• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation 8 Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
  • Here we go again ;) :

-Two or three new Eeveelutions
    -Dawn stone evolution of a female Kirlia (make her something like a diva)
    -Dawn stone evolution of a male snorunt (make him like father frost)
    -Remake of D/P
    -Finally pokemon having voices instead of cries
    -Cave bear fossil pokemon

Cave Bear would be soo coool!
    But, I really hope they don't add move voices.
    It just doesn't feel right to me. :/

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Cave Bear would be soo coool!
    But, I really hope they don't add move voices.
    It just doesn't feel right to me. :/

1.Yeah i went to Cave bears's cave at the end of summer and was sad about them
    2.Oh OK

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    A split villain storyline to where if you pick a certain path to follow through the towns, it allows them to develop or obtain certain pokemon or advantages. That way you kind of create the villains' team as you go through your storyline. Maybe your rival could even become one of the villain team either by choice or psychic pokemon manipulation. Then you also have to rescue them from a fallen path.

I also want more eeveelutions ...

....and type mix ups for other pokemon with ice and/or electric (my faves). I need an Ice/Electric, Dark/Electric, ...

I would like to see more people living non-trainer lives, but having pokemon.. firefighters, people hospitals, farmers, carpenters, mad scientists, math teachers, mail delivery services, ..

I would like to see pokemon with habitat influence on appearances like Shellos and wormadam.

darker skin tones

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    honestly the only want i have is that if there is a pokemon that would be perfect for that region to idk ... actually have it be a native in that region (unless they do another gen five and do all new pokemon). i'm still sorely bitter that even though bellossom would've been perfect for alola oddish wasn't native in SM nor USUM.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    A more in-depth character creation would be nice. Aka Fall Out. People say gen 8 will be on Switch. If so, a greater level of character creation should be possible.

& more dragons of course; my favorite type. Personally, I would like it if they broke the mold & introduced more starter types; like dragon, electric, steel, etc.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I just really want it to be less frustrating than Generation VII. That doesn't mean make it easy, that just means take away stuff like the Pokemon calling for other Pokemon feature. Also make different difficulty settings to set from the beginning.

Also please no influence from LGP/E. None whatsoever. Any sneaking bit of that in the new games and it will prove my worries right that they will be the ruin of this series and I don't want that.

Years
  • I want a return to the 8 gym system. The island challenge was fun, but I just feel like the formula of having 8 gyms is huge in the series. Also, Gen 4 remakes. Please. I need to see my favorite region in HD.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Good looking protagonists. No seriously, that's my biggest want for gen8. The male can be anything because they've always been consistently ok and I always play as the male even if he has a weird design or whatnot, though I'd like to finally have a good deigned female protag because we haven't had one in a while

Years
  • Okay, let's see...
    • Take advantage of the Switch hardware - I would like to see entirely new engine that puts the game into true 3D with free camera. Graphics that doesn't look like the game is made for 3DS would also me nice.
    • Characters that actually feel like people - One of the biggest disappointments in Gen VII were characters. Main protagonist has only 1 expression and there is only one character that had believable development - Lillie (and then they cut it off in the Ultra versions). Other characters have only one thing that they keep repeating over and over again. Can't we go back to the Gen I, II and V characters?
    • Decisions that actually matter or no decision at all - Since Gen VI, GF tried to put some kind of decisions and dialogue in the games, but they never made any impact on the story. It was annoying and useless. I feel like it would be much better to just remove them from the next games if they can't make good use of them.
    • Better distribution of Pokémon - It was really hard to catch Kalos Pokémon in Gen VI. It was a better in Gen VII with Alola Pokémon, but still not on the level of Gen III or Gen IV. I would like to see Gen VIII Pokémon being the most common Pokémon on each Route with Pokémon from other Gens being rare encounters. I would also like to see less Legendary and Mythical Pokémon, because they are boring most of the time and don't really have ties to the region.
    • Side quests for Legendary/Mythical Pokémon - Continuing from the last point, make getting these Pokémon more rewarding. Gen IV got it right, so why not doing it again?
    • Please don't suck - Last thing I wish for is for the Gen VIII games to be good, enjoyable and challenging. Games that feel like 2019 games, not like 1996 games.

Years
  • I'll be happy as long as it's a pretty standard core Pokemon game to be honest xD.

BUT, one thing that could put me off buying the game, is forced motion controls, including when the Switch is in TV Mode. So, I really hope you can play the entire game with the "Pro" Controller.

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • OK, so considering this topic got bumped, I might as well share an idea I've had floating around that could work in Gen 8.

So one major problem not just with Pokemon games, but with a few other games as of late, is that they pile tutorial after tutorial on the player (I'm looking at YOU, Dream Team...) and honestly, this needs to stop. So what I'm gonna suggest is to first off, make every tutorial optional. Granted, that will definitely be useful to the veteran players because they don't want to be babied, but here's the twist - add some kind of guidebook. You keep this guidebook in your bag all the time, and you can open it whenever and wherever and watch the tutorials whenever you want. That way, there'll be no need to force tutorials down our throats and any tutorial, whether you accept it or not, will be saved to the guidebook. I can imagine that conversations that trigger tutorials will unfold like this:

Tutorial giver: "Hey, do you know how to catch a Pokemon?"
    >selects Yes
    Tutorial-giver: "Good, you seem to know the basics. I'll put this down in your guidebook so if you get stuck, you can take a look!"

What are your thoughts on this?

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    OK, so considering this topic got bumped, I might as well share an idea I've had floating around that could work in Gen 8.

So one major problem not just with Pokemon games, but with a few other games as of late, is that they pile tutorial after tutorial on the player (I'm looking at YOU, Dream Team...) and honestly, this needs to stop. So what I'm gonna suggest is to first off, make every tutorial optional. Granted, that will definitely be useful to the veteran players because they don't want to be babied, but here's the twist - add some kind of guidebook. You keep this guidebook in your bag all the time, and you can open it whenever and wherever and watch the tutorials whenever you want. That way, there'll be no need to force tutorials down our throats and any tutorial, whether you accept it or not, will be saved to the guidebook. I can imagine that conversations that trigger tutorials will unfold like this:

Tutorial giver: "Hey, do you know how to catch a Pokemon?"
    >selects Yes
    Tutorial-giver: "Good, you seem to know the basics. I'll put this down in your guidebook so if you get stuck, you can take a look!"

What are your thoughts on this?

It's a good idea. It's been done before kinda, with the Teachy TV. And GSC had a catch tutorial but you could actually say no and skip it. Don't know why GF doesn't do these things now.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I've lost a lot of hope for Gen 8 and future gens but whatever. But I've got some more things to say, that may sound harsh. These things probably will come true more often than not though.

No GO connectivity please. Please don't let Let's GO be the standard for core games from now on. In fact I can't believe Let's GO is considered a core game. Who's the genius behind that?

No more overpowered Pokemon. I'm sick of these shiny new toys to impress people by raising the power levels like DBZ. I really dislike Ultra Beasts. It kind of overshadows the rest of the new pokemon as well in the eyes of most fans, as they are all about tiers these days.

Stop with the Kanto focus, Kanto has been in the spotlight since its inception. There's nothing to be nostalgic about anymore if it's shoved in our faces every single year. But seeing how we're getting another Mewtwo movie, I'm pretty pessimistic about this.

Make tutorials optional. Pokemon mechanics are incredibly simple to get use to, and most fans at this point have probably played more than one pokemon game so yeah. And people like to say it's for the new demographic but like I said, pokemon is already easy to grasp. It's not like they'll accidentally break their game trying to understand how to catch a pokemon.

Please at least upgrade a lot of old pokemon. besides gen 1, because of your obsessive power creep GF, a lot of old pokemon are in the dust basically. At least try to balance your game better. Try not to rely on gimmicks or cross gen evos, just give them better stats/moves/abilties, how hard could that be?

Add more content into the base game. Some post game things besides the generic battle facility would be nice.

Make your game worth $60, not just $60 in price. Don't be lazy and try to disguise your Pokemon game as a quality Switch game if it's no improvement over gen 7. Don't be like other companies like Bethesda with Fallout 76, where they think they can exploit their fans unearned loyalty. At least make use of the Switch's better hardware.

Better distribution of pokemon. Sick of seeing Gen 1 pokemon everywhere. It's like the BW backlash has made them do the opposite which sucks.

Make legendary/mythical pokemon available in game and make it feel earned like doing side quests for it and not just another event hand out.

Focus on your core games first and don't keep relying on remakes or GO to keep fans interested.

Keep the games separated from the anime. Ash-Greninja really should not exist. It's basically a fanfiction form some how made canon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I just really want it to be less frustrating than Generation VII. That doesn't mean make it easy, that just means take away stuff like the Pokemon calling for other Pokemon feature. Also make different difficulty settings to set from the beginning.

Also please no influence from LGP/E. None whatsoever. Any sneaking bit of that in the new games and it will prove my worries right that they will be the ruin of this series and I don't want that.

I highly doubt that they will do that because they intend on having Let's Go exist as a subseries.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2020
    Pokémon: Ultra Sun & Moon introduced ride Pokémon, an enhanced daycare system, Pokémon pictures, an enhanced battle UI, and the removal of HMs.

Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu & Evee introduced the ability to rename Pokémon nicknames, an enhanced PC Box, and the removal of random encounters.

These features have significantly improved the playing experience Pokémon video games offer.
    However, there are a few more features the core-series needs to implement before it can once again be as dominant as it was during generations 1-3.

You can read my full Feature Request List as a PDF on Google Drive (see signature link).

Last edited:

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • My main hopes are about the size and scope of the region:

1- While I wouldn't be necessarily against an open world game, I fear that it could end up being a mostly featureless world with long travel times and few things to do. As I've always liked Pokémon regions being set in a series of routes, I don't want them to depart from that and just hope they could take some ideas from a game like Super Mario Odyssey: the individual kingdoms in it aren't that large, but they are packed with things to do and discover that they seem far larger than they actually are. Of course they're two completely different genres and part of the size in Odyssey was because of warp-pipe sub-levels, but I think it could be in some way adapted to Pokémon by having things like small caves or secret passages leading to areas where for example rare Pokémon could be found, or with rare items, or maybe even small themed sets of battles, or just additional lore/easter eggs. Less linear routes with more connections, maybe with secret or optional shortcuts between them (maybe tie them to particular achievements: I'm thinking for example of the cave in Sinnoh leading to the upper chamber of the ruins with Unown), would imho make the game feel bigger without even needing a real open world.

2- More of the above, I just wish a less linear region with more areas aside from the main path (or maybe even having some parts where you can choose where to go next, splitting the storyline for a short time) and more towns that make the region feel more alive, adding lore (I'm thinking of towns like Celestic or Pacifidlog). In other words, I wouldn't like having another Unova where it's so linear there's just a city with a gym - route - gym city - route - gym city - etc. Sinnoh and to a lesser extent Hoenn too did this best imho.

Years
  • Here is mine:

Default Protagoinst Having Blonde Hair: It would be great if they add an protagoinst that does have an blonde hair as their default appearances instead of brown hair that are common protagoinst in every series. I am very sick to see Pokemon protagoinst of the player control being brown, and i'd love to see an Protagoinst having blonde as its default appearances.
    Region set in China based: It would be great if Gen 8 was set on region based on China setting, all of the NPC players might also have traditional chinese clothes instead of modern clothes (although some peopel still wear one). Also, there should be an Gym Leader who is an Martial arts and specializes in Fighting-type Pokemon, but female cousin being an minor character in the game.
    More Mega Evolution: It would be great if Game Freak developers to add more Mega Evolution i want some 8 Pokemon that have an potetional to have an Mega Evolutions, these are: Chansey, Weavile, Zangoose, Seviper, Serperior, Emboar, and Samurott & Typhlosion
    The Return of Gym Leaders: It would be great if Pokemon had return its traditional role of Gym Leaders instead of an Island Challege, the Island Challenge is for Alola users only.

That's all

(sorry for my poor English)

Years
  • Things I would love to see in a Pokemon game:

- No classical grass/fire/water starter choices, but a sort of Safari Zone-style minigame in which you can catch a starter from a multitude of options. Or maybe get assigned a starter based on a personality test like in Mystery Dungeon.
    - Early and possibly multiple options for every Pokemon type, including the rarer types such as Ice, Ghost, Steel and Dragon. If needed, create some new Pokemon of these types (and please don't bother adding more generic Water, Normal and Bug types). Why do we not have somewhat weak, but easy to catch early-game Pokemon of these types? The Dark type got them from gen 3 onward (Poochyena, Purrloin…).
    - Getting money from missions, like a freelancer for a Pokemon company, instead of from every battle. Something similar to the Mystery Dungeon games would work.
    - A more open-world experience. Like, you don't need to be able to go anywhere right from the start, but it shouldn't be as linear as it usually is. (Kanto and Johto were decent, but not ideal since the route designs were still pretty bland and you couldn't really stray from the route)
    - Actually tough Gyms/boss fights. I don't care if they retain the classical Gym idea, or the Trial idea from Alola, or something new entirely. I just want it to be a challenge – I want to be forced to either grind furiously or devise elaborate strategies (preferably the latter).
    - A decent post-game, such as the Sevii Islands in FR/LG, Stark Mountain and surrounding areas in D/P/Pt, or like half of Unova in B/W2.
    - An elaborate and complicated battle system, but without the endless breeding/EV training. Like, it needs to be difficult to design a good team, but not too time-consuming to actually bring it to life.
    - The Battle Frontier needs to return in some form or another.
    - Cool map designs that make you feel more immersed into the world. I've actually seen some stuff on this forum that would be awesome.

Things they should discontinue:

- Mega Evolutions.
    - Z-moves.
    - Alolan forms. If they really must do variations on existing Pokemon, at least give them a new name and a Pokedex number (like how Turtonator is a separate Pokemon and not Torkoal's Alolan form)
    - Ultra Beasts.
    - The sheer amount of legendaries and mythicals. I don't mind a bunch of new Pokemon, but please just make them normal, non-OP Pokemon you can capture multiple times.
    - The Exp. Share.
    - Connectivity with Pokemon Go. Even though I've learned to appreciate Pokemon Go in its own right, it really needs to remain something completely separate from the main games.

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
    Years
  • Wants:
    4+ rivals, and i want them to battle the player after gyms or before the gyms(Not all together, but 1 rival at 1 gym)

Atleast 100/150 new pokemon, some new evolutions for old generations, for example 1 for Tauros pre evolution and 1 final with 1 extra type.

The return of Team rocket Jesse/james/meowth with new pokemon and no double battles. Or a new similiar team like Jesse/james > Butch/kasedy.

Something similiar to Vs seeker and Dex nav and the old phone call thing that appeared in Crystal/gold/silver games( All 3 together in 1 but with more new unique features)

Special Gym rematch and special Elite four rematch (For example like in fire red after league you get to see Lorelei but don't battle her) I would like to see something similiar after or before the official gym/elite four battles. That they have 1 or 2 pokemon similiar like the Rival and later you find out they were /or became Gym leaders/Elite four members.

All 3 starters with 1 extra type at the first evolution (Fire/Fairy) (Grass/Steel) (Water/Dragon).

Unexpected scenes: Where you would never guess that something like that would happen. (The good guy is in reality a bad villain or similiar)

New animation scenes similiar to Let;s go games where you see Scenes like the starter choosing, but before you battle someone special like Rival/Gym etc some unique Animations.

HM returning or some other new name but similiar style.

A chance to choose your destiny: If you choose Hero you will do what you normally do in older games. If you Choose Villain option(rocket) you battle trainers/hero/Elite four similiar as when you are the Hero but with some unique difference like the option to STEAL the pokemon after battle or before the battle one pokemon you can steal with some unique feature(Catch grappler and steal 1 pokeball containing a pokemon from the other trainer).

Atleast 1 extra region where new EliteFour/ new gyms are etc. (Cause Switch has more power than older systems so 1 extra region would not be a problem?)

Bike return or also a ''CAR'' option.

The return of the ''TRAIN'' to visit other places, new and old. And the possible option to battle unique people inside trainers similiar to the SS.N from Kanto to travel inside train (Not as Battle facility)

A new Battle frontier similiar to the first frontier, But with the chance to battle your rival or unique trainer who you encountered before the frontier. A tournament frontier(something similiar like in the anime)

Some anime Trainers/Gyms/ Like Misty/brock etc to appear.

The option to choose if you want Contest to appear or not, for example if you choose the Hero male you won't find contest/dance facility. If you choose Heroine Female you will do Dance/Contest stuff but less Gym battles/elite four but some new things.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back