• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your opinion on quests in Pokémon?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Pokémon Legends: Arceus introduced a lot quests to the series that made Pokémon feel more like a modern day RPG. What is your opinion on this? To be honest, I believe too many of these quests can make Pokémon feel more grindy, but a good balance of them does add more content and make the games more fun.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Online now
Maybe a few here and there. Becomes tedious with too many. Considers the one in Johto about feeding berries to sick Miltanks to be good. Prefers to avoid "catch this for stuff", barring specific rewards (see: Sun/Moon's Alolan Raichu for an Aloraichium Z) or for rare encounters you would otherwise be unaware of.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
A lot of games have quests, even if they aren't openly presented like that.

Pokémon SV for example. There are Dex completion tasks, which give the players different rewards as they catch more Pokémon. There are also the Academy quests with the exams and the different teachers, and the "defeat all trainers in X area to win certain items or TMs"

Quests are a good thing in RPG games as long as there's enough variety and they're integrated properly into the game flow, so they can be more or less completed naturally without grinding something specifically for them. Quests are a problem when it causes a game being filled with lots of generic repetitive missions that expect players to do the same things over and over again, like the typical uninspired "defeat 50 bears" kind of quests which get boring to do very quick.

Years
Legends could've used more variety in them. The vast majority were just the generic fetch quest of 'go find and catch Pokemon x' or 'fetch me item Y'.
I haven't finished Legends yet, but I don't recall any memorable quests.

Outside of Legends...
The Ditto 5 from USUM comes to mind as a Side quest of sorts that was fun and unusual to me.
The Alolan Diglet scavenger hunt in IoA was a nuisance and on the other end of why I remember it =P

Years
Too many can be exhausting and take me out of the game. I do like quests as they give me more to do but not so many that I'm drowning in them, at that point seeing all the quest icons on my quest list will drive me slightly mad because I would want to clear it out haha. Legends had an okay amount and I liked how most of them weren't particularly hard but I do agree with ReKoil that they were too samey.

Bonus points to adding quests if they unlock certain neat things, like items or new Pokémon 👍

Back