• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code: Move Resource Thread

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    the routine that was jumping to the wrong place, now stopped freezing when it attacks.

Spoiler:

I keep freezing

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    I'm wondering if someone has done Thousand Arrows animation for Emeral? I was thinking of using Water Spout with another particle like Fury Attack's but idk how to do something as complicated as that.

Years
  • This is Water Shuriken for Fire Red.
    I just repointed Swift Animation and replaced the stars by water balls.

00 AB 27 00 A4 27 0A 03 0C 0C 08 19 C7 00 C0 02 80 5A 3E 08 83 07 14 00 F6 FF 14 00 00 00 16 00 14 00 01 00 04 05 19 C7 00 C0 02 80 5A 3E 08 83 07 14 00 F6 FF 14 00 05 00 16 00 EE FF 01 00 04 05 19 C7 00 C0 02 80 5A 3E 08 83 07 14 00 F6 FF 14 00 F6 FF 16 00 0F 00 01 00 03 1D 8B 09 08 02 05 01 00 02 00 00 00 12 00 01 00 03 1D 8B 09 08 02 05 03 00 02 00 00 00 12 00 01 00 04 05 19 C7 00 C0 02 98 5A 3E 08 83 07 14 00 F6 FF 14 00 00 00 16 00 EC FF 01 00 04 05 19 C7 00 C0 02 80 5A 3E 08 83 07 14 00 F6 FF 14 00 00 00 16 00 0C 00 01 00 04 05 05 0B 03 0D 08

PS: If you use in your project, dont forget to give me credits.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    What's the code that represents the healing animation such as with Absorb, Mega Drain, Moonlight and how can I remove it from an animation. For example I want to use the Moonlight animation, but without the healing animation

VentZX00

''Lord Of Graphics''
    Years
  • Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, I want to share this animation of Water Pulse that I ported from DPPT
    Only for FR
    Spoiler:

Here is the BG (made by me)
    Spoiler:

Here is the result (and yes, I work on a rom in Spanish)
    Hidropulso_DPPT.gif

I hope you like it, I have more animations and attack particles made and that I will share soon

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023

VentZX00

''Lord Of Graphics''
    Years
  • Really cool and useful. These will help me to re-create those effects
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUTETNrWTY

If you'd like to try replicate these animations, feel free to do it.
    You can rip/create BW particles effect as well?
    For now I only know how to merge animations, and I am one of those who replace graphics (in this case, attack particles and BG)
    I am slowly learning how to make animations

Last edited:

VentZX00

''Lord Of Graphics''
    Years
  • I have recreated one of the Sword / Shield animations, Scorching Sands.
    It was basically mixing Heat Wave and Tackle
    Spoiler:

The result is not the same, but you can see this video: https://www.wikidex.net/wiki/Archivo:Arenas_ardientes_EpEc.webm
    And make a comparison
    Arenas_Ardientes.gif

Edit: I just watched the video again, and forgot to add another Tackle to the animation ....
    Edit 2: I fixed it

Last edited:

Scalior72

Tohru72
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2022
    I have recreated one of the Sword / Shield animations, Scorching Sands.
    It was basically mixing Heat Wave and Tackle
    Spoiler:

The result is not the same, but you can see this video: https://www.wikidex.net/wiki/Archivo:Arenas_ardientes_EpEc.webm
    And make a comparison
    Arenas_Ardientes.gif

Edit: I just watched the video again, and forgot to add another Tackle to the animation ....
    Edit 2: I fixed it

Well, I love to see how rom hacking advances every day and this type of contribution is wonderful because if your project is advanced you can still use them

VentZX00

''Lord Of Graphics''
    Years
  • Fly (DPPT)
    Spoiler:

BG:
    Tilemap_DPPT.PNG

Last edited:

VentZX00

''Lord Of Graphics''
    Years
  • False Surrender:
    Spoiler:

Irreverencia.gif

Here is a particle made by me:
    False_Surrender.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    For now I only know how to merge animations, and I am one of those who replace graphics (in this case, attack particles and BG)
    I am slowly learning how to make animations

Yeah, create a complete new animations is not easy at all...
    By the way, you are able to re-create the particles shown in the video i linked? I see you are good at graphics

VentZX00

''Lord Of Graphics''
    Years
  • Yeah, create a complete new animations is not easy at all...
    By the way, you are able to re-create the particles shown in the video i linked? I see you are good at graphics
    Not really, since those animations really ... in my opinion, they must be fake.
    That video must be edited, or the one who made those modifications must be a professional haha

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    Not really, since those animations really ... in my opinion, they must be fake.
    That video must be edited, or the one who made those modifications must be a professional haha

The second one. He was one of best ASM rom hacker, but then disappeared.
    Anyway i talk about particles, since both of you did the same Scary Face particle sprite, i think you can replicate the others, like his Fire particles? You already did a great job with Fly BG 🤔

VentZX00

''Lord Of Graphics''
    Years
  • Snap Trap (Leer + Bite)
    Spoiler:

cepo-gif.6240

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Sorry for the late response! I kinda hit a dead end with the animation stuff and took a break. My pointers and offsets are all fine. I triple double checked that. I initially believed that my issue could stem from the fact that I'm editing an already hacked ROM, but I did some testing with this animation and here's what I found:

First, I checked Dark Pulse's animation in MrDollSteak's 1.5a rombase, and it works fine. It looks like the Uproar with little Will-O-Wisp flames coming out and has the Faint Attack background. I checked the location of the animation code in the rombase. The only difference between his and mine (besides the pointers) is that he put the smaller parts of the code before the main chunk (in order) whereas I put mine after. He also stuck in a few bytes of free space between each part as a buffer, but I think that's more so he could tell what part was where when you look at the hex, not because it was necessary. I don't do that because I like to consolidate space. I write down the offset values elsewhere to keep track.

Then I tested the animation in a clean Fire Red ROM where I added Dark Pulse (in the same location so I didn't have to change my offsets & pointers), and it crashed too! That means that my already hacked ROM isn't the issue, or at least it's not likely to be. Just to be sure, I even positioned the code how MrDollSteak did (fixing the pointers this time), and it also crashed.

Because this animation consistently freezes after the background is set, the next segment(s) of the attack must be the issue. I think it's trying to call for a sprite, particle, or effect that comes from some table in the ROM that has either been moved or that isn't present at all. I know that some of the move animators imported or made custom sprites/particles for making new moves like this, but I don't know how to look for them or add them in if that's what I'm missing.

Basically, I have 3 options going forward:
    1. I miraculously find a way to fix this animation or find someone who can help me fix it. This is ideal, but probably not gonna happen any time soon.
    2. I start over from scratch using MrDollSteak's rombase. This is definitely not the route I want to take because his rombase includes a lot of things I don't want. For just wanting to add in a few moves from Gen 4, all the extra baggage is a hefty price to pay for working animations.
    3. I make a new animation myself. I wouldn't be opposed to this because I have an idea of what can work. Going off of MrDollSteak, Water Pulse with the Faint Attack background and the Will-O-Wisp fire sprites sounds good. It's basic, but hey if I can get it to work, I don't care. Gen 3 animations aren't super glamorous anyways. The issue with this option is that I have zero experience with making animations, and the resource threads on here for doing that aren't easy for me to understand. I would need a helping hand with that.

So yeah that's where I'm at

IF ANYONE ELSE BROWSING THIS THREAD CAN HELP, PLEASE PM ME

I don't really understand how to "replace backwards", can you give me an example? I have been trying for 2 days but the animation is always not working. @@

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    I don't really understand how to "replace backwards", can you give me an example? I have been trying for 2 days but the animation is always not working. @@

I think you meant to respond to the post I quoted, but I can still help you with that.
    First of all, the animation might just be busted and doesn't work anyway.
    Secondly, I think that guy was talking about the difference between offsets and pointers, so here's a little crash course.

An offset is the location for a byte in memory. They are denoted 0xXXYYZZ or XX YY ZZ, where XX, YY, and ZZ are "digits" represented as bytes. In a hex editor (I use hex workshop, highly recommend it), every byte has an offset, and you can find it by highlighting or clicking on which byte you want. Think of how you use the index of a textbook. If you need to find information (the byte), the index gives you the page number (offset) where you can find it.

A pointer is a configuration of bytes that points to an offset.
    To create a pointer for an offset:
    1) take the offset --> XX YY ZZ
    2) switch the first and last byte --> ZZ YY XX (I think that's where the "replace backwards" comes from)
    3) add the byte "08" to the end of it --> ZZ YY XX 08
    ...and that's your pointer!
    Offsets will be different for everyone because you can insert hex code pretty much anywhere. Because of this, move animators already include the ending byte "08" and leave the rest of the pointer (the ZZ YY XX part) to be filled out.

Let's use move animations as an example.
    Move animation hex is sometimes broken up into a main part and a secondary part (or parts) that the main part points to. If that's the case, you'll see ZZ YY XX in the main part. That means you need to insert a pointer. But where do you make it point to? To the offset where the secondary part of the code begins.

Let's say I'm adding a move animation into my ROM, and I need the pointer for offset 0x123456 where the secondary part of the code starts.
    1) break the offset down into bytes: 12 34 56
    2) flip the first and last bytes like so: 56 34 12

I've been exactly where you are: struggling to learn about ROM hacking because these basic things either aren't explained or they're detailed in a few posts hidden among a million others. The learning curve is steep, but I hope this helps. Also check out the post below yours. ortz3 made a Move Animation Creator which might make your move animations a thing of the past. Good luck!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2022
    I made a Google Sheet that lists all the attack effects in FireRed by their value as the row, with the second column being example attacks for the effects not named within PGE's Attack Editor. I also tried to list which effects don't skip the 'applying damage' part of the move, but I've probably missed a lot of those. All of the boxes left blank in the first column are not used by any move nor are named within PGE's Attack Editor.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EtF4CVOuGHVBRvy10d0VzKLEczaELjpI-x3lnQXLE5k/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
    Back