• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Existence a Paradox?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
  • I've always wondered about life and our purpose on the planet. So I guess the real question is.. Is life and death a paradox? Are we actually here or is life what we perceive it as? Are we a computer simulation or are we actually here to fulfill our purpose as a human being? We can't really prove anything with hard concrete evidence so I guess the question is up in the air.. What are your guys's thoughts?

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • I think that, depending on whether or not you believe in God and how you define "simulation," we could be living in an equal parts real world and simulated world. The matter of whether a simulated reality is more real or more simulated is entirely a matter of perception, I'd think. I'm also not entirely sure what you mean by "is life and death a paradox..."?

I think that 'purpose' is entirely subjective. In my opinion, trying to purport a universal purpose for life/humanity is naive (obviously aside from mutual coexistence and peace, but I think that's more of a necessary baseline and less of a purpose towards which individuals strive).

For example: I strive towards personal happiness and making other peoples' lives easier, and those two objects often entail effort in school and my chosen career. Others might strive towards success, love, personal fulfillment, money, making the world a better place, or any combination therein.

Your reality is what you percieve it to be, and so your purpose is what you make of it. As long as people aren't hurting each other, the purpose of life can be whatever you want it to be.

OR LIFE IS A LIE, THE CIA IS THE HAND OF GOD AND GOD IS THE PRESIDENT? WE ARE ALL HERE FOR NOTHING. WHO'S TO SAY

Side note: i dont really have much purpose in life so :)
    Side note #2: this was much longer than i thought it would be? im sorry lmao
    Edit: you're right though, no concrete evidence to be found

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Because there isn't hardcore evidence, I treat this question with occam's razor. the most simple answer is the right one. So I believe the reality we experience is... well the "true" reality.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Because there isn't hardcore evidence, I treat this question with occam's razor. the most simple answer is the right one. So I believe the reality we experience is... well the "true" reality.

What are your thoughts on death and what happens in the afterlife? Do we reincarnate, go to heaven/hell (if such a place exists), does our soul live on in the afterlife, etc?

Also, what are your thoughts on hell on earth? Are we in hell for sins we committed in a past life and forced to pay that debt for eternity or can earth be heaven and hell?

Not sure if these questions make sense I can't really find a way to explain the questions better.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Reality, our reality, is real to us. I think that's all that should matter. Even if we are some elaborate simulation, to us we're still real

pkmin3033

I think consciousness would be the paradox here, rather than existence. That we are able to recognise these things in some form, yet are unaware as to whether or not we're actually perceiving them correctly, or in their entirety...or at all, even. We're conscious and self-aware, but at the same time we're not, because the only context for that we have is limited by our perception of reality. Or something.

But then, does it matter whether it's all real or not as long as it seems real? If you can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy, is there a difference? I try to take the view that what I don't know about, I can't do anything about, so I'd be better off focusing on reality as I perceive it...if there's a "true" reality outside of that, I won't have a say in whether I get to experience that or not in all probability. I can't look for something when I don't know what I'm looking for in the first place.

I highly doubt I have a full grasp of reality. But what I have is all I've got and likely all I am going to get.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • What are your thoughts on death and what happens in the afterlife? Do we reincarnate, go to heaven/hell (if such a place exists), does our soul live on in the afterlife, etc?

Also, what are your thoughts on hell on earth? Are we in hell for sins we committed in a past life and forced to pay that debt for eternity or can earth be heaven and hell?

Not sure if these questions make sense I can't really find a way to explain the questions better.

We have to look at the evidence to determine these answers. Personally, I'm a Christian, but others would disagree on the existence of god because discovery can come through various methods. Some look to science, others to morals, etc.

Echidna

Years
  • I think consciousness would be the paradox here, rather than existence. That we are able to recognise these things in some form, yet are unaware as to whether or not we're actually perceiving them correctly, or in their entirety...or at all, even. We're conscious and self-aware, but at the same time we're not, because the only context for that we have is limited by our perception of reality. Or something.
    I wouldn't so much define that as a paradox, I don't think. In and of itself, the limit of our perception creates what I'd describe as an illusion. Science has more or less proven that everything is made up of particles and waves (which often behave as particles insofar as we perceive them). Whether or not you're religious can highly affect the meaning you place on limited perception... if that makes any sense?

What I mean to say is that some might consider the limits of our perception as fundamentally metaphysical in nature, in accordance to their belief system. I have another point of view wherein, not necessarily contradicting the belief in a higher being, I find more merit in a scientific explanation. Our sensory perception is no more than how our brains decipher electromagnetism, chemicals, vibrations, pressure, and temperature (among other things). Given that color, taste, sound... etc, aren't necessarily real outside of our own perception of them, beyond that, how we assign meanings to reality is always gonna be limited by that (perhaps unfortunate) truth. In my opinion at least.

I do find it fascinating and fortunate that our capacity for intelligent thought allows us to be conscious of this phenomenon. Maybe we'll be able to see past our own limits someday, should technology allow it (though I suspect that'll screw with a lot of minds mine, for sure) haha.
    But then, does it matter whether it's all real or not as long as it seems real? If you can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy, is there a difference? I try to take the view that what I don't know about, I can't do anything about, so I'd be better off focusing on reality as I perceive it...if there's a "true" reality outside of that, I won't have a say in whether I get to experience that or not in all probability. I can't look for something when I don't know what I'm looking for in the first place.
    Neo would probably disagree, much to the dismay (or relief?) of everyone still stuck in the Matrix d:
    We have to look at the evidence to determine these answers. Personally, I'm a Christian, but others would disagree on the existence of god because discovery can come through various methods. Some look to science, others to morals, etc.
    I don't really think there's much evidence to either prove or disprove the existence of hell or the afterlife tbh. When someone is revived after having been medically deceased for a period of time and claims to have seen "the light," science-inclined individuals will attribute this to postmortem brain activity, and religion-inclined individuals may (or may not) attribute this to the afterlife. Sorry if that sounds like b&w thinking, it's just easier to express this way. Clearly not all religious / scientific people abide by a singular uniform code of thought.

We can't with any degree of certainty discern whether or not the afterlife exists. Dead people are the only ones who could definitively know either way, and they generally don't come back to tell us, sadly.

pkmin3033

I wouldn't so much define that as a paradox, I don't think. In and of itself, the limit of our perception creates what I'd describe as an illusion. Science has more or less proven that everything is made up of particles and waves (which often behave as particles insofar as we perceive them). Whether or not you're religious can highly affect the meaning you place on limited perception... if that makes any sense?

What I mean to say is that some might consider the limits of our perception as fundamentally metaphysical in nature, in accordance to their belief system. I have another point of view wherein, not necessarily contradicting the belief in a higher being, I find more merit in a scientific explanation. Our sensory perception is no more than how our brains decipher electromagnetism, chemicals, vibrations, pressure, and temperature (among other things). Given that color, taste, sound... etc, aren't necessarily real outside of our own perception of them, beyond that, how we assign meanings to reality is always gonna be limited by that (perhaps unfortunate) truth. In my opinion at least.

I do find it fascinating and fortunate that our capacity for intelligent thought allows us to be conscious of this phenomenon. Maybe we'll be able to see past our own limits someday, should technology allow it (though I suspect that'll screw with a lot of minds mine, for sure) haha.
    I'll admit that "illusion" might be a better word for it, but I think in a lot of instances that illusion would lead to a paradox depending upon the way you process things, and whether or not you believe that you have everything you need in order to understand what you're perceiving. But how do you begin to even decide whether or not these things are an illusion or a paradox?

Has science really proven anything, though? I mean, isn't scientific theory in and of itself simply another limiting belief system, wholly dependent upon your perspective and willingness to believe in its validity? One can argue that the observations that scientific theory rests upon make it more credible, but there are still contradictions within that, and things that just cannot be explained, and things that simply aren't addressed at all. The same as religious belief systems, which answer a lot of questions scientific theory does not, yet ignore a lot of things scientific theory attempts to explain. What makes one any more credible than the other? If we know and understand reality as it truly is, shouldn't the system that we use - be it science or religion or anything else - not contain any gaps, logically speaking?

And wait...logic? Does logic have any merit whatsoever? What if things just don't make sense in reality? I think part of this need for everything to make sense is due to mankind's general fear of the unknown, and that need to understand and have everything make sense so that we can function within an environment...I mean, can you imagine not having any systems to work in, and being a creature of what we would perceive as "pure instinct" or something similar? It's...very hard to imagine, for me at least. But what if reality doesn't work in any systems at all? I mean, like you said, these things aren't necessarily real outside of our own perception of them. We might need a completely different mode of thinking - which we could very well be incapable of right now - to actually understand anything. Scary thought.

I suppose that having a shared belief system like scientific explanations or a religious system allows for a kind of shared reality amongst individuals, which from some perspectives could give it more weight than an individual perspective - which will be loosely based upon those systems anyway; nobody really thinks outside the box in any meaningful sense here...or if they do then nobody has recognised that for what it is - but when the minds that created and contributed to that system are limited and potentially unaware of factors outside of their perception that would alter that, does it have any meaning at all, really? Well, meaning beyond the societal context it has.

I think when it comes to the science vs. religion debate, the two ideas aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but I think that science deals more with...tangible, visible instances, rather than the more spiritual ones? From a societal perspective science might be something that we can use to communicate in an easier fashion, because it appeals to logic and this idea that everyone is the same in how they function, at least on a physical level. Religion seems more concerned with, broadly speaking, the essence or "soul" of a person, which isn't something as easily identified or explained. It's more...personal, maybe? I'm not religious and nor do I have a grasp of every religion ever practiced, so I couldn't say for certain, but religion doesn't serve as the glue of a society like it used to...you get several people with different religions all co-existing together. You can have several scientific theories, but they all relate to what is seen as the same thing. It's not as...divisive, shall we say.

Personally, when it comes to understand reality outside of ourselves I find no more merit in science than I do in religion, because both are man-made constructs. They allow us to communicate with one another and relate to the world around us on some level, but I don't think they really truly allow us to understand things outside of our own consciousness (if we can even truly understand that...god knows I don't know what I'm thinking sometimes) in any meaningful sense. I mean, who is to say in another century or two science as we currently know it won't be discarded in favour of something more representative (to the human mind, at least) of the true nature of reality? What if we suddenly start experiencing "miracles" en masse that science has no explanation for, and people discard these ideas in favour of belief in a deity? If we discover some form of "magic" or something? I don't think we're any closer now to really understanding things than we ever were, and I'm not sure if anything we currently have will actually get us there...or even if we're already there and just not aware of it yet...in which case we might as well not be there, because we don't understand that we do understand. Or something.

And hey, maybe there's nothing to understand at all! Maybe there is no reality beyond what we know and we define it and give it meaning ourselves...isn't the concept of reality a perception in and of itself? I suppose the idea of perfect understanding, and this topic in general, is very metaphysical, which means you can go in circles all day with it. I mean, you can make any number of arguments for and against the various perspectives on what would constitute the true nature of reality, and how are you going to go about separating them out and discovering which one is right...if any of them are?

That said, if it does exist, I wonder if humanity is actually progressing towards that understanding of reality, or moving further away from it. As we develop new ideas and theories, are we reaching towards greater understanding, or missing the point? I mean, just because we can do more things doesn't mean that we really understand what we're doing, does it? It's interesting that we know that we don't know...or know that we might not know. Self-awareness is a bitch. xD

and oh god I'm so sorry I went on for much longer than I planned to and I probably made a mess of this

Echidna

Years
  • I'll admit that "illusion" might be a better word for it, but I think in a lot of instances that illusion would lead to a paradox depending upon the way you process things, and whether or not you believe that you have everything you need in order to understand what you're perceiving. But how do you begin to even decide whether or not these things are an illusion or a paradox?

Has science really proven anything, though? I mean, isn't scientific theory in and of itself simply another limiting belief system, wholly dependent upon your perspective and willingness to believe in its validity? One can argue that the observations that scientific theory rests upon make it more credible, but there are still contradictions within that, and things that just cannot be explained, and things that simply aren't addressed at all. The same as religious belief systems, which answer a lot of questions scientific theory does not, yet ignore a lot of things scientific theory attempts to explain. What makes one any more credible than the other? If we know and understand reality as it truly is, shouldn't the system that we use - be it science or religion or anything else - not contain any gaps, logically speaking?
    It's an inconceivable notion to answer such a question without first determining some sort of baseline, in this case: what exactly are we defining as "reality"? Is reality the object of what is truly real, or the subject of what we perceive as real? Is the passage of time a construct of our own perception, or does dimensional theory befittingly describe the phenomenon of time as a natural occurrence? Debates like this can proceed endlessly, question begetting question begetting question. On the one hand, is it not naive to assume that our thoughts carry any merit at all outside of our own minds? On the other, is such a statement not inherently limiting?

Science, religion, and even this conversation we're having right now, are all experiences that can't be removed from our individual perception glasses, as it were. Intelligent discourse necessitates as a function some sort of equal and objective understanding. Arguably, equalizing the field may be impossible. One does not - cannot - describe a color as orange if they don't perceive as such.

You're right about science, though. I probably shouldn't say "proven," as nothing is truly proven. All we can do is discern with a high enough probability whether or not an idea carries any merit. "Credible" sound much better, but as you say: what assurance do we have that our own perception isn't too distorted to truly understand, or lend any degree of credence to, anything we "discover"?

And wait...logic? Does logic have any merit whatsoever? What if things just don't make sense in reality? I think part of this need for everything to make sense is due to mankind's general fear of the unknown, and that need to understand and have everything make sense so that we can function within an environment...I mean, can you imagine not having any systems to work in, and being a creature of what we would perceive as "pure instinct" or something similar? It's...very hard to imagine, for me at least. But what if reality doesn't work in any systems at all? I mean, like you said, these things aren't necessarily real outside of our own perception of them. We might need a completely different mode of thinking - which we could very well be incapable of right now - to actually understand anything. Scary thought.

I suppose that having a shared belief system like scientific explanations or a religious system allows for a kind of shared reality amongst individuals, which from some perspectives could give it more weight than an individual perspective - which will be loosely based upon those systems anyway; nobody really thinks outside the box in any meaningful sense here...or if they do then nobody has recognised that for what it is - but when the minds that created and contributed to that system are limited and potentially unaware of factors outside of their perception that would alter that, does it have any meaning at all, really? Well, meaning beyond the societal context it has.
    I understand where you're coming from here, but if our understanding of reality, limited as it may be, will never change, then does it really matter? To question our conceptual logic is paradoxical: your logical mind is questioning whether its logic can prove or disprove its logic. (that was painful, I'm sorry).

Logical thought has brought us to where we are; whether or not where we are is "real" probably doesn't matter. Science and religion, the belief systems we create to organize perceptive input, are as real to us as anything else. Because of them, we now drive cars, have instant access to information, and have a more-or-less uniform moral code (admittedly arguable, but true at the most basic level...) that's influenced global law. To be able to share our minds over the internet, as we are doing right now, is a product of that very science. Surely, it may not be real at all outside of our perception, but what is the world without a mind to perceive it? Does perception in this case not entirely define what is real? (I'd use the "if a tree falls in a forest..." conjecture, but I like to think of myself as above being cliched who am i kidding lmao)

I think when it comes to the science vs. religion debate, the two ideas aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but I think that science deals more with...tangible, visible instances, rather than the more spiritual ones? From a societal perspective science might be something that we can use to communicate in an easier fashion, because it appeals to logic and this idea that everyone is the same in how they function, at least on a physical level. Religion seems more concerned with, broadly speaking, the essence or "soul" of a person, which isn't something as easily identified or explained. It's more...personal, maybe? I'm not religious and nor do I have a grasp of every religion ever practiced, so I couldn't say for certain, but religion doesn't serve as the glue of a society like it used to...you get several people with different religions all co-existing together. You can have several scientific theories, but they all relate to what is seen as the same thing. It's not as...divisive, shall we say.

Personally, when it comes to understand reality outside of ourselves I find no more merit in science than I do in religion, because both are man-made constructs. They allow us to communicate with one another and relate to the world around us on some level, but I don't think they really truly allow us to understand things outside of our own consciousness (if we can even truly understand that...god knows I don't know what I'm thinking sometimes) in any meaningful sense. I mean, who is to say in another century or two science as we currently know it won't be discarded in favour of something more representative (to the human mind, at least) of the true nature of reality? What if we suddenly start experiencing "miracles" en masse that science has no explanation for, and people discard these ideas in favour of belief in a deity? If we discover some form of "magic" or something? I don't think we're any closer now to really understanding things than we ever were, and I'm not sure if anything we currently have will actually get us there...or even if we're already there and just not aware of it yet...in which case we might as well not be there, because we don't understand that we do understand. Or something.
    But who's to say whether the tangible or spiritual instances differ at all? Theological theory purports that - inference of outward thought aside - our limited perception offers little chance to understand the potential existence of God. If God created the world, would he abide by its rules? Consequently, could we possibly disprove (or prove, for that matter) the existence of god from the limit of our own mind? If you chose to believe that our perception shapes our reality, then the lack of any perception of a higher being can justify disbelief in such a being (or can it?). Conversely, acknowledging that even the "reality" created by our perception is limited by the same tunnel from within which we see and understand everything, can nullify the very idea of theology. How could we ever know? Who's to say God's existence is even something we can fathom insofar as proving or disproving it?

And going back to a few posts back, I see where you were coming from when you called perception/consciousness a paradox. We discuss - from within our perceptive minds - whether or not our perceptive minds perceive reality or not. Somewhere else in the world, a couple of 2 year olds talk nuclear physics. Unfathomable.

And hey, maybe there's nothing to understand at all! Maybe there is no reality beyond what we know and we define it and give it meaning ourselves...isn't the concept of reality a perception in and of itself? I suppose the idea of perfect understanding, and this topic in general, is very metaphysical, which means you can go in circles all day with it. I mean, you can make any number of arguments for and against the various perspectives on what would constitute the true nature of reality, and how are you going to go about separating them out and discovering which one is right...if any of them are?

That said, if it does exist, I wonder if humanity is actually progressing towards that understanding of reality, or moving further away from it. As we develop new ideas and theories, are we reaching towards greater understanding, or missing the point? I mean, just because we can do more things doesn't mean that we really understand what we're doing, does it? It's interesting that we know that we don't know...or know that we might not know. Self-awareness is a bitch. xD
    Agreed. Scary thoughts are scary, but what are we but a couple men playing in the mind-field of gods? To remove one's self from one's limits would be to lift the curtain, so to speak. Would we see the face of God? Or would we stare into oblivion?

EDIT: By men here, I mean "humans". Gender doesn't matter. Nothing matters.
    and oh god I'm so sorry I went on for much longer than I planned to and I probably made a mess of this
    this is getting out of hand, my brain hurts

Last edited:

pkmin3033

It's an inconceivable notion to answer such a question without first determining some sort of baseline, in this case: what exactly are we defining as "reality"? Is reality the object of what is truly real, or the subject of what we perceive as real? Is the passage of time a construct of our own perception, or does dimensional theory befittingly describe the phenomenon of time as a natural occurrence?
    ...is there a difference between those? Maybe what we perceive as real is what is actually real - it certainly seems to be to us, as you mentioned later in your post...which would make differentiating between such things an ultimately moot point, because there is no way to differentiate without stepping outside of ourselves.

I think the most accurate thing to say, perhaps, is that we have a partial understanding...we know SOMETHING is going on outside of ourselves. Or that we believe we perceive something beyond ourselves. It's a very basic self-awarness - perhaps we could call that the baseline? - that allows us to build on that and allows us to express it. Perhaps the ability to express the concepts is the point itself.

Debates like this can proceed endlessly, question begetting question begetting question. On the one hand, is it not naive to assume that our thoughts carry any merit at all outside of our own minds? On the other, is such a statement not inherently limiting?
    Hmmm...I think that would depend on the origin of those thoughts. Whether we like it or not, we are all influenced by the people around us, and a lot of our thoughts - our attitudes and values, beliefs, and other such things - are derived a great deal from these things. If our thoughts carried no merit at all outside of our own minds, we'd find it extremely difficult to communicate or function as a society. They might seem to be more tangible, independant constructs due to their shared nature, but society still rests upon shared thoughts and belief systems. We made them and continue to perpetuate them, just as they define us.

...I'm being pedantic. But if everything is subjective I'm not sure a differentiation should be made between these things. I get where you're coming from, though. When it comes to metaphysical speculation and wholly personal belief systems, it woul be naive to assume it has any merit beyond the self. Everyone has their own set, after all.

Science, religion, and even this conversation we're having right now, are all experiences that can't be removed from our individual perception glasses, as it were. Intelligent discourse necessitates as a function some sort of equal and objective understanding. Arguably, equalizing the field may be impossible. One does not - cannot - describe a color as orange if they don't perceive as such.

You're right about science, though. I probably shouldn't say "proven," as nothing is truly proven. All we can do is discern with a high enough probability whether or not an idea carries any merit. "Credible" sound much better, but as you say: what assurance do we have that our own perception isn't too distorted to truly understand, or lend any degree of credence to, anything we "discover"?
    Equal and objective? Interesting choice of words. Given that people have different experiences and thought patterns and --- let's just say different lives for the sake of saving time and our sanity - equalising understanding would be an impossible task, as everyone is going to process things differently. If understanding was equal, we wouldn't need to talk about things in such detail, surely. We'd all know exactly the same things and have exactly the same thoughts. Perhaps. Maybe that's taking it to extremes, but that'd be how I'd interpret equality of thought.

And as for objectivity...well, isn't that a naive concept in and of itself? As long as you have independant thought and ideas, you're subject to bias. I think perfect neutrality towards any subject is possible only through total ignorance - you can't be subject to bias if you're not aware of something, after all.

I understand where you're coming from here, but if our understanding of reality, limited as it may be, will never change, then does it really matter? To question our conceptual logic is paradoxical: your logical mind is questioning whether its logic can prove or disprove its logic. (that was painful, I'm sorry).

Logical thought has brought us to where we are; whether or not where we are is "real" probably doesn't matter. Science and religion, the belief systems we create to organize perceptive input, are as real to us as anything else. Because of them, we now drive cars, have instant access to information, and have a more-or-less uniform moral code (admittedly arguable, but true at the most basic level...) that's influenced global law. To be able to share our minds over the internet, as we are doing right now, is a product of that very science. Surely, it may not be real at all outside of our perception, but what is the world without a mind to perceive it? Does perception in this case not entirely define what is real? (I'd use the "if a tree falls in a forest..." conjecture, but I like to think of myself as above being cliched who am i kidding lmao)
    Ah-hah, so it IS a paradox in some sense! xD

As to whether or not it matters...well, only if you wish it to matter, surely? If it matters to you, nobody can disprove that...the same way that you can't really prove it. Proof is such a difficult thing, and yet in modern society it seems to be the measure of the idea of objective worth. Strange. But I digress.

Are those really achievements, though? I mean, sure, we couldn't do these things in the past, but looking at mankind's achievements through mankind's eyes...there's that bias again. You could flip that entirely on its head, too - is there no value in consistency? In purity of expression and thought? You could argue that logical thought has taken us so far away from what we were that we could be further away from truly understanding ourselves than we have ever been. I mean, if we are just like any other form of life on this planet...well, we have theories of evolution and what have you, but no other species has changed in the same fashion as we have. That might be because they don't need to, rather than because they can't...or they have changed in other, more meaningful ways. Not sure where I'm going with that, but I suppose my point is that there might not be as much merit to logical thought as we like to suppose there is. It's impossible to know what the world is without a mind to perceive it, since we have minds, and if we somehow got rid of those minds we would (presumably) cease to be ourselves. So it wouln't matter. So it doesn't matter...unless you want it to, anyway. It definitely seems that reality as we know it is entirely down to our perception as individuals for the most part...the problem is that we have that shared reality with the rest of society, which opens us up to further influence beyond that. Perhaps.

I was trying so hard to avoid the tree conjecture in my last post, and I am SO glad you brought it up first, because I don't think I would have been able to avoid it forever. xD

But who's to say whether the tangible or spiritual instances differ at all? Theological theory purports that - inference of outward thought aside - our limited perception offers little chance to understand the potential existence of God. If God created the world, would he abide by its rules? Consequently, could we possibly disprove (or prove, for that matter) the existence of god from the limit of our own mind? If you chose to believe that our perception shapes our reality, then the lack of any perception of a higher being can justify disbelief in such a being (or can it?). Conversely, acknowledging that even the "reality" created by our perception is limited by the same tunnel from within which we see and understand everything, can nullify the very idea of theology. How could we ever know? Who's to say God's existence is even something we can fathom insofar as proving or disproving it?

And going back to a few posts back, I see where you were coming from when you called perception/consciousness a paradox. We discuss - from within our perceptive minds - whether or not our perceptive minds perceive reality or not. Somewhere else in the world, a couple of 2 year olds talk nuclear physics. Unfathomable.
    But according to some religions - a lot of them actually, I think - didn't God make Man in His own image? Maybe we're closer than we think.

I sometimes wonder if Man creates God, and lack of perception of belief removes God from the equasion...or perhaps He (or She) simply takes on another form. Perhaps "God" is the end result of the concept of true understanding, or the nature of reality beyond our limited scope? "Playing God" is a popular term for when scientists step over that moral line, or cross into the realms of manipulating life. So perhaps that is what "God" is, rather than a supposedly omnipotent being who is seemingly beyond our comprehension with our limited thought patterns. I know many religious people and texts would disagree with me, but I find it an interesting idea that reconciles a few things in my mind...like how we can have so many different sets of ideas for what seems to be the same thing, from the perspective of someone who has never really believed in a higher power in that sense.

Agreed. Scary thoughts are scary, but what are we but a couple men playing in the mind-field of gods? To remove one's self from one's limits would be to lift the curtain, so to speak. Would we see the face of God? Or would we stare into oblivion?

EDIT: By men here, I mean "humans". Gender doesn't matter. Nothing matters.

this is getting out of hand, my brain hurts
    Would there be a difference? Presumably it would be oblivion in a sense, as we would move beyond the concepts we have that structure our thinking - Life and Death, Time, etc - and see things in a...different fashion. I hesitate to use the word "complete" because it is entirely possible that if we removed our limits in that fashion absolutely nothing would change beyond a certainty that our thoughts were, in fact, correct all along. That element of certainty might be all we lack. I doubt it somehow, but...well, it's one possibility.

I'm having so much fun with this. xD

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • We don't know. That's the answer.

There are various theories out there regarding what happens to us after death, but none of them have ever been proven to be real. As for the purpose of life, we don't know what that is either. I tend to lean towards the idea that it was a random freak of nature occurring about five billion years ago, at least on Earth. There is evidence to give me that number at least, which is more than most proposals have. And if it was a random event with no higher meaning, than we live simply to avoid death.

Greater meanings likely started to arise along with another freak of nature: the evolution of intelligence in human beings. With this intelligence we have learned to delay death with modern medicine, but we've also built up civilization from the ground up, preserving the legacies of most of the people who have come before us. Keeping this in mind, I like to think that the purpose of my life is to contribute to this building of civilization, and trying to leave the world as a better place after I'm gone than it would have been had I never been born.

Echidna

Years
  • I feel like this is going the "you can't possibly know that's real... or can you?" direction, and I love it!
    for the sake of saving time and our sanity
    We are well beyond that point, my friend. d:
    ...is there a difference between those? Maybe what we perceive as real is what is actually real - it certainly seems to be to us, as you mentioned later in your post...which would make differentiating between such things an ultimately moot point, because there is no way to differentiate without stepping outside of ourselves.

I think the most accurate thing to say, perhaps, is that we have a partial understanding...we know SOMETHING is going on outside of ourselves. Or that we believe we perceive something beyond ourselves. It's a very basic self-awarness - perhaps we could call that the baseline? - that allows us to build on that and allows us to express it. Perhaps the ability to express the concepts is the point itself.
    tenor.gif

(sorry i couldn't resist)
    I'd argue that there is a difference between those two, or that at least there could be. Even if our perception of reality were accurate, it doesn't make it complete; the gaps within our own notion of reality are large enough that - in the present time & existentialist wonderment notwithstanding - we have no way of truly knowing. Religion wonders of God and science speculates of dark matter and the edge of the universe. In the same vein, despite the possibility that our perceived reality is our actual reality, we don't have the tools or the proper perspective to find out. At least not yet.

I understand that such thoughts essentially close too many doors, and I agree that self-awareness is probably the best baseline in this situation. I'm too tired for this, I'm not sure my thoughts are translating properly into text xD
    Hmmm...I think that would depend on the origin of those thoughts. Whether we like it or not, we are all influenced by the people around us, and a lot of our thoughts - our attitudes and values, beliefs, and other such things - are derived a great deal from these things. If our thoughts carried no merit at all outside of our own minds, we'd find it extremely difficult to communicate or function as a society. They might seem to be more tangible, independant constructs due to their shared nature, but society still rests upon shared thoughts and belief systems. We made them and continue to perpetuate them, just as they define us.

...I'm being pedantic. But if everything is subjective I'm not sure a differentiation should be made between these things. I get where you're coming from, though. When it comes to metaphysical speculation and wholly personal belief systems, it woul be naive to assume it has any merit beyond the self. Everyone has their own set, after all.
    I have no qualms with any of this! I wasn't necessarily speaking in terms of essentialism or even socialism, I just think that, existentially/metaphysically/whatever term is appropriate (I'm running on coffee and childhood regrets right now), our thoughts more than likely don't carry much merit if only due to the limits of our own perception. That was an unnecessarily long sentence. The point I was originally going for was that the limits of not only our perspective but the thoughts bred therein would lead us to endlessly wonder if every conclusion we arrive at is a cognitive illusion, and should therefor be reexamined. We'd end up in a never-ending loop.

I'm almost left wondering if we're actually trying to figure something out or not hahaha. If I recall correctly, this was originally (and at least partially) about whether or not reality as we perceive it is real. And to that end, I find it difficult to reach a conclusion because you're right, we don't really know anything.

Equal and objective? Interesting choice of words. Given that people have different experiences and thought patterns and --- let's just say different lives for the sake of saving time and our sanity - equalising understanding would be an impossible task, as everyone is going to process things differently. If understanding was equal, we wouldn't need to talk about things in such detail, surely. We'd all know exactly the same things and have exactly the same thoughts. Perhaps. Maybe that's taking it to extremes, but that'd be how I'd interpret equality of thought.

And as for objectivity...well, isn't that a naive concept in and of itself? As long as you have independant thought and ideas, you're subject to bias. I think perfect neutrality towards any subject is possible only through total ignorance - you can't be subject to bias if you're not aware of something, after all.
    Exactly my point! I may have skipped a beat in my original post. What I meant is that in order to have an intelligent (or at least somewhat meaningful) debate about a topic this complex, two separate individuals would have to be entirely on the same page in terms of what they are perceiving. Two people can't agree on the actuality of their shared reality because we don't necessarily know that they do share a reality at all, in the same way that we can't know whether the orange that two people see is the same orange. Or whether or not the reason people have different tastes in food (and similarly different sensibilities for certain smells) is because the same food doesn't taste the same to them, at least in the way they perceive it. As I stated waaaay up there somewhere in a previous post, color, smell, taste, sound... etc, are all inherently individualistic in that their existence depends entirely on the individual perception of certain stimuli by different people.

Using that same logic (HA! logic...), who's to say that the perceived reality that we are trying to understand is even the same reality, given that we might perceive everything differently. I'm confusing myself.
    Are those really achievements, though? I mean, sure, we couldn't do these things in the past, but looking at mankind's achievements through mankind's eyes...there's that bias again. You could flip that entirely on its head, too - is there no value in consistency? In purity of expression and thought? You could argue that logical thought has taken us so far away from what we were that we could be further away from truly understanding ourselves than we have ever been. I mean, if we are just like any other form of life on this planet...well, we have theories of evolution and what have you, but no other species has changed in the same fashion as we have. That might be because they don't need to, rather than because they can't...or they have changed in other, more meaningful ways. Not sure where I'm going with that, but I suppose my point is that there might not be as much merit to logical thought as we like to suppose there is. It's impossible to know what the world is without a mind to perceive it, since we have minds, and if we somehow got rid of those minds we would (presumably) cease to be ourselves. So it wouln't matter. So it doesn't matter...unless you want it to, anyway. It definitely seems that reality as we know it is entirely down to our perception as individuals for the most part...the problem is that we have that shared reality with the rest of society, which opens us up to further influence beyond that. Perhaps.
    That's a really good point. I won't argue for the sake of arguing (but I'll admit that I really, really want to, partially because this is really fun and partially because I'm in the debating mindset hahaha).

If I might ask a question though: considering the possibility that we as a species have moved away from truly understanding ourselves and our reality, what would you argue we have moved away from? Is it a matter of simplicity? Is it spiritual, religious, perhaps even introspective? I'm just curious!
    I was trying so hard to avoid the tree conjecture in my last post, and I am SO glad you brought it up first, because I don't think I would have been able to avoid it forever. xD
    Hey look IT WAS THE LOGICAL PLACE TO GO WITH THAT. I actually typed it out and then went back and checked myself haha.
    But according to some religions - a lot of them actually, I think - didn't God make Man in His own image? Maybe we're closer than we think.
    Even so, how would those abiding by such religions even know? Most religious text has not only been translated but also appropriated over time and in different societies and political atmospheres. Even if, for the sake of argument, we assume that God is real and created a certain religion, why would the followers of said religion not be ailed by the same perceptive limits of everyone else; why would they know God, but no one else?

Additionally, a lot of people tend to ask: if God is real, where did he come from?
    Well I ask: if God created the world, why would he be limited by its laws of causality? We assume that everything has a beginning and has an end, but that assumption is just another factor limiting our minds. Why should we assume that God would even need a beginning? I'm not trying to argue that God exists. I just find that in terms of speculation, theological or what have you, our limited perception creates a sort of bias. We wonder where God comes from because we assume everything has to come from somewhere. Good luck trying to convince someone otherwise d:
    I sometimes wonder if Man creates God, and lack of perception of belief removes God from the equasion...or perhaps He (or She) simply takes on another form. Perhaps "God" is the end result of the concept of true understanding, or the nature of reality beyond our limited scope? "Playing God" is a popular term for when scientists step over that moral line, or cross into the realms of manipulating life. So perhaps that is what "God" is, rather than a supposedly omnipotent being who is seemingly beyond our comprehension with our limited thought patterns. I know many religious people and texts would disagree with me, but I find it an interesting idea that reconciles a few things in my mind...like how we can have so many different sets of ideas for what seems to be the same thing, from the perspective of someone who has never really believed in a higher power in that sense.
    I agree. The idea of God is just a concept, one that many people feel/think differently about. (I'm also not saying that God doesn't exist, just to be clear. I generally avoid those kinds of discussions)
    Would there be a difference? Presumably it would be oblivion in a sense, as we would move beyond the concepts we have that structure our thinking - Life and Death, Time, etc - and see things in a...different fashion. I hesitate to use the word "complete" because it is entirely possible that if we removed our limits in that fashion absolutely nothing would change beyond a certainty that our thoughts were, in fact, correct all along. That element of certainty might be all we lack. I doubt it somehow, but...well, it's one possibility.

I'm having so much fun with this. xD
    It's really hard to even fathom what that would be like. Without a frame of reference, I prefer to tread those waters carefully, if at all. Admittedly when I begin to think about something like this I always end up crying d:

i feel guilty about enjoying this, idk why hahaha

pkmin3033

We are well beyond that point, my friend. d:
    I think we passed that point several years before we even started this...or at least I did. xD

I'd argue that there is a difference between those two, or that at least there could be. Even if our perception of reality were accurate, it doesn't make it complete; the gaps within our own notion of reality are large enough that - in the present time & existentialist wonderment notwithstanding - we have no way of truly knowing. Religion wonders of God and science speculates of dark matter and the edge of the universe. In the same vein, despite the possibility that our perceived reality is our actual reality, we don't have the tools or the proper perspective to find out. At least not yet.
    Well, I wouldn't deny that there could be a difference, but I do wonder. I'm not entirely sure what a "complete" perception of reality would entail, honestly! I think we'd be entering the realm of omniscience, and that creates all sorts of messy tangents as to whether things will happen in a set way or not, whether there are infinite possibilities beyond what we can perceive, and what reality actually IS. What are we even trying to perceive here? It's probably safe to say that there is a difference, as all we can recognise is what we perceive, and as we all perceive different things...well, unless you're a solipsist, that implies an incomplete perception of reality straight away, as no two realities between individuals are exactly alike...presumably. There's an assumption in there that nobody is pondering what I am pondering. xD

I understand that such thoughts essentially close too many doors, and I agree that self-awareness is probably the best baseline in this situation. I'm too tired for this, I'm not sure my thoughts are translating properly into text xD
    Aaah, interesting you bring that up! Isn't our whole basis for communicating this insufficient? I mean, words are a very diverse and complex tool for communication, but also very limited because of that. Being precise with words is an incredibly difficult and time-consuming task...hence why this is getting longer and longer, haha.

That's kinda going back to your earlier example about not being able to describe the colour orange if you don't perceive it. We can't describe our reality (or an external reality) to someone else with words even with that baseline, because it's not something they can perceive. Words allow for an approximation of understanding, but not a complete one. One of us could have a perfect understanding of reality, but we would never be able to fully explain that to others due to our limited ability to communicate.

tl;dr We can dance around the same point all day and even if we agree we'll come away with completely different interpretations of that point, both real to us, but neither necessarily real from that phantom objective viewpoint we're striving to reach. Diversity is such fun.

I have no qualms with any of this! I wasn't necessarily speaking in terms of essentialism or even socialism, I just think that, existentially/metaphysically/whatever term is appropriate (I'm running on coffee and childhood regrets right now), our thoughts more than likely don't carry much merit if only due to the limits of our own perception. That was an unnecessarily long sentence. The point I was originally going for was that the limits of not only our perspective but the thoughts bred therein would lead us to endlessly wonder if every conclusion we arrive at is a cognitive illusion, and should therefor be reexamined. We'd end up in a never-ending loop.
    Ah, I see...although I wonder. People generally take an observable majority as objective truth, if they didn't then scientific theory, religious practices, and even social structure wouldn't function. But this idea of instinct, and that we KNOW some things on a basic level and will do them without even thinking, leads me to wonder if that could apply to existential thinking as well.

I mean, these thoughts have to come from somewhere, don't they? Is it possible that they carry more merit than we might suppose, given that these are things that repeatedly crop up in society in general? Is it all in our heads, so to speak, or does it have an application outside of being a construct we use to perceive the world around us? Sure, there are a lot of contradictions between pretty much every school of thought out there, but there is no reason that everything can't be correct, and the interpretation of reality doesn't matter as long as you are perceiving the same things. Maybe observation and acknowledgement is enough? Just understanding that something is there beyond yourself?

I'm almost left wondering if we're actually trying to figure something out or not hahaha. If I recall correctly, this was originally (and at least partially) about whether or not reality as we perceive it is real. And to that end, I find it difficult to reach a conclusion because you're right, we don't really know anything.
    I think that was what we were originally talking about, but then we ended up sharing metaphysical viewpoints. xD
    Lack of knowledge - or at least lack of certainty within that knowledge - is always going to make it difficult to draw any conclusion beyond not being able to draw a conclusion, yes. At least if you stop to really think about things, and question what I expect most dismiss or never even consider in their lives.

Exactly my point! I may have skipped a beat in my original post. What I meant is that in order to have an intelligent (or at least somewhat meaningful) debate about a topic this complex, two separate individuals would have to be entirely on the same page in terms of what they are perceiving. Two people can't agree on the actuality of their shared reality because we don't necessarily know that they do share a reality at all, in the same way that we can't know whether the orange that two people see is the same orange. Or whether or not the reason people have different tastes in food (and similarly different sensibilities for certain smells) is because the same food doesn't taste the same to them, at least in the way they perceive it. As I stated waaaay up there somewhere in a previous post, color, smell, taste, sound... etc, are all inherently individualistic in that their existence depends entirely on the individual perception of certain stimuli by different people.

Using that same logic (HA! logic...), who's to say that the perceived reality that we are trying to understand is even the same reality, given that we might perceive everything differently. I'm confusing myself.
    I feel like I should have something to add to this, but I think I pretty much agree with that, haha. To even have a conversation like this - or even co-exist in a social structure - our thinking has to rest on a hell of a lot of assumptions, and we have to take certain things in without even considering them....lots and lots of things that are actually really hard to think about because I'm so used to NOT thinking about them.

But then, I wonder if these things that we don't acknowledge because we don't feel the need to, or because we don't even consider it, are what could be considered "true" reality, and our shared understanding of that is why we don't need to communicate it. Even if we perceive it differently, and react to it differently. Understanding does not have to be a conscious process, after all...in fact, given the number of directions our thoughts can take, and the contradictions we can find in things that are apparently very simple, one could argue that conscious understanding is actually impossible, due to our need for things to make sense in a way our minds can put into thoughts...or worse, words.

That's a really good point. I won't argue for the sake of arguing (but I'll admit that I really, really want to, partially because this is really fun and partially because I'm in the debating mindset hahaha).
    ...maybe in another thread. xD

If I might ask a question though: considering the possibility that we as a species have moved away from truly understanding ourselves and our reality, what would you argue we have moved away from? Is it a matter of simplicity? Is it spiritual, religious, perhaps even introspective? I'm just curious!
    It's difficult to say without knowing what we're moving towards and what we initially started out as, haha. Having a sense of progression at all is an assumption, in fact. Change is not necessarily progression after all, and measuring change is very difficult to do...there is an argument for measuring change through scientific advancement, but if you look at our history and our behaviour as a species I would cynically point out that very little has changed. There is nothing to say that some things can't stay the same whilst other things change, of course, but even so, an overall sense of things is difficult to ascertain I think.

I think that, again, there is the possibility that understanding is a subconscious and instinctive process, rather than a cognitive, conscious one. Once you begin to question something you previously didn't question, your understanding of that thing, whatever it may be, begins to waver. It's...puzzling. In a way I think as a species we might be trying to move beyond reality, and towards something else. Be that a higher plane of existence (or a lower one if you don't fit the criterion) or our own limitations, I'm not entirely certain. But as our perceptions are limited solely to ourselves, and we are constantly seeking as a species to broaden and redefine our collective perception, I think we might be seeking something beyond the reality we perceive. Maybe.

Hey look IT WAS THE LOGICAL PLACE TO GO WITH THAT. I actually typed it out and then went back and checked myself haha.
    I'm not gonna argue, I'm just glad I wasn't the first one to bring it up! xD

Even so, how would those abiding by such religions even know? Most religious text has not only been translated but also appropriated over time and in different societies and political atmospheres. Even if, for the sake of argument, we assume that God is real and created a certain religion, why would the followers of said religion not be ailed by the same perceptive limits of everyone else; why would they know God, but no one else?
    You'd have to ask someone religious these questions, as in truth I'm not entirely sure. The concept of faith isn't one I'm hugely familiar with, and is one my mind rejects for various reasons. Whilst a lot of religions have changed with the social and political environment, those are the ones that were used as devices for a shared understanding of the world in the past for the most part, much as how scientific theory is used now. I'd have to do some research, but I think a lot of religions, such as Buddhism, haven't changed quite as much to reflect the current mood of society.

Religion is as much about spiritual growth as it is about acknowledgement and celebration of deities - or it should be, anyway - and I think that even if the core texts have changed, the belief systems have generally remained the same. Not sure. I'll do some research. Should have done that before I typed this out, but religion is a very sticky subject anyway and I don't want to offend anyone who might read this. But I think it's the interpretation of religion that has changed, not the concept of religion itself - the teachings, and the meanings behind those, and the ultimate objective of those, has remained the same. It's just observed differently. I realise I'm speaking in ignorance for the most part, but that's the sense I've always had from religion.

Additionally, a lot of people tend to ask: if God is real, where did he come from?
    Well I ask: if God created the world, why would he be limited by its laws of causality? We assume that everything has a beginning and has an end, but that assumption is just another factor limiting our minds. Why should we assume that God would even need a beginning? I'm not trying to argue that God exists. I just find that in terms of speculation, theological or what have you, our limited perception creates a sort of bias. We wonder where God comes from because we assume everything has to come from somewhere. Good luck trying to convince someone otherwise d:

I agree. The idea of God is just a concept, one that many people feel/think differently about. (I'm also not saying that God doesn't exist, just to be clear. I generally avoid those kinds of discussions)
    Pretty much. Everyone will have their own interpretation of the concept, be that as an abstract force or a sentient being. Going back to the idea of shared reality briefly, I do like the idea that when it comes to belief in a deity that we're all looking at the same thing, and that God is just another word for it, much like scientific theory will use concepts like particles and waves to explain how reality works.

I'm an apatheist, so whether or not God exists is something I don't think is of importance to me...my perception of reality allows for the possibility of a deity, much like it does everything else, but I'm not committed to the idea. I prefer not to get involved in religious debate too. But for the purpose of a discussion about reality I think the possibility of the existence of a deity is a relevant tangent I wanted to touch on briefly. xD

It's really hard to even fathom what that would be like. Without a frame of reference, I prefer to tread those waters carefully, if at all. Admittedly when I begin to think about something like this I always end up crying d:

i feel guilty about enjoying this, idk why hahaha
    It's very difficult not to slip into a nihilistic way of thinking when considering stuff like this...but at the same time it's also kinda liberating - if it's down to your own interpretation, you can come out with whatever your mind can make itself believe! Even if you're totally wrong from that phantom objective standpoint, since you're unaware of it...well, there's nothing you can do about it, right?

tl;dr to literally everything I've said and this entire topic in general: IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

probably because this isn't what the topic was supposed to be about and we've dissected it every which way and still have plenty more material left. xD

Echidna

Years
  • tl;dr to literally everything I've said and this entire topic in general: IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

probably because this isn't what the topic was supposed to be about and we've dissected it every which way and still have plenty more material left. xD
    Topic is way too broad, blame OP d:
    I find myself torn between the feeling that this is way too much material for a single topic, and the understanding that this topic is necessarily too complex, mandating the discussion of multiple seemingly tangential and yet constructive threads. I don't think this would work if it were scattered...
    Well, I wouldn't deny that there could be a difference, but I do wonder. I'm not entirely sure what a "complete" perception of reality would entail, honestly! I think we'd be entering the realm of omniscience, and that creates all sorts of messy tangents as to whether things will happen in a set way or not, whether there are infinite possibilities beyond what we can perceive, and what reality actually IS. What are we even trying to perceive here? It's probably safe to say that there is a difference, as all we can recognise is what we perceive, and as we all perceive different things...well, unless you're a solipsist, that implies an incomplete perception of reality straight away, as no two realities between individuals are exactly alike...presumably. There's an assumption in there that nobody is pondering what I am pondering. xD
    I borderline detest solipsism, but I'll admit that it's an important perspective to keep in mind. Oddly enough, I feel as though we've naturally progressed into that realm during this conversation. One could hardly argue against the existence of their own mind, which I've found as the unfortunate conclusion to every existential crisis. From my perspective, how could I be sure that you exist? How could you be sure that I do? In that sense, how would you define "existence"? What's worse is when you call into question your own existence, arguing against an intrinsic part of your own self: your memories. As you said later on in your post, we all have a baseline of thoughts that we simply accept and never think to question. One of those, I believe, is the past. We take it for granted, but how sure are we that it actually exists? The five-minute hypothesis (something else I detest for much the same reasons) is baffling and yet somehow plausible in its mind-fuckery.

Additionally, I'd compare - at least in this instance - acquiring complete understanding of the universe to acquiring your own memories. Clarity is next to impossible, and at best you find yourself with a foggy notion of what might be the truth. I'll admit that none of this is certain; for all we know we might simply be missing one singular key that'll unlock the mystery of reality. Alternatively, we could be missing an infinite number of keys, one new mystery for each one solved. Just as memories are distorted the more you attempt to recall them, reality may become more and more distant, more and more complex, more and more unattainable in its ever-elusive expansion with every step we take towards it. We discover, and by doing so we open doors to new discoveries. Will it ever end? I say this because "completion" isn't more than a concept, and another one we take for granted at that. In this example, would you define a complete understanding of the universe as a functional grasp of its laws, or as a holistic view of its past, present, and future? Better yet, could completion come from within the universe, or must we step outside of it?

As a rule, our species limits itself with its own concepts. How many times have you heard someone ask questions loosely in the following format: "Where did the universe come from? Where did that come from? Where did that come from?" Our belief in causality - our insistence that everything has a beginning - effectively shuts down what little advantages our cognitive minds offer us. We've been talking about the limits of perception, but what of the limits of our minds themselves? If you ask me, we think we're all that, but we really aren't. I'd argue that completion, perfection, causation, existence, understanding, even thought itself, are all concepts floating in the shallow waters of our minds. To stubbornly cuff ourselves to our own developmental - or perhaps inherently cognitive - concepts is to deny ourselves the very chance at higher being. Maybe.

Look, who really knows d: Might just be that reality is real and whatever. And just because I'm a damn nerd, here's some Agent Smith wisdom for ya!
    Why keep fighting?
    Do you believe you're fighting for something?
    For more than your survival?
    Can you tell me what it is?
    Do you even know?
    Is it freedom or truth?
    Perhaps peace? Could it be for love?
    Illusions, Mr. Anderson.
    Vagaries of perception.
    Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. All of them as artificial as the Matrix itself.
    Although, only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love.
    Aaah, interesting you bring that up! Isn't our whole basis for communicating this insufficient? I mean, words are a very diverse and complex tool for communication, but also very limited because of that. Being precise with words is an incredibly difficult and time-consuming task...hence why this is getting longer and longer, haha.

That's kinda going back to your earlier example about not being able to describe the colour orange if you don't perceive it. We can't describe our reality (or an external reality) to someone else with words even with that baseline, because it's not something they can perceive. Words allow for an approximation of understanding, but not a complete one. One of us could have a perfect understanding of reality, but we would never be able to fully explain that to others due to our limited ability to communicate.

tl;dr We can dance around the same point all day and even if we agree we'll come away with completely different interpretations of that point, both real to us, but neither necessarily real from that phantom objective viewpoint we're striving to reach. Diversity is such fun.
    I think we're in agreement that communication is a major hindrance. And yes, as you stated a while back, objectivity is an illusion. I wonder, however, if that's a byproduct of an intrinsic deficiency in words/communication, or if it's the result of contradicting/nonparallel perception. Both, perhaps?

Personally, I'm of the viewpoint that anything can be communicated if one is well-versed in the art of doing so. And before you say it xD, yes, that would necessitate that perceived reality be taken at face value. It'd also require the assumption that two people share a perceived reality. Then again, wouldn't that make it a matter of perception rather than communication? If perception could be equalized or shared, then, mutatis mutandis, would communication become more effective, perhaps even optimal? If you and I, in this instant, definitively and to our knowledge shared a common perceived reality, would we feel more comfortable in simply accepting any conclusions we come to, especially if said communication was clear and exact? I don't know...
    Ah, I see...although I wonder. People generally take an observable majority as objective truth, if they didn't then scientific theory, religious practices, and even social structure wouldn't function. But this idea of instinct, and that we KNOW some things on a basic level and will do them without even thinking, leads me to wonder if that could apply to existential thinking as well.

I mean, these thoughts have to come from somewhere, don't they? Is it possible that they carry more merit than we might suppose, given that these are things that repeatedly crop up in society in general? Is it all in our heads, so to speak, or does it have an application outside of being a construct we use to perceive the world around us? Sure, there are a lot of contradictions between pretty much every school of thought out there, but there is no reason that everything can't be correct, and the interpretation of reality doesn't matter as long as you are perceiving the same things. Maybe observation and acknowledgement is enough? Just understanding that something is there beyond yourself?
    I suppose those thoughts could be useful if properly utilized. Actually, you're right. Now that you mention it, it does seem preposterous to assume that we could think about anything really without the foundations of our perception & cognition. I'd offer up a counter argument though, one that I made earlier, those foundations could also do the exact opposite. On the most basic level, for example, the "objective" observation that everything has a beginning has proven quite useful in fields such as psychology and biology. However, if we're still questioning science as simply another perceptive illusion, what does that even mean? Then again, once we've moved up a few playing fields, that very same concept works against us. Trying to figure out where everything comes from is incredibly counterproductive in a plain where otherworldly concepts we've yet to imagine could disprove that very notion we stubbornly cling to.

Another example could be the idea of "evidence" or empirical data. In practice, the concept of evidence has served us very well. In theory, it could limit us on the stage of metaphysics. Who's to say whether or not we'll ever find concrete evidence about the true nature of reality? If we did, wouldn't that very evidence have to exist within the confines of our perceived reality, and thus limit its own effectiveness in furthering our understanding of actual reality? It's akin to a being existing in two dimensions trying to study the third. Likewise, for example, how would we gather three-dimensional evidence of a four-dimensional subject? Does our obsession with evidence not limit the possibility of otherwise philosophical pondering about the nature of the world? Isn't philosophy more-or-less ridiculed because of this belief?
    I feel like I should have something to add to this, but I think I pretty much agree with that, haha. To even have a conversation like this - or even co-exist in a social structure - our thinking has to rest on a hell of a lot of assumptions, and we have to take certain things in without even considering them....lots and lots of things that are actually really hard to think about because I'm so used to NOT thinking about them.
    Ok so we agree to agree to agree? hahaha
    But then, I wonder if these things that we don't acknowledge because we don't feel the need to, or because we don't even consider it, are what could be considered "true" reality, and our shared understanding of that is why we don't need to communicate it. Even if we perceive it differently, and react to it differently. Understanding does not have to be a conscious process, after all...in fact, given the number of directions our thoughts can take, and the contradictions we can find in things that are apparently very simple, one could argue that conscious understanding is actually impossible, due to our need for things to make sense in a way our minds can put into thoughts...or worse, words.
    I think we can definitely share an understanding of some things without sharing an entire reality! Hell, if that wasn't possible, I can't imagine the state of society. Then again, everything outside of your own mind might be an illusion... so d:

As for whether the things we don't discuss/take for granted are the actual reality we share, I would say I believe so. The problem with that, however, is that we still might perceive those things differently, like you said. I don't know what that means in terms of understanding each other, but I would borrow some elements from sociology's symbolic interactionism: maybe it's not the thing itself that matters; maybe it's the meaning we assign to it that matters. If we look at it that way, then maybe we can agree that sharing perception isn't necessary to share understanding?
    It's difficult to say without knowing what we're moving towards and what we initially started out as, haha. Having a sense of progression at all is an assumption, in fact. Change is not necessarily progression after all, and measuring change is very difficult to do...there is an argument for measuring change through scientific advancement, but if you look at our history and our behaviour as a species I would cynically point out that very little has changed. There is nothing to say that some things can't stay the same whilst other things change, of course, but even so, an overall sense of things is difficult to ascertain I think.

I think that, again, there is the possibility that understanding is a subconscious and instinctive process, rather than a cognitive, conscious one. Once you begin to question something you previously didn't question, your understanding of that thing, whatever it may be, begins to waver. It's...puzzling. In a way I think as a species we might be trying to move beyond reality, and towards something else. Be that a higher plane of existence (or a lower one if you don't fit the criterion) or our own limitations, I'm not entirely certain. But as our perceptions are limited solely to ourselves, and we are constantly seeking as a species to broaden and redefine our collective perception, I think we might be seeking something beyond the reality we perceive. Maybe.
    Oh god. Alright, just for the sake of not turning this into a discussion about humanity (like we need something else to talk about), I'll just say that I agree with you. Measuring change is subjective, especially when it's not technological. Some would say that we've advanced from savages with club weapons to savages in suits with the propensity and potential to harm even more people! I wonder who would say that, oh right it's me...

I'm not sure I agree with you're other point, though. I mean, as you say, it's a possibility, but in my opinion not a likely one. I think we're more likely to have advanced more towards understanding reality than away from it, if only because of our exponential cognitive development. Maybe scientific advancements don't aid us in this field, but our expanded ability to ponder the things we do (something likely due to mass media consumption if I'm being honest) probably does.
    You'd have to ask someone religious these questions, as in truth I'm not entirely sure. The concept of faith isn't one I'm hugely familiar with, and is one my mind rejects for various reasons. Whilst a lot of religions have changed with the social and political environment, those are the ones that were used as devices for a shared understanding of the world in the past for the most part, much as how scientific theory is used now. I'd have to do some research, but I think a lot of religions, such as Buddhism, haven't changed quite as much to reflect the current mood of society.

Religion is as much about spiritual growth as it is about acknowledgement and celebration of deities - or it should be, anyway - and I think that even if the core texts have changed, the belief systems have generally remained the same. Not sure. I'll do some research. Should have done that before I typed this out, but religion is a very sticky subject anyway and I don't want to offend anyone who might read this. But I think it's the interpretation of religion that has changed, not the concept of religion itself - the teachings, and the meanings behind those, and the ultimate objective of those, has remained the same. It's just observed differently. I realise I'm speaking in ignorance for the most part, but that's the sense I've always had from religion.

Pretty much. Everyone will have their own interpretation of the concept, be that as an abstract force or a sentient being. Going back to the idea of shared reality briefly, I do like the idea that when it comes to belief in a deity that we're all looking at the same thing, and that God is just another word for it, much like scientific theory will use concepts like particles and waves to explain how reality works.

I'm an apatheist, so whether or not God exists is something I don't think is of importance to me...my perception of reality allows for the possibility of a deity, much like it does everything else, but I'm not committed to the idea. I prefer not to get involved in religious debate too. But for the purpose of a discussion about reality I think the possibility of the existence of a deity is a relevant tangent I wanted to touch on briefly. xD
    <snip><snip><snip>
    Probably best to avoid talking about it then?
    It's very difficult not to slip into a nihilistic way of thinking when considering stuff like this...but at the same time it's also kinda liberating - if it's down to your own interpretation, you can come out with whatever your mind can make itself believe! Even if you're totally wrong from that phantom objective standpoint, since you're unaware of it...well, there's nothing you can do about it, right?

tl;dr to literally everything I've said and this entire topic in general: IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've avoided this topic, even checked myself whenever it came near hahaha. When I said I hate solipsism it's because I fell into that trap A LOT. Even when I was a kid I would think "maybe I'm just a brain in a jar hooked up to something and nothing else is real... I'll literally never know". I was a weird kid d:

i don't even care, i still feel this is constructive... somehow

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • As was said above, Occam's razor applies. To me the straightforward answer is that there is no God, there is no simulation, there is no afterlife, and life has no inherent meaning. Whether that's a nice answer is up for debate (personally I'm not sure how I feel about an eternal afterlife, could be dull), but that's how I feel about it.

SunsetGreen

Banned
    Years
  • welli don't think that it's some kind of simulation, we just live nother life in another body, it's a life cycle

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    How we view life isn't how it actually is. Our own minds tint the world to something else that we can perceive.

I don't believe in nonsense of us being a computer program or some bad sci-fi concepts like that, but I do believe we can only view life through our own lenses, as humans; and even then, it's rarely ever the same.

Back