• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how would you describe pokemon to someone who's never heard of it

Years
  • Another awesome thread.

Pokemon is about meeting creatures with dangerous powers and choosing to capture and keep them within the first few minutes of meeting so you can hoard them forever as friends of breeding cattle or to fill in a digital book with pictures and wildly inaccurate facts of them.

You send these creatures out to fight and knock each other out so you can get money so you can repeat this process, you also get to fight adult's creatures to obtain shiny little badges you can keep. These tell everyone that your creatures are the best at knocking other things out.

Ahaha, I think I went a bit wild with this. I guess though as a serious answer I'd say Pokemon is about discovering that child like sense of adventure and mystery with pets/best friends by your side.

Years
  • "you travel around continent after continent collecting cute little monsters that, with enough training, will destroy anything in their path. oh, and you can pet and feed them too, I guess".

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Pokemon have a special battle style thats more so about getting stronger and improving skills than hurting each other. In fact, more likely, due to their overall powers they all posses, and their stats for battle as a whole, they probably more so get 'tired' everytime they attack or get attacked rather than anyone really getting hurt. Similar perhaps to how martial arts and wrestling work! When Pokemon can't handle the battle anymore, they faint, and will need rest at a pokemon center. Pokemon love battling other pokemon to gain levels and more power and be able to handle battles with stronger pokemon then and take on new forms. These competitions also help them and their trainers bond. They will seek out trainers and battle them to see if they can catch them and add them to their team. Its a game to the pokemon that they hope the trainer can win at. They like joining new trainers and having team mates. Pokemon are very sporty and powerful creatures with a style all their own :3

I like this thread.

Years
  • You're a kid that comes from a broken home, and your mom selfishly moved you out of your neighbourhood and away from all your friends, so now you have to make some new ones in a deadbeat hick town that only has like, one kid your age. From there, a professor inveigles you in a plot to do his work for him. You have to catch destructive monsters in tiny balls, and make them fight other destructive monsters to win money and fame and glory, so you can eventually procure the title of champion and sponsor toothpaste.

Ah yeah.

I'd also mention that its fun because I wouldn't want to scare them off.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Your mother tells you to head off to a strange lab, you've never once been in. You get introduced to the 'Professor' where they will make you start collecting data on these very special creatures, he'll let you chose one Pokemon out of the three 'Starters' of that region; which you can tame, train and care for. Those are stored inside these tiny balls, almost like a capsule, that will keep them safe, I think. You'll then travel the world; searching far and wide. Each of these Pokemon are for you to, try and understand, the power which they'll keep inside themselves. They're Pokemon; you got to catch them all, battle and collect gym badges or beat a series of trials.... and it's your destiny.

These Pokemon will become your very best friends, almost like family, as you both grow together as partners and a team, trying to reach your goal. Even when it's tough and you're about to give up, they'll be there to support and help you push through.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You enter a world where cockfighting is not only legal, but what the world's entire culture is based around. In addition to this, it is commonplace for single mothers (two-parent households are a rarity in this world) to send children between the ages of 10-14 off by themselves to engage in cockfights with other kids' pets and the local mafia. The police never really do anything about the local mafia. Said children also get the opportunity to capture immensely destructive pets worshiped as gods throughout the world who will obey any and all orders from their new child masters, as well as challenge a quartet or quintet of the country's best cockfighters in order to become the Champion Cockfighter.

If cockfighting is not your thing, you have alternative job prospects. One of these is to become a pimp and force a transforming blob called Ditto to take up a life of prostitution, where it will fuck other destructive pets up to several hundred times a day. The purpose of your new-found job as a pimp is not to make money, but rather to create an army or collection of destructive pets with selectively bred traits (killing off any imperfect specimens along the way) for yourself and others.

Another job would be to work for the strange older man or woman who always happens to live next door to you. He/she claims to be a renowned researcher and will ask you, for no pay and without supplying you, to capture every single species of destructive pet in the world, a task that seems never-ending and gets more and more difficult as time goes on, as they somehow manage to "discover" anywhere from a few dozen to a couple hundred "new" species every few years. They claim that this is for science.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    You enter a world where cockfighting is not only legal, but what the world's entire culture is based around. In addition to this, it is commonplace for single mothers (two-parent households are a rarity in this world) to send children between the ages of 10-14 off by themselves to engage in cockfights with other kids' pets and the local mafia. The police never really do anything about the local mafia. Said children also get the opportunity to capture immensely destructive pets worshiped as gods throughout the world who will obey any and all orders from their new child masters, as well as challenge a quartet or quintet of the country's best cockfighters in order to become the Champion Cockfighter.

If cockfighting is not your thing, you have alternative job prospects. One of these is to become a pimp and force a transforming blob called Ditto to take up a life of prostitution, where it will psyduck other destructive pets up to several hundred times a day. The purpose of your new-found job as a pimp is not to make money, but rather to create an army or collection of destructive pets with selectively bred traits (killing off any imperfect specimens along the way) for yourself and others.

Another job would be to work for the strange older man or woman who always happens to live next door to you. He/she claims to be a renowned researcher and will ask you, for no pay and without supplying you, to capture every single species of destructive pet in the world, a task that seems never-ending and gets more and more difficult as time goes on, as they somehow manage to "discover" anywhere from a few dozen to a couple hundred "new" species every few years. They claim that this is for science.

I once thought of it as dog fighting or cockfighting equivalent before knowing about it.. but then I learned past that ignorant perspective to see it is more like an old world wizard/warrior journey RPG like final fantasy, but mixed in the new world. Instead of being one of the fighters, you basically direct battlers on your team to battle others, learn to be stronger and get new attacks, use magic that you yourself cannot do, and you evolve in a trainer ranking system like military or boxing. You compete to be the best battler or collector ........or just enjoy collecting magical creatures. I would much rather do battling alongside the monster companions like in Dragon Rider games, but it is still a fun world to play around in.

On a cuter side.. It can be explained as a world where magical creatures with different elemental powers live and can be caught or befriended. You can train them to be strong battlers to compete with others, become someone who hands out medals for accomplishing certain strength rankings, or you live as normal world people do, but with the assistance of your magical pets. In the gaming world, it is more about the competition, collecting, and ranking... since that is a big attraction in video games. There are festivals all of the time to recognize and appreciate the magical creatures and so many occupations that care for and contribute to protecting the magical creatures, so it should not be looked at as a world that uses and abuses. They are treated as pets and animals should be... co-existing on the planet.

Pieman50

Pokemon Maniac
    Years
  • "Imagine a world where everything; I mean EVERYTHING can be a superpowered, mythical, magical creature or item, and imagine they all have the innate ability to use moves that equate to DBZ-level attacks. Then, up the cuteness factor by 500% and add RPG elements. Welcome to Pokemon."

Back