• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
  • When was the last time you gave a review?
    Kyuu-chan's original version of her one shot, which I think I was more snarky than MW's review. D:

And since we're making promises...everyone, I promise to read and review your guys' fics if you promise me to read either Twisted Rain or Last Rocket when one of those two comes out January next year (not sure which one I want to work at during my winter break XD ). :P

I'll so take you up on that offer, Bay. :P
    Mine is long though so I'll read both if you put them up. lol.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    When was the last time you gave a review?

Haven't done much story reviews, I tend to not have the time. Last one I did was on a short story which had been written up to the second chapter including a prologue, that alone took me about 3 and a half hourss then another half hour to reply to their quiries. I rarely have the time for such long winded reviews even though I do enjoy doing them a lot! So I tend to stick to poetry reviews.
    My last review was today, a few hours ago in fact. I enjoy reading work and never reply unless I can say something constuctive XD
    I've done a couple reviews in tha past few days, some advice and such other posts. I'm really getting back into my swing of reviewing and critting. I tend to be very blunt when I do a review. I say what needs to be done and what was good. It's tough on the writer but that's the writing world. I never tell someone how to write though. I've read so many forum reviews and they basically tell the person to stop writing in the way in which they do. It's so harsh and not to mention wrong. I always like to review in a way I can help the writer expand on their own style rather than take a new approach. It's hard to do for me but it's the most benificial in my opinion.
    But I degress, I'm rambling. I've gotten into the swing of reviewing again so it's been one or two a day for the past few days.

If I could just expand on this topic.
    Do you have any habits in reviewing? Eg. Always commenting on spelling mistakes and avoiding langauge etc.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Do you have any habits in reviewing? Eg. Always commenting on spelling mistakes and avoiding langauge etc.

I tend to comment on the mood the story conveys, like to see if a scary fic is scary etc.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Do you have any habits in reviewing? Eg. Always commenting on spelling mistakes and avoiding language etc.
    Usually, I like to comment on the way the author portrys his characters and if there's any gore involved, how gory it is. I tend to avoid commas and dialogue tags but sometimes I just can't help it.

On the subject of promises. I promise to read and review The Last Rocket, Finish HWIMAR, finish AEM, and read Feign's Fic if I'm able to finish three chapters of my new fic and two oneshots by next year. It's a lot but I needed to get motivated. XD

Wishing everyone luck on their promises. Bay, Looking forward to The Last Rocket. Also, Whisper where is Shattered?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • When was the last time you gave a review?
    Kyuu-chan's original version of her one shot, which I think I was more snarky than MW's review. D:
    OH NO IT WAS NOT. :/ Mine was so snarky I got into a flame war about it (with someone who didn't even write the story) which ended with each of us on the other's Ignore list. I almost lost a friend, too (Kyuu-chan). T_T And I deleted the review, which took me a whole afternoon to write. Longest review I ever gave, and all for naught.

Hey, Gavin. Don't see you round here often. Anyway, I usually do one of two things. I give a long-winded stream-of-consciousness review, quoting anything and everything that catches my eye, good or bad, and saying why. Usually spelling is my main focus, as I have a natural abhorrence of bad spelling.

Wishing everyone luck on their promises. Bay, Looking forward to The Last Rocket. Also, Whisper where is Shattered?
    Shattered is on hiatus while NaNoWriMo is eats my time, my sanity and my soul. :/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Mine was so snarky I got into a flame war about it (with someone who didn't even write the story) which ended with each of us on the other's Ignore list.
    If you had reported the flamewar with the person you got in it with, I could have handed out an infraction because of how downright insulting said person was. Now it's just too late for anything for me to do.

Reports are really kind of necessary when the moderator isn't feeling well/too busy to check all the posts in the section.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I looked up the thread in question, and you didn't start off being an ass. You offered advice to the author, albeit with a bit of attitude. It didn't warrant your stories being called boring when your stories weren't in question in the review.

And over VMs doesn't matter. If it's still a flame, it still needs to be reported.

Meh, I'll just keep a close eye on everyone for a bit. I actually have the time again.

When was the last time you gave a review?
    A few minutes ago? Really just to back Feign up.

Really, I just talk about what I know, and don't mention what I don't know.

Yeah, this is why I don't answer bold topics. I have nothing to say in response to them.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Lol Asti, then in that case, you'll just have to spruce up your responses with colour and flashing things. XD

I try to avoid arguments myself... Debates are fun in a controlled environment though...

Hopefully Mizan, I can get my next chapter up on Saturday, and perhaps be as ambitious to at least start the next one...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • But it's our job to try and solve your problems for you! =P But yeah, reports are what make PC go round. And round and round and round...

Last time I gave a review was a few weeks back. Generally I touch on what I thought was good and bad, and why I thought those things, and maybe how to improve stuff as well if anything needs improving. I also tend to point out spelling/grammatical errors if I see any. Hmm, might start again now I have time. Time, I say! (At least until I disappear to Tasmania for a family holiday).

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I should steal your time! XD

I was in Tasmania for Christmas, they had a Christmas lunch in Hobart. XD

EkaSwede

Bouncy Bitter Bagel
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2015
    Well, yes. I often comment on mixed words such as "then/than", "your/you're" etc etc.

Often because mistakes like those aren't caught by spellcheckers, and some of them can be eyesores. Also, sometimes one manages to slip on their keyboard and type in another word, yet isn't noticable. For example, what say someone writes that "I'll kick your ass!", but slip on one key, making the sentence become: "I'll lick your ass!"

Thats just one of the examples.... curse the S/D keys, the I/O/U keys, and K/L keys. They're often the most responsible! XD

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
    Years
  • Do you have any habits in reviewing? Eg. Always commenting on spelling mistakes and avoiding langauge etc.
    Well, yes. I often comment on mixed words such as "then/than", "your/you're" etc etc.

Often because mistakes like those aren't caught by spellcheckers, and some of them can be eyesores. Also, sometimes one manages to slip on their keyboard and type in another word, yet isn't noticable. For example, what say someone writes that "I'll kick your ass!", but slip on one key, making the sentence become: "I'll lick your ass!"

Thats just one of the examples.... curse the S/D keys, the I/O/U keys, and K/L keys. They're often the most responsible! XD

How true. I think whoever designed the QWERTY keyboard was out to get us! Lol.

Why yes I don't. Lol. I don't review because I don't wish to make enemies. =D

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • The QWERTY keyboard was designed for maximum efficiency for typewriter-users. You see, if you hit two adjacent keys on a typewriter too closely together (ie time. You know how fast some people type.) there was a chance the thingies would jam. So to counter this, the designer of the QWERTY keyboard placed letters next to other letters that were nearly never used directly before or after them. In some respects, they did an OK job. How many wourds do you see with 'qw' in them? Or 'kl'? But then we have things like 'er' and 'op', but I guess those are unavoidable. :/

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • The QWERTY keyboard was designed for maximum efficiency for typewriter-users. You see, if you hit two adjacent keys on a typewriter too closely together (ie time. You know how fast some people type.) there was a chance the thingies would jam. So to counter this, the designer of the QWERTY keyboard placed letters next to other letters that were nearly never used directly before or after them. In some respects, they did an OK job. How many wourds do you see with 'qw' in them? Or 'kl'? But then we have things like 'er' and 'op', but I guess those are unavoidable. :/
    So then, in response to this...

Who here uses/wants to use a Dvorak keyboard for typing?
    I for one am glad with my QWERTY keyboard. The Dvorak keyboard discriminates against people who are left-handed and they're hard to find.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Reviews can make you friends if you do them properly and with less snark(no offense to anyone offended,).

True true. They can either make friends. If you do it wrong, they can make you enemies.

EDIT: A honest reviewer is a good reviewer and can make you friends. A jerk review (ex. your story is the worst in existence, go die in a fire) can make an enemy. XD

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Well reviewing Citty's Prologue is what got me to become friends with him. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back