• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Art Styles

Years
  • So, when we hear about anime or manga art style, most of us probably immediately think of an extremely generic example with the typical common traits. In reality though, there's actually a pretty broad selection of different artistic styles across anime and manga. Are there any that you find particularly unique and interesting, or just like more than others? What about art styles that you just don't gel with?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I like a variety of art styles, but moe blobs have a particular charm for me. Also, Arina Tanemura's art style is something I will never say no to. I've always been in love with her overall characters and extremely detailed clothing. Other than that, I'll watch pretty much anything in any art style, but there are some art styles I do not like. Tokyo Ghoul's manga art style just looks awful. But, I like the story. I just think it looks better in the anime over the manga. I don't know why, but I just... always thought the Tokyo Ghoul art style was...weird? Perfect for a horror manga, though.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • My absolute favourites are from "old-school" anime, like Sailor Moon, Evangelion, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam, Dragon Ball etc., stuff from the 60s - 90s! Especially with the shining, expressive eyes, the huge hair, the exaggerated anatomy - it's a style I really hope to emulate some day. Studio Ghibli is another favourite, simplistic but well proportioned and expressive. And any art by Kamome Shirahama is just... *chefs kiss* to die for!

I'm an extremely "visual" person so art matters to me a lot, and over the years I've become unreasonably finicky and fussy with anime styles (well... most aspects of anime, really). Now, I won't deny credit to any artist - there is no wrong style, I always appreciate the work behind it etc. - but in general, I'm hugely put off by any "generic" style, as well as things that are just too extreme, like One Piece. It's enough to actually put me off from trying them out (a bit narrow-minded, I know, but most of the time it's very easy to predict an anime from its style!). I'm also not keen on "cutesy" styles, like moe or chibi, or anything that lacks a nose haha.

I am drawn to most styles that deviate from the generic, easy-to-animate styles, especially if there is a touch of realism, like fine details and unique, expressive faces, something to really set characters apart. The Netflix Castlevania has that going for it, I think.

Years
  • I love the sleek, sharp-looking styles. The main example of this is BNA - it looks really good and super smooth. Definitely loved it from the moment I saw it. Other works by Trigger look great too, so things like Promare, Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia, and etc all have fantastic visuals!

60091f9e92cc3470113833867eec0fd13e9d1a73.gif

Also have to give lotssss of love to 'soft-looking' slice-of-life anime. Think Is the Order a Rabbit?, Dragon Maid, Urara Meirochou, and similar. These are by far the most satisfying for me to watch because they have such a nice artstyle that I adore. <3

gochiusa-istheorderarabbit.gif

OH and Mob Psycho 100 is absolutely perfect art style-wise. Most things by Bones are A+.

db844e9d4532ee503b8d7c9c85734309.gif

Not sure I have many I don't like enough to remember, since I'm very accepting usually. There probably are some but I just can't recall them off the top of my head lol.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • As far as studios goes, Bones and Madhouse have some of my favorite styles to their animations. Ufotable of course comes in there third with the flashy over the top sakuga of its fights.

As far as my general preference, I do like the 90's-00's aesthetic. I feel like a lot of shows now are too smooth and kind of lack some of the character that was in the shows of that and earlier eras. Anything else that tries to break the moulds that have been set for them in the last couple of decades also really appeal to me. "Older" examples being things like Aku no Hana, Ping Pong, and Knights of Sidonia (being made at a point where it feels CGI started to take a turn for the better as a whole and being one of the first few shows I really recall enjoying enough to follow with such a style). And then of course "newer" examples being things like Ranking of Kings, Inuyashiki, Devilman Crybaby, and Megalobox.

Years
  • anime-violet-evergarden.gif

093b2eca056cb5444e51f0d79f179aaa.gif

Violet Evergarden is also beautiful, how did I not mention it before? One of the smoothest and most beautiful art styles I've seen.

Violet Evergarden is ridiculously beautiful. That's a trademark of the studio behind it anyway but Violet Evergarden takes it to a whole new level.

Back