• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Best gen 4 starter in ur opinion?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2021
    I love all three, but for fully evolved it has to be Infernape for me, as it is my favourite in the franchise. However, looking only at first stages, Turtwig just barely edges out Piplup and Chimchar.

Years
  • Turtwig's design really annoyed me. It would have been great if not for bulbasaur's and his evolution line. What fire Pokémon are available in this generation? Chimchar is probably a good option. I remember raising a piplup and empoleon was a really good Pokémon. It has been quite a number of years since I played this generation, I'm not too familiar with it.

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
    Years
  • I always pick Turtwig or Piplup, I'm just not a fan of monkey like Pokemon in general. I've raised a Chimchar once or twice by now though and it's grown on me a little, it is pretty cute for a primate.

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    either tortera or infernape. torterra had amazing synergy with staraptor in platinum. they completed each other so fittingly.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hardest starter choice for me, because it's the region with the best starter trio for me overall. I think they all have great designs and are helpful and reliable throughout the game, and whatever your choice is, you're picking something unique and with a typing that you won't find elsewhere in the game.

I'm totally fine with any of them. I usually just leave the Water starter as the last choice because if you want a good Water type there's allways a lot of options, while Fire types (at least in Sinnoh) are quite rare (stupidly rare in D/P, thankfully Platinum added more great choices like Houndoom and Magmortar) and Grass types have a decent variety but many of them aren't great.

Years
  • For me i prefer Chimchar over piplup and Turtwig it is really easy and strong to use in the beggining of game. When it gets fully evolved it is a sweeper 💪.

Years
  • I love all of them but my favorite would be Piplup because that was my first ever starter. I even have a Japanese-imported Piplup plushie I got from Third Eye Comics. Also from the Anime series, Piplup is pretty iconic : 3
    Second favorite would be Chimchar because they're so cute.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Turtwig because it evolves into Torretta and turtles are my favorite animals. If you were a big Squirtle fan, which I was, you will likely love Turtwig. Piplup is the cutest pre evo of the 3 though. Just not too crazy about Empoleon, I like Infernape and Torterra more

Years
  • Picking a Gen 4 starter was always very difficult for me... because I don't like any of them (yes, I know this is a very unpopular opinion)

Design-wise I think the Turtwig line is the best, but I prefer Piplup's playstyle and I usually like water starters so most of the time I end up picking the penguin.

Years
  • 5837d8f2dc6832d0fa2c47ac45d16831.gif

piplup rights

Years
  • For playthroughs and competitive, Infernape which isn't up for debate but personal preference I like Infernape and Torterra quite a bit.

Back