• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Oh, no, that's a perfectly fair conclusion to draw. Any MH game is essentially nothing but a grind for better and better gear. The combat system and co-op play are what hold it together, and if those fail to appeal, there's not really anything else the series has to show for itself.
    Well, sure, it's a grind, but the combat system does more than just hold it together, imo. I don't think there's much quite like it, where you base your fighting so much on learning how the monsters move and fight and react and so forth. Add to that the number of monsters available and all the weapons (which invites a lot of varied playstyles) and you have a comprehensive game imo.
    I was lucky enough to receive a demo code from a friend, and I can safely say that this game is a big improvement over the last installment on the 3ds, which was 3 Ultimate. The game feels a lot more natural during hunts, and the mapsvon the demo are more similar to those in Freedom Unite. My favorite change to the game is the navigation of ledges; you no longer have to press A and watch the weird climbing/falling animations (unless you want to navigate a climable wall), instead your character will automatically climb or slide down from them. I have put hundreds of hours into the PSP games utilizing the "claw" technique, so the controls in 4 Ultimate are not a problem at all, even without the Circle Pad add-on.
    Yeah, the implementation of uneven ground for the land fights (given there's no underwater fights which is... probably a good thing?) really makes it feel better.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The game is out! For nearly a day now!

I'm really enjoying it, haha. Taking a break after playing it a fair bit. Even with my Australian internet I have found the online I have played really stable and enjoyable! The new version of free hunt (expeditions) is much better imo (randomised areas! Rusted items!), and the small improvements are good too (from vouchers going straight to the box, to a box actually being right by the quest exit for solo hunts).

I've been using the longsword and moreso the charge blade (I upgraded the latter twice fairly early). May also start using the insect glaive some for hunts, I enjoy those two new weapons while longsword is just something I liked using in MH3U, haha. I like the indication that there's a better story here as well, and the dialogue is pretty great. Got up to HR3 in solo recently (HR1 was really short...) but not much beyond that.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I love the Dialogue too. The Felyons only speak in cat puns, and everybody has some weird name or personality.

Oddly Enough, I've played for like 3 hours and haven't downed any big monsters. Need Malacite ore to make some decent armor. (and the first charge blade upgrade ARG!)

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Am I the only one who finds that the graphics are a bit disappointing, especially character models which look worse compared to 3U.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I never paid much attention to the character models, but the option of have an afro was good enough for me. Otherwise, I don't really have any complaints about the graphics, and the 3D on the n3DS with it looks good too.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • Pre-ordered MH4U a few days before release and I still ended up getting it on release day. No express shipping. Love Amazon :-)

Anyways, about the game. . . I've already sunk ~16 hours into it. It's phenomenal. The added movement and jump mechanics make the game so much more deeper and strategic. The (new) monsters and weapons are all varied. Love the new Expeditions & Guild Quests features. I can see myself throwing another 300+ hours into it, haha.

My only complaint is that turning the 3D on all the way makes the game hard to play. Especially coupled with the weird camera controls which make you move your hand, thus moving the system itself, makes me have to readjust my eyes over and over again. But I assume the N3DS fixes that. :-)

Everyone should exchange their MH friend codes on here!!!

Years
  • I've had the game since December (a review copy from Nintendo) but I've only really started playing it recently. Took me a while to get into, for some reason... but now I'm loving it. I played MH3U on the 3DS, and this is a huge improvement. The new jumping mechanics add so much to the game. And the fact that I can now play with people online on the 3DS version is awesome. I'm sure I'll be playing this for the foreseeable future... sorry Majora's Mask 3D!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Oh, it's out? I thought the release was to be in March, so I didn't have a mind to pay attention.
    I'll update with my friend code when I can.

Need Malacite ore to make some decent armor. (and the first charge blade upgrade ARG!)
    That stuff is annoying. One always needs a lot of it early on if one wants to upgrade every weapon class to a reasonable level, but it's so rare until the Volcano area is unlocked.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I didn't even know it was out until now and omg. Like above, I thought the release date was in March! I really wanna get it, but why the heck is it $55 on Amazon?

Anyway, if I get it anytime soon I'll post my FC (and if this thread is still alive). I've never played a MH game before but I feel like I've been missing out. Looks like an amazing game and my type of style

Years
  • I didn't even know it was out until now and omg. Like above, I thought the release date was in March! I really wanna get it, but why the heck is it $55 on Amazon?

Anyway, if I get it anytime soon I'll post my FC (and if this thread is still alive). I've never played a MH game before but I feel like I've been missing out. Looks like an amazing game and my type of style
    I think it's because it's been running low on stock since shortly after it was released? I got it the day after and since it was slightly inflated in price online and/or not even available for purchase online I kinda had to search around my city for a bit to find a store that had it.

You're not the only newbie to the series! This is my first MH title, too. I'd heard good things about the franchise for a few years and decided to buy it after trying the demo. I hope I can hunt with other players here sometime cuz none of my closer friends in real life have the game (or are even interested in it, probably.)

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I think it's because it's been running low on stock since shortly after it was released? I got it the day after and since it was slightly inflated in price online and/or not even available for purchase online I kinda had to search around my city for a bit to find a store that had it.

You're not the only newbie to the series! This is my first MH title, too. I'd heard good things about the franchise for a few years and decided to buy it after trying the demo. I hope I can hunt with other players here sometime cuz none of my closer friends in real life have the game (or are even interested in it, probably.)

People must really like the series then... I don't think I've ever seen a game go out of stock so quickly unless the seller was just unprepared. Thanks for telling me that, def not buying from Amazon then. (Has anyone bought anything from FRYS.com btw? their website is making me nervous.)

When I get it (might be a while though) I'll make sure to PM you my FC! Then we can enter the new world together ha.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • There was some sort of shortages of many products in America due to a strike at docks? I don't know too many details about that though, just something I had heard.

I have played a good deal of this game, haha. Got to HR 7 over the weekend in single, the start of high rank. Got a velociprey armour set (with psychic's maximum skill, Attack Up (L!) and halve stun), and also getting tetsucabra armour to balance out having something very weak to ice. In multi bar testing it to grab low rank armour of a monster, I have only played with a friend on a couple train trips to/from uni. We got up to HR 3 this morning. =)

I've used the insect glaive the most, because it was the best weapon I had out of the three I wanted to use (it, longsword and charge blade). I do now have a decently upgraded fire longsword that can give my poison insect glaive a run for its money so I'll use that when advantageous. But the insect glaive is so fun! I got the art of getting the power ups I feel, and being able to pole vault is great too.

Last edited:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Got to the Gore Magala Solo fight. Died so much. This guy is insane. I got the Plate off a shiny drop 2 deaths into the fight Knowing... that I wouldn't get to keep it.

Breaking his feelers is BUTT. You have to wail on him in Rage mode. He hits too hard in normal mode, so when he hulks out I'm supposed to get closer? Break his feelers with trap/bomb? Traps don't last long on enraged targets.

Got to try again today.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Am I the only one who finds that the graphics are a bit disappointing, especially character models which look worse compared to 3U.
    Graphics, generally? Yeah. I think the backgrounds on the horizon and skyboxes are worse. They looked best back in... MH1, honestly. And returning monsters like Yian Kut-Ku seem still to use their original textures from the same time.
    Character models, though? I wouldn't say so. A lot is the same as MH3U, with some added hairstyle options and the like for the player character, so I think MH4U does them slightly better. If you refer to NPCs specifically, I'd still have to disagree — almost everyone in Moga wears such simple clothes they look like player characters without armour on.

Got to the Gore Magala Solo fight. Died so much. This guy is insane. I got the Plate off a shiny drop 2 deaths into the fight Knowing... that I wouldn't get to keep it.
    Unless MH4 has changed this, if you fail a quest you keep your current item status. You only keep the items you set out with (and lose any gained on-quest) if you abandon.

Breaking his feelers is BUTT. You have to wail on him in Rage mode. He hits too hard in normal mode, so when he hulks out I'm supposed to get closer? Break his feelers with trap/bomb? Traps don't last long on enraged targets.
    You could try status, I don't think sleep and paralyze durations are affected by rage mode, and sleep especially would be ideal for bombing the feelers off.

Now then, the game arrived much earlier than I expected after ordering. Here's my FC for anyone interested: 1762-3155-4009
    But do bear in mind I just got the game, and as a veteran of the series who uses most weapons, my progress will necessarily be slow (because materials), so for some time there might not be a lot I can help anyone with.

Last edited:

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Got to the Gore Magala Solo fight. Died so much. This guy is insane. I got the Plate off a shiny drop 2 deaths into the fight Knowing... that I wouldn't get to keep it.

Got to try again today.
    Right below his body and behind him are the safest spots to be. It's not a good idea to hover anywhere in front of him.

As for breaking his feelers. This is a little bit trickier since he's extremely aggressive and anywhere in front of him often leads to getting smacked. So, try to mount him when he's in rage mode and then wail on his head when you successfully mount him. If you're feeling a tad brave, when he does his triple fireball, if you're near his neck area you can sort of hit his head without getting harmed.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I beat the Gore Magala. took 25 minutes to Capture him. My Najarala armor is supposed to net me extra rewards for captures.

I broke his feelers with a lucky jump attack from my GS right into his stupid face.

As for standing under/behind him.... LIES. He just never stops moving, or he turns around so quickly putting me back in danger.

How useless is Earplugs? I know they don't work on some monsters. I've seen my character not react to some of Gore's Roars, but most of the time the still interrupt me. (or does it only protect from SOME of a Monster's roars - like Gore might have 3 different roars that all sound the same but are "different")

:15: Sorry if I sound angry, whining - this fight really got to me.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • =

As for standing under/behind him.... LIES. He just never stops moving, or he turns around so quickly putting me back in danger.
    Well, I never said stand, haha. It's just a better idea to be moving around those particular areas if you don't want to get mauled.

How useless is Earplugs? I know they don't work on some monsters. I've seen my character not react to some of Gore's Roars, but most of the time the still interrupt me. (or does it only protect from SOME of a Monster's roars - like Gore might have 3 different roars that all sound the same but are "different")
    Roars don't affect you from a certain range, so that might be the reason why it didn't affect you? Or, you might have even rolled through the roar, a little bit hard to do without Evasion +2 or +3, but definitely doable. But, do remember that there are three versions of Earplugs. Earplugs, Rock Steady's version (which is Earplugs 1.5 basically), and HG Earplugs. I'm not too sure if Rock Steady's version blocks Gore Magala, so you'll probably need HG Earplugs to block out his roar.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yeah, pretty sure that you need the higher-level skills of Earplugs to block all of its roars. It is a bugger, as I had some trouble myself (but that was more during expeditions where if you faint in the wrong time despite the unlimited number of times you are allowed to faint it can just up and leave...)

Feelers are a bugger too - you have to hit the head when it is in rage mode, yet.. hitting its head can bring it out of rage mode. Whoops! Capturing does give a better change of getting feelers even if you didn't break them though, I got a couple from the multi quest for it when hunting with a friend. One more and I can finally make a dragon element weapon from it...

The HR5 Urgent quest in the story mode however (spoiling the name of it):
    Spoiler:

I absolutely nailed. I had a lot of items, over-prepared, etc, but the only stuff I used was a couple potions and some well-timed Flash Bombs. I didn't come close to dying in fact and beat it fairly quickly. ._.

Back