• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen your favorite glitch?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • I just started playing Pokémon Blue for the first time recently - first time of any Gen I game, actually - and I've been having a lot of fun messing with some of the glitches. Brock skip is fun, as is the fact that you can use an extension of it to skip Mount Moon entirely. Everyone also knows about the Mew and MissingNo glitches, which are also very cool.
    I'm just wondering, for those of you who've messed with some of the more complex ones, which was your favorite? What did you use it to do?

The full list for anyone who wants to read more about how hilariously broken Gen I can be.

clefairydesuyo

fairy type pokétrainer
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    Although like you say, everyone knows it now, hunting for Missingno. and lv100 Pokémon by Cinnebar Island was my favorite past time. I've not tried it recently but when I played Blue originally about 15yrs ago, that was my favourite thing to do post-game.

Years
  • Using the old man/Missingno. glitch is by far and away my favorite, and definitely the most time I spent exploiting (I mean, who didn't want infinite Rare Candies as a kid?). Getting to Glitch City after leaving the Safari Zone was another one of my favorites too, and I remember picking up the game on more than one occasion just to try and get there, haha.

I kind of forgot how many glitches there actually were in the first gen games, though. When I get a chance, I should probably try a couple out, as there are plenty (like the Mew glitch) that I've never even attempted.

Years
  • I like most of the glitches, it's fun to watch people do them. I can't remember how to do any of them now but I learnt them as a kid.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Does the OP Psychic type count as a glitch? Because that was very useful haha.

Guest123_x1

Probably my favorite Gen I glitch is the infamous MissingNo Old Man Glitch. I exploited this one quite a bit in Blue when I had it in physical Game Boy Game Pak form to duplicate rare items such as Master Balls and Nuggets, as well as some others that couldn't be bought in PokéMarts.

Another one high on the list is the experience underflow glitch affecting Pokémon that have 1,059,860 EXP at level 100, such as the standard starter trio, Pidgey, and Mew. Then, there's the more mundane glitch of standing on a tree when you resume your game from your last save point, giving players a good laugh.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • I really liked getting Gengar in the Viridian Forrest via "Shhh!! You'll scare the bugs away!."

When I was 10 years old my copy of Pokemon yellow got destroyed-- my baby cousin found the cartridge and chewed on the game :(
    I lost all of the data including the pokedex I had completed. But one of the things that hurt me most was losing gengar. He was traded to me by a best friend who moved away. I was too disappointed to buy the game again and start over, the sentimental attachment wouldn't be there.

Not too long ago I decided in a fit of boredom after all these years to play Pokemon yellow on emulator. One of the highlights was having the OP clowny lil ghost in my party again. I didn't previously know how to glitch to get him, more importantly to hold gengar again reminded me of my friend Jenna on long island :)

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I really liked getting Gengar in the Viridian Forrest via "Shhh!! You'll scare the bugs away!."

When I was 10 years old my copy of Pokemon yellow got destroyed-- my baby cousin found the cartridge and chewed on the game :(
    I lost all of the data including the pokedex I had completed. But one of the things that hurt me most was losing gengar. He was traded to me by a best friend who moved away. I was too disappointed to buy the game again and start over, the sentimental attachment wouldn't be there.

Not too long ago I decided in a fit of boredom after all these years to play Pokemon yellow on emulator. One of the highlights was having the OP clowny lil ghost in my party again. I didn't previously know how to glitch to get him, more importantly to hold gengar again reminded me of my friend Jenna on long island :)

ugh, cousins :p

my favorite glitch is the professor oak fight glitch.

Yoni Arousement

PKHeX User
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Being able to obtain any Pokémon corresponding to your Pokémon's special stat, or should I say the Mew glitch?

Years
  • Definitely the Mew glitch, since I love Mew so much. Also like the Missingo one of course :3

Back