• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

• Yeah, my family is full of them. I Googled "caring for your headphones" because mine always seem to break after a few months. A poster said the computer generates a small, repetitive sound that'll wear down your headphones. If you say it's not true, then I'll take your word for it. :P

Damn... that's tough. Given your position, you have a card, so you can play games. I'd take the iPhone, personally.
    If a set of headphones can't take a certain frequency, they mustn't be good quality. Also, that must trash your ears.

Leaning toward the iPhone.
    It's kinda hard to say. When we rented, we weren't allowed to smoke inside, but since we moved, about 2 months ago, we have been allowed to smoke inside.
    Yeah, well the dust looks like a smoker's computer. It has a certain tinge. :P

I haven't tried cloud computing before so I really can't make a judgment of it, though one of my friends dislikes the idea of cloud computing; not very trusting.
    I don't think that the Australian internet infrastructure is up to cloud computing yet. At least whilst we still have download limits.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I'd love to be part of the pilot project, but I'm only 15... It looks good overall, though and I Might give it a shot on release.

I haven't tried cloud computing before so I really can't make a judgment of it, though one of my friends dislikes the idea of cloud computing; not very trusting.

You can get an idea of what its like to use a Cr-48 in three steps:
    1. Disable Java and Silverlight.
    2. Set your Windows task bar to auto hide.
    3. Open chrome, now attempt to do everything you would normally do on your computer with out leaving the chrome window.

That means if you want to chat with your MSN buddies you can't just switch over to MSN. (I use IMO to chat while on the 48). If you want to type up a document then head over to Google Dcs. And if you want to listen to music then head over to Pandora or Rhapsody.

It can be quite a pain sometimes to do the lack of Silverlight and Java support. but other than that there's no difference than browsing on your computer (except for the obvious hardware differences.)

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I seriously doubt that I could ever find a use for ChromeOS. I don't think I could get used to having all of my info out on some server where anyone could break in and browse every document or identity information packet. I'm also old fashioned that I like hard copies of my important stuff. (like my Media library, I'd rather rip fro disk and have the original disc archived than have a downloaded version)

Anyone know of any good 80-160GB SSDs at an affordable price? I just got the warning of low disk space on my current 40GB.

Buoysel

Years
  • I seriously doubt that I could ever find a use for ChromeOS. I don't think I could get used to having all of my info out on some server where anyone could break in and browse every document or identity information packet. I'm also old fashioned that I like hard copies of my important stuff. (like my Media library, I'd rather rip fro disk and have the original disc archived than have a downloaded version)

Anyone know of any good 80-160GB SSDs at an affordable price? I just got the warning of low disk space on my current 40GB.

As far as I can tell, Its just like using a regular browser, the only difference is you don't have access to local files, (other than a download folder). And no the download folder is not backed up in the cloud. Neither is your profile picture So if you wipe your device, you loose your downloads (unless you upload them somewhere like dropbox) and your profile pic.

Years
  • It can be quite a pain sometimes to do the lack of Silverlight and Java support. but other than that there's no difference than browsing on your computer (except for the obvious hardware differences.)
    See, I think that's just immature on Google's part. Fair enough that they're proprietary, which is especially fair for Silverlight, but Java is happy in a Linux environment. Why not allow it to be installed, if not bundled. That's how Ubuntu works, and quite well, I might say.
    I seriously doubt that I could ever find a use for ChromeOS. I don't think I could get used to having all of my info out on some server where anyone could break in and browse every document or identity information packet. I'm also old fashioned that I like hard copies of my important stuff. (like my Media library, I'd rather rip fro disk and have the original disc archived than have a downloaded version)
    My thoughts exactly. I want direct access to my files, which is something that cloud OSs simply don't offer.
    If you don't want to wait until the next generation of Micron controllers, such as the Corsair "3" series, then stick with Intel. The write speeds are lower, but they have a very low fail-rate. Last time I checked, Intel SSD fail-rates are under 1%, whereas other brands had between 5-10%.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • If you don't want to wait until the next generation of Micron controllers, such as the Corsair "3" series, then stick with Intel. The write speeds are lower, but they have a very low fail-rate. Last time I checked, Intel SSD fail-rates are under 1%, whereas other brands had between 5-10%.
    Right now I'm working with the 40GB Intel X-25v SSD, Ideally I'd like to get a 120-256GB Intel 510 series when they come out. I've managed to save a little space for now by deleting a couple rarely used games. I didn't realize that the Starcraft 2 folder was the same size as my System folder.

Years
  • That's massive. Wow.

I'm trying to see if I can partition part of my drive so I can install XP on it and keep Vista on the same drive. I don't think so, though.
    I don't see the point, really. Vista is a much better OS. If you want to play around, use a VM. But yes, you can easily do it, but I'd install XP first, so Vista's better boot manager takes over.

Years
  • I've noticed that some programs, like DirectX, hate my Vista OS, and XP Media Center is what is in my Recovery D:/ drive. If I were to use a VM, I'd need a product key, too.
    If your computer came with XP, there's a license sticker on the bottom/side.

What problem are you having with DirectX? Because you'll actually find that while Vista and XP are fully compatible with DirectX9 and below, only Vista and Seven can use DirectX 10, which a number of new games are exclusively supporting.

I have an AMD 6950 on the way now. Properly, as well. I'm not just stating my intentions. :P

Years
  • I'll see if I can try that.

My issues with DirectX is that a game I got years back I never used until now, that will not recognize what version I have installed. It required DirectX 6, and I have the latest version installed, yet it says Version 0.0.0 is installed and will not let me continue. I cannot test other games, but I know VLC Media Player's DirectX features also do not work, like the video for a desktop feature.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=212122
    Versions generally aren't all-inclusive. So you'll need to install the previous version, these tended to be moody with the bundled installers. You're better off with the installers from the Microsoft Website.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Needing a modem for my new computer. Sadly, it needs a PCI x1 modem.

Im kinda thinking of just buying a USB modem instead.

I'd use the x16 2.0 slot but im saving that for a video card.

Years
  • Needing a modem for my new computer. Sadly, it needs a PCI x1 modem.

Im kinda thinking of just buying a USB modem instead.

I'd use the x16 2.0 slot but im saving that for a video card.
    You mean a PCI-E modem? Either way, you should be able to get a PCI version. Please tell me that's not a dialup modem?

Not quite a computer, but I got an iPhone 4 yesterday. Wow. Time for me to learn something new.

Graphics card should turn up tomorrow, but if I miss the courier, I'll get it the next day, so I'll let you allow how that goes.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Years
  • What do people know about terrain generation?
    I am doing a report about it for University and I have, so far:

Perlin Noise
    Height Maps
    Pre-Build Terrain
    High-Level Shading Language
    Mesh Creation
    Fractal Terrain

Anyone know of any other ways to generate terrain?​

Years

• I know. But he was all like "Well, what if you decide to upgrade something else?" He insisted he buy a 700.
    I suppose. A good 650W will drive any single-card setup at the moment. I suppose you can salvage it for when you upgrade rest of the system, down the track. :D
    Yah, its dial;up :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825362009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104013

Those are the only Pci cards i've found. I doubt that the 2nd one will work and the first is just... to expensive for a modem.
    Ouch, dialup. Why do you need it? Any cheapy should do the job.

Buoysel

Years
  • Hey guys any brand segestions for Mobo. I'm building my frist system for myself I want it to get some Suggestions for a mobo. I've already choosen a CPU. Its AM3 socket. I don't mind paying for a good board, but on the same had I don't want to pay $5K for my computer either. I want a bored with at least 4 DIMM slots. I also want on board video to keep costs low and because as long as it runs Aero, I don't car what the Video is. lol

I choose that CPU because its a Quad-core @ 3.4GHz, It has 2MB of L2 6mb of L3. It also supports Type 1 Virtualization.

I found a nice mobo By ASUS its here: is ASUS a good brand in your opinion?

Years
  • Hey guys any brand segestions for Mobo. I'm building my frist system for myself I want it to get some Suggestions for a mobo. I've already choosen a CPU. Its AM3 socket. I don't mind paying for a good board, but on the same had I don't want to pay $5K for my computer either. I want a bored with at least 4 DIMM slots. I also want on board video to keep costs low and because as long as it runs Aero, I don't car what the Video is. lol

I choose that CPU because its a Quad-core @ 3.4GHz, It has 2MB of L2 6mb of L3. It also supports Type 1 Virtualization.

I found a nice mobo By ASUS its here: is ASUS a good brand in your opinion?

A lot of the higher end boards are expensive because they support multiple PCI-E x16 lanes. You basically want the 880G chipset as a minimum, for the onboard graphics. The second half of a name tells you the features. All that's worth considering is USB3 and raid support if you need it.

I'd stick to Asus and Gigabyte boards, Gigabyte being preferred for AMD. EVGA is a good brand in the US, but for Intel. Avoid MSI like the plague. It's downright horrible.

Obviously for virtualisation, you will want 8GB ram at a minimum. Get 2x4GB DIMMs, so you can get 16GB down the track. You will probably want to look at getting a better heatsink for the CPU, as the stock ones are very noisy when you push the CPU.

Happy to help with any other build advice, as well.

Happy Azumarill

All society is one big pie
    Years
  • i have a question, if i put a new motherboard in my computer will i still be able to load my other os or will i have to install it again?

i need to install a new motherboard because the one i have won't alow more than 1gb of ram.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back