• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Laptop Troubles

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
  • Not even 1 month after replacing my hard drive for my laptop, my screen breaks. Probably something of my own doing, but this is ridiculous! I don't even have the words to say how pissed off I am.

Right now I am using an HDMI cord to see what I am typing. The question is, should I order a new screen for this piece of **** acer, Or should I just stick with my HDMI cord and buy a new laptop next year? I see a lot of pros and cons with both options but which one is ultimately the greater decision? One thing I know is I am never going to buy a Acer Laptop that turned out to be refurbished from best buy on boxing day again.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If I were you, I'd just buy the new screen. The good thing about this is that you don't have to wait until next year to get a new laptop. The bad thing (and I'm not too sure on this one) is that further damage might be caused to your current laptop.

Years
  • Not even 1 month after replacing my hard drive for my laptop, my screen breaks. Probably something of my own doing, but this is ridiculous! I don't even have the words to say how pissed off I am.

Right now I am using an HDMI cord to see what I am typing. The question is, should I order a new screen for this piece of **** acer, Or should I just stick with my HDMI cord and buy a new laptop next year? I see a lot of pros and cons with both options but which one is ultimately the greater decision? One thing I know is I am never going to buy a Acer Laptop that turned out to be refurbished from best buy on boxing day again.
    1. What are the specs?
    2. Acers are responsible for 20% of suicides in the northern hemisphere*.

You'd need to see what's actually wrong with the screen, because if it's not damage based, then you may still have some luck with warranty.

*Not actually a real statistic.

Last edited:

Aljam

Years
  • If I were you, I'd just buy the new screen. The good thing about this is that you don't have to wait until next year to get a new laptop. The bad thing (and I'm not too sure on this one) is that further damage might be caused to your current laptop.

You are probably most likely right, as I am Cursed to have old technology, If I ever try and get something good it like instantly screws up. (not always) And besides, it is my very first laptop, I gotta keep him alive! (it's like my very first guitar, theres a special bond even though he is an Acer)

you can consider to get a new screen,my friend get this 23" Dell UltraSharp,it works great for playing games

When I say new screen, I mean the screen for my laptop. It must have the exact same specifications or else there would be compatability issues. And that was a link to a monitor (which I don't need cause my 55" TV does the job :D)

1. What are the specs?
    2. Acers are responsible for 20% of suicides in the northern hemisphere*.

You'd need to see what's actually wrong with the screen, because if it's not damage based, then you may still have some luck with warranty.

*Not actually a real statistic.

I know it's damage based, as the screen is cracked and all of its little LEDs are in pain.

Specs:

• 4GB RAM
    • 500GB HDD (replaced only 2 weeks ago)
    • AMD Turion ZM-84
    • ATI Radeon HD3200
    • Virtual (fake piece of ****) Surround sound
    • 17.3" Screen
    And I doubt the warranty is still available as those warranties don't let you touch the inside of your computer or else the warranty is void. Also any damage done to your computer that isn't a manufacturing error leaves your warranty void. That is the main reason I didn't pay for a 3 year extended warranty for $200 at best buy because the warranty costs more than the actual screen. I got the screen manufacturer ID for the screen by searching for the exact model online, I just need to know if it is Left or right. The funny thing about my hard drive though is that I believe that is still under warranty and I can get another HDD for my laptop (I didn't send the smart errored hdd to seagate and that is under warrenty because they actually have an f'n good warranty unlike Acer)

Also, I was almost part of that demographic

Last edited:
    Years
  • You are probably most likely right, as I am Cursed to have old technology, If I ever try and get something good it like instantly screws up. (not always) And besides, it is my very first laptop, I gotta keep him alive! (it's like my very first guitar, theres a special bond even though he is an Acer)

When I say new screen, I mean the screen for my laptop. It must have the exact same specifications or else there would be compatability issues. And that was a link to a monitor (which I don't need cause my 55" TV does the job :D)

I know it's damage based, as the screen is cracked and all of its little LEDs are in pain.

Specs:

• 4GB RAM
    • 500GB HDD (replaced only 2 weeks ago)
    • AMD Turion ZM-84
    • ATI Radeon HD3200
    • Virtual (fake piece of ****) Surround sound
    • 17.3" Screen
    And I doubt the warranty is still available as those warranties don't let you touch the inside of your computer or else the warranty is void. Also any damage done to your computer that isn't a manufacturing error leaves your warranty void. That is the main reason I didn't pay for a 3 year extended warranty for $200 at best buy because the warranty costs more than the actual screen. I got the screen manufacturer ID for the screen by searching for the exact model online, I just need to know if it is Left or right. The funny thing about my hard drive though is that I believe that is still under warranty and I can get another HDD for my laptop (I didn't send the smart errored hdd to seagate and that is under warrenty because they actually have an f'n good warranty unlike Acer)

Also, I was almost part of that demographic
    If the graphics were a little better, then I'd suggest hanging on to it. Nevertheless, it's not that bad. It depends on what the screen is going to set you back and if you feel comfortable replacing the screen yourself. Keep in mind a 17" panel is not going to be cheap.

What are you mainly using it for? Because it's obviously large, so it's not the sort of thing you'd use at school, but in the same way, it's not super-gutsy in the GPU department.

Years
  • What are you mainly using it for? Because it's obviously large, so it's not the sort of thing you'd use at school, but in the same way, it's not super-gutsy in the GPU department.

Most American colleges/universities have large surfaces in their lecture halls for their students, at least from what I've heard from my peers. Though I don't know where the OP's from, I can easily fit my 17" Sony Vaio on the surface in front of me in most lecture halls I've been in.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • My take, use the external screen and save your money for a newer computer, preferably one that has better build quality and customer support. (also if you spring for the Black Tie warranty extension from Geek Squad, any damage within the warranty period will be repaired or replaced, no questions asked.)

Aljam

Years
  • If the graphics were a little better, then I'd suggest hanging on to it. Nevertheless, it's not that bad. It depends on what the screen is going to set you back and if you feel comfortable replacing the screen yourself. Keep in mind a 17" panel is not going to be cheap.

What are you mainly using it for? Because it's obviously large, so it's not the sort of thing you'd use at school, but in the same way, it's not super-gutsy in the GPU department.

Only got this laptop cause it was the best deal in best buy at the time. Also got it for the full keyboard and it's HDD space, but I mostly got it for the price.

I've been basically using it as a computer for school. I don't need a screen right now as I don't have any courses that need a computer, but in my next semester I have Programming, Engineering, and Web Design all those classes I don't necessary need my computer, but my school's computers are complete ****. (Just to tell you about them they are mostly old IBMs from '02) I guess I could just jack the monitor cord out from those computers and use it for mine, but those old school monitors hurt my eyes. Next year when I go to college, I will be finally getting money back tha my mom owes me from taking birthday money to me from my grandparents before I was 9. (so roughly $1600 all together)

I've also scoured the net and found my exact screen for a cheap price ( I may have already stated this) compared to other prices I've seen. ( I wasn't going to pay >200 for a panel)

Only thing I am having trouble with my model is that I can't find where the screw covers are to open it up.

Though my GPU isn't gutsy, at least it's better than an intel chipset, as my friend got a laptop thinking it had a good card (sales person said it had an ATI in it) but all it actually had was a chipset.

Most American colleges/universities have large surfaces in their lecture halls for their students, at least from what I've heard from my peers. Though I don't know where the OP's from, I can easily fit my 17" Sony Vaio on the surface in front of me in most lecture halls I've been in.

I've actually been in one of my possible college's lecture halls and though they are kind of small, they could fit my beast of a laptop.

My take, use the external screen and save your money for a newer computer, preferably one that has better build quality and customer support. (also if you spring for the Black Tie warranty extension from Geek Squad, any damage within the warranty period will be repaired or replaced, no questions asked.)

Now I am ****ing pissed! I wish I wasn't as cheap when I bought it. (I also wished I hadn't lost the receipt for my laptop the day after I got it as I probably had some sort of warrenty I could've looked upon)

I got this warranty for my HDD so I don't have to deal with any problems with that for a couple of years.

Only problem with using this external screen is that hockey season is approaching, and my parents want to watch hockey and stuff, and my old CRT monitor just plain hurts my eyes after an hour of use.

Years
  • Only got this laptop cause it was the best deal in best buy at the time. Also got it for the full keyboard and it's HDD space, but I mostly got it for the price.

I've been basically using it as a computer for school. I don't need a screen right now as I don't have any courses that need a computer, but in my next semester I have Programming, Engineering, and Web Design all those classes I don't necessary need my computer, but my school's computers are complete ****. (Just to tell you about them they are mostly old IBMs from '02) I guess I could just jack the monitor cord out from those computers and use it for mine, but those old school monitors hurt my eyes. Next year when I go to college, I will be finally getting money back tha my mom owes me from taking birthday money to me from my grandparents before I was 9. (so roughly $1600 all together)

I've also scoured the net and found my exact screen for a cheap price ( I may have already stated this) compared to other prices I've seen. ( I wasn't going to pay >200 for a panel)

Only thing I am having trouble with my model is that I can't find where the screw covers are to open it up.

Though my GPU isn't gutsy, at least it's better than an intel chipset, as my friend got a laptop thinking it had a good card (sales person said it had an ATI in it) but all it actually had was a chipset.

I've actually been in one of my possible college's lecture halls and though they are kind of small, they could fit my beast of a laptop.

Now I am ****ing pissed! I wish I wasn't as cheap when I bought it. (I also wished I hadn't lost the receipt for my laptop the day after I got it as I probably had some sort of warrenty I could've looked upon)

I got this warranty for my HDD so I don't have to deal with any problems with that for a couple of years.

Only problem with using this external screen is that hockey season is approaching, and my parents want to watch hockey and stuff, and my old CRT monitor just plain hurts my eyes after an hour of use.
    Seriously, though. A small laptop makes all the difference. The difference between my 14.1" fat HP Pavilion and my 13.3" Macbook Pro is chalk and cheese. I can slip it into a backpack with ease and it sits perfectly on my lap; I prefer to sit it on my lap in a lecture hall, as it's comfier and doesn't get in my or anyone's view of the front.

Back