• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misty Returning (part 2)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Please behave, guys. The last time I posted this, there was a lot of heat.

So, now that Misty is actually returning, for at least an episode, how does everyone feel about it?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Not bothered by it one bit. It's too soon for Serena to come back(and she's presently my #1 Pokegirl) but it's been well over a decade since Misty left and honestly she left the series on such poor circumstances. This feels like a marketing ploy though with Mega Evolution but if they even bring back any hints of Pokeshipping, there will be blood and gore on these Forums lol.

Years
  • CodeHelmet is right. It had been over a decade since we last saw Misty, while it had been seven years since Brock last appeared so it was well-timed. Personally I feel the writers did this because 2017 marks the 20th anniversary of the anime, so a bit of nostalgic fanservice.

Also, remember when Misty's Japanese VA said on a blog that Misty would appear in the DP series but it never happened? Guess that statement became true after all... over 10 years later.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    We know it's for at least two episodes, and based on how they teased it and the unusual circumstances behind it, I wouldn't even be surprised if it's a permanent return, especially in Misty's case.

So far as how I feel, on the one hand, I feel satisfied that the writers may actually be fixing something that should have been fixed a long time ago in regards to Misty's departure by bringing her back, or at the very least the likelihood that she's now going to pursue her Water Pokémon Master goal again, also a sense of relief. But on the other hand, I also anticipate the writers may pull a fast one on us, so I'm a bit reluctant to call victory until it's as certain as day that it is a victory on our end, even though I want it to be one.

Not bothered by it one bit. It's too soon for Serena to come back(and she's presently my #1 Pokegirl) but it's been well over a decade since Misty left and honestly she left the series on such poor circumstances. This feels like a marketing ploy though with Mega Evolution but if they even bring back any hints of Pokeshipping, there will be blood and gore on these Forums lol.

Maybe it is a marketing ploy, but I'd take anything at this point for Misty to not only come back (prefer a permanent return, but even a temporary one will do), but also for her to continue pursuing her Water Pokémon Master goal, and let's hope the writers will make sure that when she leaves (IF she leaves even, since it's also likely she'll join the cast again permanently), they don't coop her back in the gym again. And you don't need to worry about me getting into Pokeshipping, that was never my objective when trying to bring her back, nor for that matter did I even believe in it in the first place (I will acknowledge though that, even though I'm no believer, I'd ultimately take it over Amourshipping).

CodeHelmet is right. It had been over a decade since we last saw Misty, while it had been seven years since Brock last appeared so it was well-timed. Personally I feel the writers did this because 2017 marks the 20th anniversary of the anime, so a bit of nostalgic fanservice.

Maybe it is fanservice, but like I said, at this point, I'll take what I can get, especially given just how much of a big deal this is, and that hopefully the writers have learned from their mistakes this time around regarding Misty and have her, at the very least, actually pursue her Water Pokémon Master goal.

Also, remember when Misty's Japanese VA said on a blog that Misty would appear in the DP series but it never happened? Guess that statement became true after all... over 10 years later.

Yeah, I remember that. I also remember stating to naysayers that if the guy at Bulbanews was spewing falsehoods, they would have done to him what they did to Dan Rather regarding the so-called "Killian Documents" (ie, fire him for giving inaccurate reports).

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I'm glad SM has continuity with past sagas.

I really like Misty's design, more than the original design she had. Not as keen on Brock's but it's still watchable. I think it's because a lot of my anime art style preference has turned into softer lines with greater emphasis and range of emotions/movement.

Interesting to note it's extra curricular, so chances are the SM classmates might tag along. Misty and Lana seem like they would get along like a house on fire. They could also pave the way for eventual gyms/league in the SM saga, if this is what Kukui meant by him travelling to Alola.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I'm glad SM has continuity with past sagas.

I really like Misty's design, more than the original design she had. Not as keen on Brock's but it's still watchable. I think it's because a lot of my anime art style preference has turned into softer lines with greater emphasis and range of emotions/movement.

Interesting to note it's extra curricular, so chances are the SM classmates might tag along. Misty and Lana seem like they would get along like a house on fire. They could also pave the way for eventual gyms/league in the SM saga, if this is what Kukui meant by him travelling to Alola.

Yeah, especially considering how the show barely had continuity with past sagas as it is, it's refreshing to see them actually go that route of continuity.

So far as Misty's design, eh, I still prefer her old design, but at least she's wearing her classic outfit. And she at least looks fairly good in the new design especially compared to Ash.

Yeah, they might get along. And if it does have actual gyms and a league as a result, then I'd say the SM saga also gets redeemed, largely because it was truly idiotic to force Ash into a school situation and cost him the Kalos league as a result. Let's hope the Gyms bit doesn't have Ash's Pokemon easily taking out the Gym Leaders' teams like what happened with Hoenn.

I knew something was definitely up when they teased Misty around this time last year with that toy.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm just glad that her return, alongside with Brock's return and Mega Evolutions' return, further debunks that alternate Ash theory I've been seeing people forcibly making it true because they still refuse to believe that the SM anime is a canon follow-up to its predecessors because of the change in tone and art style.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I'm just glad that her return, alongside with Brock's return and Mega Evolutions' return, further debunks that alternate Ash theory I've been seeing people forcibly making it true because they still refuse to believe that the SM anime is a canon follow-up to its predecessors because of the change in tone and art style.

Well, I didn't doubt SM was alternate universe simply because of the change in tone, but rather due to the handling of M20, which was an unmitigated disaster. In fact, I'm also glad regarding that bit as well.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • I'm sort of excited actually… we haven't seen her in like what twelve long years? It's going to be great to have her back, and yeah the Lana Misty dynamic would certainly be interesting. Also glad she has a Mega Gyarados, things like that make me wish Greninja is still in his party… Ash-Geninja vs Misty's Mega Gyarados hope it happens one day XD.

She also looks her age, Misty had always seemed to be a couple of years older than Ash. But now they look about the same age, she's still taller than him tho XD

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I'm excited about her (and Brock's) return personally. Now if the dub could get Rachel Lillis back in to do her voice, that would just be awesome.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I may be wrong but I foresee one or more of the following happening:

1) Snowy gives Misty a dose of Powder Snow(think back to Suzy's Vulpix in Episode 28)
    2) Misty has heart shaped eyes when she notices Lana's Popplio
    3) Misty has a Bug Phobia moment that makes Lillie's fear of Pokemon look like nothing
    4) Mallow has a crush on Brock due to his gnack for cooking
    5) Lycanroc battles Brock's Steelix
    6) Litten is left at Pallet Town for Delia
    7) Ash's Charizard battle's Kiawe's Charizard
    8) Lana battles Misty's Mega Gyrados
    9) Team Rocket has no appearance whatsoever
    10) Misty's lure makes a cameo appearance

*Edit* I should add that some of these are a wishlist(like #5 #7 and #8).

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Potential screenshot of episode

Spoiler:

Not much for time being but we'll likely get a bit more information in following weeks

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Potential screenshot of episode

Spoiler:

Not much for time being but we'll likely get a bit more information in following weeks

If this is an actual screencap for the episode, and it's not simply a leak, then I'm even more certain that Misty and Brock's return, ESPECIALLY Misty's return, is definitely going to be very big than I was with that scan yesterday. May even potentially rival the return Charizard's full-fledged return in Best Wishes (one of the few grand moments in an otherwise completely awful series). After all, we never got outright teaser screencaps for any returns from any major characters, not even with Charizard in Best Wishes.

EDIT: Apparently, there are TWO teaser screencaps from these episodes available. You can find the other on Serebii.net, under today's news, specifically under "Episode Titles." Shows Ash, Misty, and Brock together.

EDIT 2: Mayumi Iizuka issued a tweet regarding it (and apparently, that's where the image you provided came from):

https://twitter.com/MayuTama0103/status/902464465924308992

Also, they issued concept art as well:

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pokemon_sunmoon/news/

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Potential screenshot of episode

Spoiler:

Not sure if that's either an undershirt or a bikini top (it was never visible during her time with Ash and Brock or at the Chronicles episodes).

Also worth noting is that both of their appearances in the anime may also hint their appearance in US/UM (meaning we might get to actually see an adult Misty like with Red and Blue).

Back