• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Beginnings of sorts

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Hey what's up. Some of you know me some of you don't, not really important to be fair. I used to play tons of mons back in dpp days but then gen 5 came in and pretty much blew a load on competitive battling so I decided to stay away from that but gen 6 man, gen 6 is the bee's knees, the cat's meow the holy grail, it's hellafun and crazy good. This is my team for it. (order doesnt matter) I play on showdown, not wifi so consider that when giving advice and critiquing sets, I follow the smogon metagame as well for tiering.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Cute Charm
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Moonblast
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Shadow Ball

I honestly just picked it cause it's Fairy type and during my preliminary run through in gen 6 when I just used the top 6 pokes I decided I need a Fairy. Typcal defensive Eevelution set tbh wish to wish prot to prot. Moonblast and Shadow ball for damage. Guy's cool. I'm open to suggestions on him. Willing to replace.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 216 Def / 236 HP / 56 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed
    - Focus Punch
    - Spore

Breloom was my favorite dpp mon and is probably my favorite pokemon of all time tbh. Not really important because I'll replace him if I can but subseed is probably the best and most annoying set so I went with it. Yeah I lose coverage with only having FP to damage and I get walled by that stupid ghost/grass thing and gliscor (although subseeding can outstall if things fall in place). Spore is to force a switch or give me a free chance to set up. Also a great rotom-w check/counter whichever. As well as others. Pretty bulky set lets me take a couple of hits as well.

Heatran @ Chesto Berry
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Will-O-Wisp

Fire Water Grass. Heatran is the fire. Great typing, great ability, decent movepool and good stats. Classic defensive set, might consider swapping will-o-wisp for toxic. chesto berry is to get smeargle leads. Might consider taunt in place of will o wisp too now that i think about it.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split
    - Volt Switch

Rotom-w for Wumbo. Typical set I guess for gen 5/6 rotom. Great set, works wonders and is a good starter if I dont feel comfortable with heatran going first based on potential matchups. hpump and vswitch for damage and to scout. will-o-wisp for physical threats and pain split to heal. typical ev's and nature. might consider timid nature.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - Brave Bird
    - Will-O-Wisp

HOly crap I love this thing. Brave Bird pretty much 2HKO's everything. Not really everything but a lot of things. great for a late game sweep to spam brave bird. u-turn for early scouting before SR is up, flare blitz for skeez0r and foretress and that frisbee ufo thing with vines. kinda wanna keep it unless there are better cb users like him. but i mean priority stab 120bp is hard to beat.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Spd / 12 HP / 236 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - Brick Break
    - Bug Bite

skeez0r is skeez0r. dont think i really need to explain this one. great sweeper once it gets set up. really love this guy. not getting rid of him. kind of my centerpiece of the whole team. ev's are random and looked good when i threw it together so i just rolled with it. not sure if optimal.

so that's my team. been doing okay so far on the ladder but that's just the ladder. full of scrubs and noobs like me that dont know what we are doing. i hope its not too awful but it's fun and im having a blast.seriously excited for gen 6. woo! bye.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Lum Berry may be better for Heatran to cure other statuses in general.

Since Gale Wings gives Talonflame's Flying moves priority, Talonflame can afford to invest in bulk: 192 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/60 Spe. Brave Bird is supposed to be Talonflame's main sweeping tool; anything that's slower can be taken out with Flare Blitz instead.

Roost is the better option for Mega Scizor because it needs recovery to stay around and Mega Scizor lacks the passive recovery of Leftovers (this can go over Brick Break; Steel Pokemon can already be handled by teammates). Also, a better bulky spread would be 248 HP/16 Atk/244 SDef, as most of Scizor's resists are Special and its Defense is high enough anyways.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Is it just me or is Shadow Ball a stupid move on Sylveon? It doesn't hit anything remotely relevant apart from Gengar but tbh you shouldnt even be trying to beat that. Use Calm Mind or Toxic.

Breloom is really so bad now im at a loss as to why you'd even use it. Its hard walled by grass types now as Spore doesnt effect them which is bad considering MegaSaur, Trevenant, Gourgeist etc are everywhere. Fairys also stop it to a lesser extent and the sleep timer was also reset to DP mechanics. Blarg, there are better grass types tbh but whatever. Also you dont beat Gliscor because it outspeeds you and has Ice Fang and Taunt. :/

Chesto Berry is a waste on Heatran, use leftovers and give it some sp.def evs or make it offensive. Powder moves and Spore dont affect grass types so you have a free switch into Smeargle leads with Breloom even without Toxic Orb activated.

If you're using Talonflame id use a Defogger or Spinner or its rather useless.

Hope this helps.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Lum Berry may be better for Heatran to cure other statuses in general.

Since Gale Wings gives Talonflame's Flying moves priority, Talonflame can afford to invest in bulk: 192 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/60 Spe. Brave Bird is supposed to be Talonflame's main sweeping tool; anything that's slower can be taken out with Flare Blitz instead.

Roost is the better option for Mega Scizor because it needs recovery to stay around and Mega Scizor lacks the passive recovery of Leftovers (this can go over Brick Break; Steel Pokemon can already be handled by teammates). Also, a better bulky spread would be 248 HP/16 Atk/244 SDef, as most of Scizor's resists are Special and its Defense is high enough anyways.

yeah i think ill run lum. that way i dont have to worry about para even though its not a real issue but whatever.

ill also change that ev spread and ill consider roost. so far i havent had problems not having it.

Is it just me or is Shadow Ball a stupid move on Sylveon? It doesn't hit anything remotely relevant apart from Gengar but tbh you shouldnt even be trying to beat that. Use Calm Mind or Toxic.

Breloom is really so bad now im at a loss as to why you'd even use it. Its hard walled by grass types now as Spore doesnt effect them which is bad considering MegaSaur, Trevenant, Gourgeist etc are everywhere. Fairys also stop it to a lesser extent and the sleep timer was also reset to DP mechanics. Blarg, there are better grass types tbh but whatever. Also you dont beat Gliscor because it outspeeds you and has Ice Fang and Taunt. :/

Chesto Berry is a waste on Heatran, use leftovers and give it some sp.def evs or make it offensive. Powder moves and Spore dont affect grass types so you have a free switch into Smeargle leads with Breloom even without Toxic Orb activated.

Hope this helps.

shadow ball was just suggested on smogon so i ran with it. will consider toxic or cm. yeah breloom is really effed by grassmons but i think with heatran and talonflame im doing okay to keep them away. if it gets to be a worse than it is.

also i didnt know that about grass types so ill consider that. lol.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

Hope this helps.

Shadow Ball is used on Sylveon because it's a good option for hitting Steel types (who no longer resist Ghost) since Moonblast doesn't effect them much, and it doesn't learn Focus Blast. Hidden Power is a bit weak, and is a pain in the ass to get the right one sometimes. So TC, keep your Syvleon set as is.

Now that I think about, Breloom's not as good as it used to be due to Fairies and the whole Grass is unaffected by spore thing. Which is fine by me; opposing Brelooms irritated me.

And I agree with you, he doesn't need Talonflame since he has Heatran, and his team doesn't exactly have room for a spinner. So he should use Starraptor instead. It does the same stuff, but has more power and less of a Stealth Rock weakness.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Shadow Ball is used on Sylveon because it's a good option for hitting Steel types (who no longer resist Ghost) since Moonblast doesn't effect them much, and it doesn't learn Focus Blast. Hidden Power is a bit weak, and is a pain in the ass to get the right one sometimes. So TC, keep your Syvleon set as is.

Now that I think about, Breloom's not as good as it used to be due to Fairies and the whole Grass is unaffected by spore thing. Which is fine by me; opposing Brelooms irritated me.

And I agree with you, he doesn't need Talonflame since he has Heatran, and his team doesn't exactly have room for a spinner. So he should use Starraptor instead. It does the same stuff, but has more power and less of a Stealth Rock weakness.

I dont think Shadow Ball is doing anything significant to steel types tbh, an unstabbed neutral hit for mediocre damage, i just dont see the point. :/ I mean its kind of like Skarm running Rock Slide over WW to hit bulky Gyarados, Salamence and Zapdos. It doesn't exactly accomplish much really in the grand scheme of things when they all still beat it lol. Toxic or CM also stop it becoming set up fodder for things that can stat boost and heal to an extent. Also on a relevant note resisted Moonblast hits steels for 10 power less than a neutral Shadow Ball.

As for the Staraptor thing, i feel priority Brave Bird is a massive loss from Talonflame so im not sure if its worth passing it up, especially in regards to revenge killing and this team is rather slow.

You could use Defog/Roost/U-Turn/BP Scizor to remove rocks and to form a volt turn core with Rotom-W and switch Talonflame to Swords Dance/Roost. Kills (sorry for this pun) two birds with one stone. ;)

EDIT: I guess if you're desperate to hit Jirachi, Metagross, Zong and Aegislash with Sylveon you could use Shadow Ball. Still Meta and Jirachi still win cos they outspeed, meh not like anyone uses Meta, Jirachi or Zong anymore lol.

Last edited:

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • Just wanted to throw this in there. Assuming from the Heatran, this is a post-PokeBank team. That means Sylveon can have Hyper Voice, which gets a 30% boost and gets turned to Fairy type (With Pixelate), and hits through Subs. Also removes the need for Shadow Ball because as Elf said, will now do more than Shadow Ball would to said Pokemon (Unless it's Heatran or Gengar).

Also welcome back ^.^ I definitely remember you.

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • thanks for the feedback. Now that I'm climbing up the ladder a ways, I can see where Breloom is starting to become a hindrance more than an asset. I want to keep the subseed thing if possible, even if on another poke like Celebi or Venusaur or whatever is good in OU that is grass. I thought about running megavenu and swapping scizor for genesect but I'm not 100% yet.

Also CM on Sylveon, while useful in some cases, is kind of awful. I think I'll run toxic for a bit.

Staraptor for Talonflame is an idea I'm not willing to entertain. The priority brave bird is what makes talonflame so good, so I would just drop it for a slower, slightly stronger poke? Doesn't seem good. Even switching in at 50% from SR I can just spam BB and do at least 25% to whatever switches in, in most cases.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • thanks for the feedback. Now that I'm climbing up the ladder a ways, I can see where Breloom is starting to become a hindrance more than an asset. I want to keep the subseed thing if possible, even if on another poke like Celebi or Venusaur or whatever is good in OU that is grass. I thought about running megavenu and swapping scizor for genesect but I'm not 100% yet.

Trevenant@Sitrus Berry
    252 HP / 140 Sp. Def / 116 Speed
    Careful Nature | Harvest
    Will-O-Wisp
    Leech Seed
    Substitute
    Phantom Force

Super annoying and useful. Also a spinblocker.

Back