• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is a enhanced version of the japan-only Monster Hunter 4, being released in Japan under the name Monster Hunter 4 G late last year and coming out in the rest of the world will be getting it next month. It features a slight shift in focus towards the story, but is also the first 3DS Monster Hunter title to feature full online play.

As well as this, a demo will be sent to select Nintendo network users via email. The demo contains a tutorial for new players with all the new mechanics explained. It also supports the New 3DS's C stick and has online play.

Will you be downloading the demo? Will you be getting the game?

I can say yes, MOST HYPED GAME OF THIS YEAR.

pkmin3033

I won't be downloading the demo - Monster Hunter is utterly unplayable without a second stick to control the camera - but I will most definitely be getting this on release, possibly with the special edition New 3DS XL. I adored Tri on the Wii, and I've been starved for a Monster Hunter game since. Looking forward to mass hunting for armour sets and wielding my spear of death once again <3

Xenoblade is more hype, but I'm still pretty excited for this~

Yukari

I got Monster hunter 3 Ultimate on my 3DS, and I've really been loving it, so I really am looking forward to this game. I doubt that I'll be downloading the demo, but the game will probably be one of my purchases this year.

I'm really hoping that this game is more friendly to new players, though, since Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was so hard to get into.

Years
    I have to admit am having a trouble really loving Monster Hunter 3, I do like it and I got it free (as the free game from the register your 3DS and ORAS and get a free game promotion) but am finding it tricky to get a weapon that is accurate, does high damage and hits quickly. (I use Duel blades because all the other weapons seem to slow or not very accurate, but they lack large damage per hit).
    I think its because am more of a Turn based RPG fan where I can grind loads then make big fights easy rather than relying on my skills with buttons and combos lol.
    So not I properly wont be getting 4 ultimate.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    HYPEEEEEE.

My excitement levels cannot be contained. I can't wait to play the supposed "hardest" game in the series which a sizable amount of fans have dubbed. But, I'm more eager that GS got a buff that it can now charge an attack on basically any hit now! CHARGE GS COMBOS FOR LIFE <3.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Most certainly getting this, along with the themed MH n3DS XL. =) Australia is actually getting it a day later, but I'll deal. Saturday suits me better anyway, haha.

Would like a demo code, and it doesn't seem like it'll be coming to my email at this rate. =( Ah well, at worst I'll just wait for the real thing. Neat that the demo can handle online play too.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    I have the demo, but have yet to try it out. I don't have a Circle Pad Pro or anything like that, so I imagine it'll be difficult to play. I've never really gotten into the Monster Hunter series, but it seems like a game that I'd really enjoy. Maybe I'll give this one a whirl if I grab a New 3DS.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Turns out that just as I left work I got a demo code email! \O/ Tried it on experienced mode tonight and fought each of the monsters with the weapon I'm used to (long sword). Will try some others I haven't used much before.

This tutorial seems better for newbies to the series than the MH3U one by far - there's a beginner mode at the start you can choose each time you run the demo, and you can optionally set tutorial messages to go on as well, including how to use your chosen weapon at the start. I wasn't impressed with MH3U's demo and only really got the game when a friend insisted the game is better than what the demo presented... thank goodness for that.

Years
    If anyone needs demo codes, have at them :)

A0706X401C2EESWG
    A0718B0A33HUNY3X
    A07190VT0TABKCSW

Basically, first come first serve. Not sure how available the codes will be for this one.
    (I really am not a fan of this whole demo code thing)

I look forward to trying it out later this week.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    Thanks! Took the first code. Looking forward to the game.

I found the game to playable without the Extra Stick. The lock-on plus touch-controls were good enough to get by. The C-Stick would help though - a lot.

The only thing that 3U need was multi-player, looking forward to hunts with friends strangers online.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Grabbed the second one. Thanks, TDA!

Looking forward to this game. I've heard good things about past entries from a guy I know on IRC.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    The Demo is great. There is a beginner mode that makes you near-immortal - all the better to test the two new weapons. Charge Sword, and Insect Glaive.

Monsters - Great Jaggi, Terracabra (like chupacabra), and some Black dragon "Gore Mandala" (spelling?)

If you played 3U on 3DS looks much the same, except the locations look so much prettier.

I liked the Charge Sword, very simple to use. Insect Glaive is a really cool idea, but I'm not experienced enough to make the most of it. The giant bug on your arm is awesome idea though. (like a Pokemon!)

Renze1992

Water-Type Starter Lover
    Years
    Hmm, I quite like that idea to test the weapons out especially since I suck at using close range weapons. Maybe this time I can actually focus on using the new Charge Sword. Haha!

Ohh, you're referring to the Gore Magala? I've seen other hunters trying to beat it. Man, it looks really hard. I like it.

What about the multiplayer experience in the demo?

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2015
    Got some codes for the demo.

A06WTUKF1G7GNENB

A0705W1V122KR0EK

A0703T671Y5K6RUA

I liked 3, but without the online multiplayer I was wishing I'd waited until I got a Wii U. Pretty cool that even the demo has it.

Edit: So far I've only found people using dual blades. Nice to know I'm not the only one that prefers those.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I ended up with download codes after all. Still have a couple spare in fact (that's Australian codes, mind).

I managed to solo Gore Magala by myself. Also had a successful (online!) hunt against it in 3-player, but not so in 2-player (no cats to help you and only one other person does make it tougher). Only used the Longsword thus far, will be trying out the other weapons later.

...and since I wrote that I tried the insect glaive. It's fun, and spammable at close range with the insect part imo.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I will get the game but not the demo because I don't have and don't want an online store account. Hope to play with some of y'all.
    I hope all the weapon types are still in the game; I'm still mainly an S&S user since I stopped being a longsword noob (nothing against the LS or noobs, it's just easy to get into and difficult to master, so people using it probably aren't good), but I can't not have a gunlance since MH3U.

I'm really hoping that this game is more friendly to new players, though, since Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was so hard to get into.
    I started with Unite (well, Freedom 2, but I got Unite in the same year) and that was a lot harder with the bad hitboxes on monster attacks. Some attacks wouldn't be telegraphed at all — the monster would go straight into the attack animation and there'd be nothing the player could do except assume they're going to do that attack every time they're in a situation they can, and therefore miss out on dealing potential damage (which was another huge issue; monsters became very difficult to solo at G level simply due to the 50 minute time limit).

I have the demo, but have yet to try it out. I don't have a Circle Pad Pro or anything like that, so I imagine it'll be difficult to play. I've never really gotten into the Monster Hunter series, but it seems like a game that I'd really enjoy. Maybe I'll give this one a whirl if I grab a New 3DS.
    Most people control the game in the 'claw' manner if they don't have a CPP, or back in the days of MH on the PSP. Apparently it's okay once you're used to it, but it does still take getting used to. Myself, I never clawed, I used the L button a lot to centralise my view on the player character's facing, and would 'twitch' the character in a particular direction for a moment to move the camera if I wanted to look somewhere I wasn't moving. Underwater combat (dunno if this is in MH4U) is unbearable without a CPP though.

Last edited:

Aven

~:Official Beater:~
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I was actually chosen as a Beta Tester and I hadn't even heard of the game till then. I gave the extra code to my cousin and we've been trying it out.

Not to be offensive but it's not the best game out there in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I was actually chosen as a Beta Tester and I hadn't even heard of the game till then. I gave the extra code to my cousin and we've been trying it out.

Not to be offensive but it's not the best game out there in my opinion.
    Oh, no, that's a perfectly fair conclusion to draw. Any MH game is essentially nothing but a grind for better and better gear. The combat system and co-op play are what hold it together, and if those fail to appeal, there's not really anything else the series has to show for itself.

Years
    I was lucky enough to receive a demo code from a friend, and I can safely say that this game is a big improvement over the last installment on the 3ds, which was 3 Ultimate. The game feels a lot more natural during hunts, and the mapsvon the demo are more similar to those in Freedom Unite. My favorite change to the game is the navigation of ledges; you no longer have to press A and watch the weird climbing/falling animations (unless you want to navigate a climable wall), instead your character will automatically climb or slide down from them. I have put hundreds of hours into the PSP games utilizing the "claw" technique, so the controls in 4 Ultimate are not a problem at all, even without the Circle Pad add-on.

Back