• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sword Art Online RP

Which Location?

• Floors 90-100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hollow Area

• Every 10th Floor

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Other (post suggestion)

• Total voters

(Drakath)

The Champion of Chaos
Years
  • I was thinking of doing an SAO RP. (3rd one on this forum) However, instead of going through all 100 Floors, we'd only do the last ten. (or every 10th floor to show progression) There would be 10 RPers and each would have one of the ten unique skills in SAO. (8 of which unlock on floor 90) Another idea would be to use the Hollow Area, (uncharted territory for SAO RPs) which would be like 5 Floors, but there'd be much less direction unless I make a plot of my own for it. (Because the original Hollow Area plot revolves around Philia, who wouldn't be a character in the RP)

Both would be mostly sandbox except for floor progression, which would be done through quests that lead you to the boss room to unlock the next floor. The SAO mechanics like Skills, Levels, ect. would still apply but they wouldn't affect much in terms of the RP, just little things to keep in mind as you write. If you remember "SAO Sanctuary" this RP would play much the same way just on a smaller, less intimidating scale.

So, any questions, opinions, or ideas? (Btw I won't start this RP until the summer)

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Uh, I'm not a fan of assigning players to elements/unique powers/starter Pokemon, etc. since I feel it boxes people in; your character either seems like the "type" to own a Charmander or subverts others' expectations of someone with that Fire-type. I'd recommend permitting players to choose whichever skill on the established ten and disregard potential overlap for creativity's sake. I'd also recommend dropping the character limit to correspond with the nature of an open sandbox.

Don't rely on prior knowledge regarding the SAO universe. The show has as many opponents as it does fans so being sure to elaborate on canon details like the labyrinth, the ten unique skills, and really what Sword Art Online is all about would be beneficial; it doesn't limit you in terms of what players you're bringing in, you can interest outsiders as well.

I'll admit my perspective of the show was largely influenced by anime reviewers who saw little good in it. A major point of criticism is a lack of coherency regarding the MMO 'verse the anime takes place predominantly in. Would you plan on addressing any loopholes within the game world and expanding on other aspects for your roleplay?

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • If you are going to do special abilities, the players getting to chose what they get would be the best way to handle that. Say, having them create an SU for said ability and then crossing certain abilities off the list when people get accepted is one acceptable method of doing so.

Be sure to include brief summaries of anything you do port over into the RP, some people haven't watched SAO and won't understand the concept. Even then, its always good to have things written down so there is no confusion late on anyway.

As for how you handle progression, I don't really see any reason to do it one way or the other. Whatever seems most fun to you. Starting at level 1 and seeing how far you can get before the RP ends could be fun, but then again if you want to have everyone start off already powerful and known at floor 90 that too could be entertaining.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Oh man, I remember there was a SAO roleplay back in my day. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=289672

I wasn't around when Sanctuary was live, so I have zero knowledge of that.

If you do bring one, just be wary of the mechanics used in the anime/light novel. They're pretty complex, and a lot to take in. The most you could do is note what weapons your character uses, as well as any non-combat skills they use, such as cooking.

Leveling system is a must as well, and you'll have to emphasize on that too.

Looking forward to it if you do so! I'll be recycling my character.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I'd be interested. Depending on how long you actually want to run it, I'd say either do the hollow area (shorter and more detailed) or every 10 levels (longer with more skipping/summarization).

Back