• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I've put in so many hours at work, so I want a reward, lol. Just waiting on a Sapphire/Gigabyte non-reference model.
    Well congrats to you. 8D

I really can't wait until I get my PSU. COD4 should work fine on my machine. It requires a 1.8Ghz dual core CPU, and everything else my PC exceeds. Just the damn video. xD

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • Ah... After cleaning the heatsink, it's running well under 40 degrees. Much better. The heatsink was plugged (badly) with dust.

Image one: The inside of the tower (Fan is on the heatsink). Eww.
    Image two: Heatsink with fan removed. To remove the baked-on dust, I made a stupid, but smart move, and gently removed the dust with a dull butter knife. It did the job, though.

all I've got to say to that is dang. I haven;t seen that much dust inside of a computer in ages. another idea is to use a new paintbrush to help get further into the heatsink if you don't want to mess around with removing it. a natural-hair brush works best. combine the brush with a can of compressed air and you should be able to get alot of the dust out. (the brush also comes in handy with getting dust off of the PCI cards and other exposed circuit boards.)

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    This is more of an audio related question, but I heard that if you leave a pair of 3mm jack headphones plugged in when you keep your machine running all night, it could damage them. Is that true?

Years
  • Ah... After cleaning the heatsink, it's running well under 40 degrees. Much better. The heatsink was plugged (badly) with dust.

Image one: The inside of the tower (Fan is on the heatsink). Eww.
    Image two: Heatsink with fan removed. To remove the baked-on dust, I made a stupid, but smart move, and gently removed the dust with a dull butter knife. It did the job, though.
    Sadly, I've seen machines that have been much, much worse. Spiders, caterpillars, you name it. Has anyone in your house smoked inside?
    This is more of an audio related question, but I heard that if you leave a pair of 3mm jack headphones plugged in when you keep your machine running all night, it could damage them. Is that true?
    No. I haven't unplugged my headphones in months. And I have the computer on for 12 hours at a time quite regularly. Although that's only anecdotal, there's no reason why it would. Most rumours regarding PCs and technology are derived from idiots who think they know what they're talking about - ie. the "family friend who's good with computers" is usually clueless and will make up advice that they think is right, then people propagate it.

Hmmmm... iPhone or new graphics card.....choices.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • No. I haven't unplugged my headphones in months. And I have the computer on for 12 hours at a time quite regularly. Although that's only anecdotal, there's no reason why it would. Most rumours regarding PCs and technology are derived from idiots who think they know what they're talking about - ie. the "family friend who's good with computers" is usually clueless and will make up advice that they think is right, then people propagate it.

I leave my laptop that is a desktop replacement on 24/7 and it has my external speakers plugged in the same amount of time (24/7).

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    No. I haven't unplugged my headphones in months. And I have the computer on for 12 hours at a time quite regularly. Although that's only anecdotal, there's no reason why it would. Most rumours regarding PCs and technology are derived from idiots who think they know what they're talking about - ie. the "family friend who's good with computers" is usually clueless and will make up advice that they think is right, then people propagate it.
    Yeah, my family is full of them. I Googled "caring for your headphones" because mine always seem to break after a few months. A poster said the computer generates a small, repetitive sound that'll wear down your headphones. If you say it's not true, then I'll take your word for it. :P

Hmmmm... iPhone or new graphics card.....choices.
    Damn... that's tough. Given your position, you have a card, so you can play games. I'd take the iPhone, personally.

Buoysel

Years
  • Just wondering what everybody thinks about Google's Chrome OS, and cloud computing in general?

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Well, we're getting much closer to the IPocalpyse. According to one site, the number of unallocated IANA IP addresses has dropped below one million (!) while another suggests that we still have about 9 million left. Either way, by the end of this week, we're screwed.

Buoysel

Years
  • Well, we're getting much closer to the IPocalpyse. According to one site, the number of unallocated IANA IP addresses has dropped below one million (!) while another suggests that we still have about 9 million left. Either way, by the end of this week, we're screwed.

Lol and life will halt as we know it xD

I'm sure some ISPs will just switch over to NAT to further delay it. Of course if some companies like Apple were to get off their A class IP and share some of those it sure would help out. (not just Apple, IBM and all other A class IP Holders. They have millions of address not being used. )

But such is life.

I wonder what will happen once we run out, The internet will crash and we will sit at our computer attempting to refresh Facebook. We will then wonder what to do with our lives now that we can't connect to FB.

Some people will probably just not be able to connect at times, would be my best guess.

Zet

Years
  • Just wondering what everybody thinks about Google's Chrome OS, and cloud computing in general?
    I haven't tried cloud computing before so I really can't make a judgment of it, though one of my friends dislikes the idea of cloud computing; not very trusting.

Well, we're getting much closer to the IPocalpyse. According to one site, the number of unallocated IANA IP addresses has dropped below one million (!) while another suggests that we still have about 9 million left. Either way, by the end of this week, we're screwed.

I think there's still a few good more months left before we run out, though the ISP I'm with right now doesn't offer IPv6.

Years

Never seen Google's Chrome OS in action, so I can't comment. I do have issues with cloud computing from a personal information security standpoint, because those cloud server farms are just goldmines of personal information for cybercriminals to attack and get a ton of information all at once, and I doubt they're much more secure from the internet than any other corporate network.

For $130, you can get an ATI 5770. For a little more, the Nvidia GTX460 1GB or AMD 6850.

I will look into those cards and see which I can afford.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back