• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst sets you have ever seen while laddering

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • Last night, I ran into a Gyarados while playing doubles. Sure, it's a common Pokemon thanks to Intimidate and that, but it got even more hilarious when it had Scald, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt and Blizzard, and it turned out trying to burn it didn't work. It failed hilariously because Gyarados isn't even designed to be a special attacker. The funny thing was, it was paired up with a Mimikyu, that had Charge Beam. Dude, Mimikyu doesn't do well as a special attacker...

Sirfetch’d

Yesterday I ran into some ladder cancer trying to use stockpile Toxapex and Z stockpile Snorlax.

Years
  • Yesterday I ran into some ladder cancer trying to use stockpile Toxapex and Z stockpile Snorlax.

4kx4zo.jpg

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I told someone not to run Blizzard on Greninja (after it missed twice) and that Ice Beam was better, and they proceeded to show off their Ice Beam and Thunderbolt Alolan Marowak.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2018
    Dragon Dance + 3 special moves Haxorus
    GeoXern with 3 physical attacks
    Magikarp
    Feebas
    Choice Specs + Nasty Plot mons
    Regular Charizard with 3 dragon-type moves
    Nasty Plot/Sucker Punch/Dark Void/Substitute Darkrai

And many more... they're just trying to play after all, pokemon isn't that serious of a game anyway

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2017
    ambipom.gif

Ambipom @ Life Orb
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Last Resort

in this case, both the Pokemon and the moveset are total garbage.

It's not necessarily bad as long as it's a good matchup. But yeah, it's pretty much trash against resisting types.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2018
    Me playing AG, I lead with Mamoswine, he leads with Arceus-Steel. Expecting a Stealth Rock, Will-o-Wisp, or maybe just a STAB move, but this happened instead:

The opposing Arceus used Blast Burn!
    It's super effective! Mamoswine lost 66.5% of its health!
    Mamoswine used Earthquake!
    It's super effective! A critical hit! The opposing Arceus lost 100% of its health!
    The opposing Arceus fainted!

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2018
    Not really a "worst set", BUT I think it's worth sharing.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-588511177

and this

Spoiler:

Years
  • There are many stupid things I've seen. Especially Darkrai without Bad Dreams and including Dark Void. Night Shade would do good with Darkrai provided it has its stats raised appropriately in order to make a clean sweep of the opponent. In short here is one.

Darkrai (without Bad Dreams) - Dark Void, Psychic, Sleep Talk, Dream Eater.

Bro, without Bad Dreams, how can you expect to create optimum damage with Dream Eater. Anyways Dream Eater is a useless move in itself, provided the opponent is asleep. But I keep it with Bad Dreams always, never without it. And the only general damage attack you have is Psychic. Plus with Darkrai I doubt how much it can affect others except Fighting types which ARE weak to psychic. In short, even though its not too bad, it is an under-use of Darkrai. I use Black Glasses with Darkrai. Bad Dreams as ability. Dark Void, Dream Eater, Night Shade and Calm Mind.

Second shit - Smeargle (Leftovers) - Spore, Substitute, Sketch, Disable.

I mean seriously? Sleep Talk instead of Sketch and a damaging move instead of Disable. Or maybe Sword's Dance behind Substitute every time until you use Baton Pass in place of Disable (or attack yourself with a good move).

Sirfetch’d

I don't know why but special charizard x is super common on the low ladder featuring Red avatars.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I used this ugly set:

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Screech
    - Substitute
    - Toxic

My idea was to sacrifice damage (Groundium Z) for more speed.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Just experienced the most odd Greninja set I've ever seen.

Greninja @ Assault Vest
    -Dark Pulse
    -Scald
    -Water Shuriken
    -Night Slash

Not to forget my Mandibuzz w/ uninvested speed and neutral nature for speed outsped the -1 speed Gren

It was something

Years
  • Ran into two Calm Mind Arceus-Normal with no coverage move and hopelessly weak Judgments that still managed to 6-0 me through the element of surprise ~_~

I hate it so much when a team is so bad that it beats you, because you don't bother planning for a team that terrible and thus have nothing that defends against it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The first battle I did, lost to a Gliscor. So I put one on my team, but with soft sand instead of toxic orb. Eventually got called out on it

Back