• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] How would you rate the new legendary birds?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Basically what it says, what are your preferences regarding the new legendary birds. For me? I'd probably say Articuno's<Zapdos's<=Moltres's.

Articuno's new form looks nice but a little too much like a recolour. But the other 2 are just jacked up insane versions of themselves which makes me prefer them. Moltres's gets the edge for being more jacked up and insane.

pkmin3033

I love how ridiculously sinister and edgy Articuno and Moltres are. Moltres is basically a Yveltal reskin of base Moltres and it looks just as fantastic as it should, and Articuno just looks like the final boss of an excessively anime video game. Complete with laser eye beams. I think that little detail is what sold it for me really.

Zapdos, though...Zapdos can go and die in a fire. The curse of being part-fighting strikes again, because it looks AWFUL.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I really like their new look. What I especially like is the way you encounter them. It feels very "open-worldy" and it's kind of cool.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I prefers Galarian Zapdos.
The original one just look like an origami to me since I was a kid and never liked it.

Zapdos > Moltres > Articuno.
Funnily in the Kantonian form it goes the other way round!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 1, 2020
Zapdos > Moltres > Articuno

Zapdos 8.5/10
I really like the design, has a really unique concept and reminds me of a Chocobo.

Moltres 7/10
Red and black = cool af.

Articuno 6/10
Too edgy, feels like a Fakemon more than anything.

Years
Going Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres. Love the Ice Psychic type and the cool owl aesthetic.

Changing this entirely after seeing the birds in game.

Moltres > Zapdos > Articuno

I really like the dark flying typing on Moltres and berserk is a great ability. Zapdos is a close second, fighting flying being another great typing but I don't like the size of its head/neck in relation to its legs any body, looks a little wonky. As for Articuno, I really liked it at first glance but it feels like it is trying way too hard. I hate the self hugging pose it constanly does and like iOddish said, "Too edgy". I was also wrong about Articunos typing.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Kantonian Birds: Articuno>=Moltres>Zapdos

Galarian Birds: Zapdos>Moltres>Articuno

I prefer the original versions of Articuno and Moltres, but I think I like Galarian Zapdos more than the original.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
3. Galarian Moltres

A wicked addition to balance Kanto's notoriously busted roster of typings. Always nice to have an extra Dark-type variant for some of the OG 151 Pokémon.

My only issue is that it lacks a good special movepool, aside from very good STAB options. It should have learned Heat Wave in particular, in my opinion.

2. Galarian Zapdos

Meep-meep! Yeah, I'm one of those people who compare it to the Roadrunner from Looney Tunes. This variant is just as good as it's Kantonian counterpart offensively. It even has the best movepool out of the three birbs. It can annihilates any Ice-type with both Close Combat, Thunderous Kick and Blaze Kick.

Defiant is always a gnarly Ability and it will be it's best weapon to hit harder each time it's on the battlefield when Defog is used.

1. Galarian Articuno

I like how sinister it is, as if it were Akumatised by Hawk Moth.

Shadow Ball is always a good tool for Psychics, and it has Recover, which is always good, as it does not have to risk bearing the brunt of an Earthquake or High Horsepower if it had Roost.

I think it fits the best with the insane new battle theme out of all the three edgier birbs.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 29, 2020
I think Galarian Articuno has to be my favourite of the three.
Its design reminds me of the purple Angry Bird in Angry Birds Space.
I like Zapdos a lot too. Its a big improvement over the original.
Moltres didn't really change much in my opinion. Im baffled as to why it didn't keep its Fire type

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 9, 2022
Articuno's stoic stance..................gotta roll with him as #1, followed by Moltres, then Zappy.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
articuno > moltres > zapdos for me, though i genuinely think they all look really good so it's not rly a ranking of best to worst, just best to...less best? lol i don't know if i exactly prefer them to the originals, though. i haven't really used them or looked at their movesets, so i don't have any comments on them as far as using them in battle goes, either.

Back