• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

i ALSO miss reputation

Lucid

likes are more positive, people's feelings don't get hurt, basically.

Yea but there's a difference between bein cruel/disrespectful/mean and just failing to vote for someone or give someone props.

The like system is abused all the time.

Lucid

I think Angie brought up some v practical points,l. Rly it all comes down to the tone y'all wan set tho. I encourage you all to think about the maturity level and tbh honest I don't see how a negative rep/dislike would be any dif then anything else. You know who's who from browsing

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I used to get interesting post/rep comments from angry ROM hackers. It'd be fun

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • fun fact: everyone still has a hidden reputation value which is determined on god knows what sort of variables (i think it involves likes, post comments when they were still around, etc., but goes up or down for really bizarre reasons), and which is still seen by the forum software. i think mine was in the negative 1000s last i checked.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    The main thing is that every neg rep was seen as cruel/disrespectful/mean by virtue of it being negative.

The like system can be abused, it's just difficult and impractical to. Not to mention no one really cares that much about likes to begin with; they don't reflect social status like reputation does which is the main difference.
    I think positive rep was abused more than neg rep tbh. I mean you would see like 10 or so people that had a ridiculous amount of rep given most of what they posted was garbage, and they all happened to VM each other frequently? If you mentioned it to one of them this was the usual response:

0mw1I8e.gif

Followed by an onslaught of neg rep on all of your posts.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I think positive rep was abused more than neg rep tbh. I mean you would see like 10 or so people that had a ridiculous amount of rep given most of what they posted was garbage, and they all happened to VM each other frequently? If you mentioned it to one of them this was the usual response:

0mw1I8e.gif

Followed by an onslaught of neg rep on all of your posts.

I'd neg rep you for this post

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    im down to re-implement reputation

Years
  • I wasn't here for that, but they had it on trial period on some other forums I used to be in. People often abused it to either bring people down to help out their friends. Needless to say they took away the negative reputation, but kept the positive rep.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Why? Now I'm curious. 8)
    I liked the fact that you could respond to individual posts without having to resort to PM or VM, but not necessarily derail the conversation at hand in the thread. I also liked that it was a personal effort to actually provide one, that writing a message said more than just clicking a 'like' button (even though the 'likes' have their own benefits).

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • what reputation
    Pretty much what half the members thought at the time.

The like system is abused all the time.
    Abused in what sense, though? With reputation there was an actual visual way to see what a member's reputation was and, even though it didn't really matter, it did affect something that not only other members could see (and make of what they would), but the comments would go straight to you (for better or for worse).

Likes are pretty arbitrary and how many you have can only be seen by you. What they're worth and their overall usage is purely contextual and even if someone fishes for them...I mean, that's that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    the community is different now so maybe members could handle it.... either way you can always disable it/hide it. i don't remember exactly

Guest123_x1

I am so glad the reputation system is gone, considering how easy it was for certain people to give negative rep over and over, complete with the sometimes nasty comments that would come at times. Not to mention how biased the system was, given how you would have to spread it to many other users, while certain ones would build up quite a large reputation score.

I think the post-liking system we have now is perfectly fine.

Back