• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Symbols and you

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
  • the griever, the bat. Symbols that instantly make us think of a char. Do you try to incorporate any?

Years
  • Honestly, the only time I've incorporated a symbol into a character was in Titans, a superhero RP. It's not something I've ever considered, outside of my idealistic superhero character.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • Outside of a superhero/"chosen one" or team/organization theme, I do not create my characters with that intention. If I make a character who is a schoolgirl with a kitten backpack, I do not intend the backpack to somehow "represent" her, but naturally if the object is unique to her, the natural human tendency to label, sort, and categorize may have others refer to her by that unique thing, and therefore somehow represent my character.

I'm indifferent to the concept altogether.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think I sometimes do, actually. In pokémon RPs, I'm kind of tired of seeing Ash-clones and young trainers without much to make them stand out from the vast crowd here. So by giving them some special symbol or item or concept (or interest represented by a symbol) I kind of try to make them stand out a bit more in my own mind, at least. Examples have been pendants with special stones or items or symbols in/on, or really just a unique SU setup or a theme for their poke´mon.

And of course, in some RPs the very idea is to make your characters represent/be represented by a symbol of some sort. In superhero RPs or other supernatural things like that, it's sort of useful and interesting. The human mind likes to categorize and label things, see.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Yes. Even if I don't intend to, I at least have a visual aesthetic in mind for every character and those lend itself to forming a symbol that people easily associate with my characters. And the way I work around it can be as subtle yet simple as a name that hides symbolic hints.

Years
  • I don't think so really. I've certainly never intentionally given my characters some sort of symbol or anything to represent them. I have no idea how others perceive all that though.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Not really, no. The only character who had something symbolize him was my Astra character and that was because that's kind of a big part of the universe I guess. Aspects and symbolism and all that nonsense. I could probably pretty easily get into a character that was heavily based off of some sort of symbol but. yeah.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Now that I think about it, I think I've used a fair amount of symbolism or 'theme' when making characters. Off the top my head, Nerites from Titans and Sol from Riders are two of them who do, with Sol having the sun (which is supposed to be the symbol of her entire family line) and Nerites the ocean. I think themes and symbols are a nice way to distinguish characters from one another and give them a sort of unique feel, especially if the character has a superpower of some sort.

Back