• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: quick thing about viewing who’s online

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    feeling like a regular user like me should not be able to look at the online list and see whatever search terms Pikababygrl2007 (or whatever) is looking at with the search function, feels oddly public/a relic that never quite got changed

especially if mods and higher (i believe) just get the default Searching Forums blank statement instead of any identifying info

just feels weird to see like
    WalreinGF (Searching: sigma gold)

cheers

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Yeah I always thought it was strange seeing "Fairy is viewing conversation with Dreadqueen" (or whatever it actually says). Kinda intrusive and unnecessary. I mean it doesn't do any real harm, but I agree with your sentiment.

Edit: or rather, anything other than "user is viewing x thread".

Years
    • Seen today
    Yeah I always thought it was strange seeing "Fairy is viewing conversation with Dreadqueen" (or whatever it actually says). Kinda intrusive and unnecessary. I mean it doesn't do any real harm, but I agree with your sentiment.

Edit: or rather, anything other than "user is viewing x thread".

Not to intrude, but I think it's important to mention this isn't just for the online viewing list. If you click someone's profile, you get the same detailed information about what the person is doing. The difference is, I think there's an option on settings to limit this?

Years
  • i have no problem with the online activity showing if people are viewing things like topics, the index, sections, or their private messages

but when it comes to things like search queries, viewing profiles, and even viewing conversations i definitely agree that those are best kept private

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Not to intrude, but I think it's important to mention this isn't just for the online viewing list. If you click someone's profile, you get the same detailed information about what the person is doing. The difference is, I think there's an option on settings to limit this?

Precisely my point.. but I don't think there's a way to toggle it off. The best we have is opting to being invisible. And I think that just hides your name from the member list at the bottom. I have no idea how that feature works since I've never used it.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    not all that fussed about viewing conversations etc
    but i suppose there is a conversation to be had about all the facets of the who's online system, as it is rather quaint in an era where AmbipomMom01 can usually signal the exact level of 'being online' that she wants, and no more
    expectations of privacy and whatever i guess

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    just wondering if any admins/dev people noticed this

Back