• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames for Pokemon

Years
  • Here are some nicknames for Pokemon that I like. Some have no explanation, other than me liking the name.

Gliscor: Alucard (Its design is somewhat based around Vampires, along with Bats and Scorpions.)
    Typhlosion: Sidney (It just seems to fit.)
    Mudsdale: Bojack (Based off the show Bojack Horseman.)
    Roserade: Tango (Because in many forms of media, Tango dancers are sometimes depicted holding roses in their mouths.)
    Porygon-Z: Anomaly (An anomaly is something that is abnormal. Porygon-Z is based on the idea that the Dubious Disc, filled with malicious software, corrupted Porygon2 and it had caused major errors.)
    Exploud: Super Bass (DON'T YOU HEAR THAT BOOM BADOOM BOOM BOOM BADOOM BOOM BASS! Haha, I hate myself.)
    Swellow: But Does She (I have quite the mind, don't I?)
    Kartana: Papercut (It's a Pokemon with a paper-like body that also has swords for hands. What else would you name it?)
    Zebstrika: Haywire (Horses eat hay, electrical wires, it just makes sense.)
    Bisharp: Voorhees (It fits too well.)

Years
  • I'll list a few of mine :)

Swampert: Muddy (It's traditional since my first ever Mudkip was named Muddy and I loved him, haha)
    Incineroar: The Undertaker, and more recently Achilles (heel pokemon, anyone? {XD})
    Gligar: Sugar Gligar (bc sugar glider and I thought it was clever)
    Garchomp: Kalahari (a desert, and it's SOS'd in the desert) and Ramses (ancient pharoah)
    Marowak: Steven Hyde (due to the whole orphan backstory of Cubone and I love That 70's Show)
    Toxapex: Steven Hide (because it looks like it's hiding and why not have two Stevens)
    A-Muk: Fat Tuesday (the recent games won't let me use the name Mardi Gras, so I decided to use its translation as Alolan Muk has the colors of Mardi Gras)

I'll edit in more if I remember any, but those are my favorites :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Here are some of the nicknames I made in Pokemon Mega Power
    Sableye: Bejeweled
    Ribombee: Lemons
    Pyroar: Alpha
    Simisage: The Plug
    Goodra: Gooey (Yeah unoriginal right?)
    Tentacruel: Kamikaze

Some others I remember naming from when I played Gen III..
    Jolteon: Jolly-Jolt
    Swampert: Muddy
    Charizard: Commander
    Goldeen: Goldfins (It was a shiny)
    Doduo: Doritos
    Magcargo: Caliente

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Mine are uncreative and I usually just nickname based on how they look.

Gengar gets nicknamed "Scary"

Pidgeot gets nicknamed "Birdy"

Sharpedo gets nicknamed "Teeth"

Etc...

Years
  • you guys can talk about nicknames generally btw, nicknames exist in the anime etc also so feel free to think of what names you'd give your mons if you existed in the pokeworld =)

I'd probably name mine after food, both in the games and series itself. Especially berries & desserts since it's cute lol. Names like Lemon, Blueberry, Brownie, and so on. Or cute matching names if they're Pokémon from the same family or meant to match, like Nidoran or Volbeat and Illumise. Fa and La for two Meowstic just came to me and tbh is super cute.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I generally prefer to give my Pokémon names that I could imagine people having while trying to link the names to their designs or types, though there are some exceptions. Here are just a few from my assortment (in no particular order):

Persian (male): Jasper a red gem like that on Persian's head
    Glaceon (male): Endymion a beautiful male
    Wartortle: Torrin derived from its Torrent ability (though it technically means "bird")
    A-Sandslash: Tahki Native American name meaning "cold"
    Sneasel: Talon claw
    Shiny Lickitung (male): Meric from turmeric (a yellow spice used in curry), but pronounced like Marik
    Beedrill: Javelin a type of spear (works for either gender, but I prefer it as a female name)
    Flareon: Chipotle a smoke-dried chili pepper
    Shiny Misdreavus (female): Alchemy (Kimmy for short) a practice associated with gold (referencing Misdreavus' old Shiny colors) that borders science and sorcery

Last edited:
    Years
  • On my Pokemon Blue cartridge, I nicknamed my whole six Pokemon team. I gave them personalities too, so it's fun.

Venusaur is named Chase. He's the tough guy in the bunch
    Rapidash is named Sally. She's sort of vain like a princess
    Sandslash is named Becky. She's a rough tomboy
    Butterfree is named Penny. She's the bookworm/smart one
    Raichu is named Martha. She's the over-protective big momma
    Vaporeon is named Jelly. He's the gay one and proudly FABULOUS!

Now you know. I'm proud of my Pokes.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Depends on what theme I want my team to have if I'm doing a naming theme at all. Sometimes it's food, or people that reminds me of that Pokemon, random names, or names from characters in series that I'm fond of. One set of names that I was particularly fond of my was Shiny Water Team named after Ace Attorney characters on X.

Years
  • I always go with themes if I'm playing the games (using exclusively the Hawaiian alphabet in Alola, using French words/names in Kalos, etc.), but I don't know what kind of nicknames I'd give my Pokemon in a more real-life situation. I'd definitely name them though, because having a Pikachu named Pikachu is no better than having a dog named Dog.

string555

Banned
    Years
  • Here's the ones I can remember off the top of my head:

Sin (Gengar male) - That's the name I gave it back when I was using that username years ago, it also has a fittingly evil sound to it. :3

Vika (Froslass female) - Named after a Ukrainian girl. :3

Bansha (Banette female) - Chosen based off of 'Banette', and because it sounds like a Slavik girl's name, I'm just hoping it's not a real word that means something bad. :X

RaidIsMRDR (Shedinja) - 'Raid Is Murder', as in Raid like bug spray, and it's essentially a dead bug, ya? :P

Gremlin (Sableye male or female) - Looks quite like a gremlin, so yeah...

Gaara or Sandra (Palossand male or female) - Gaara from Naruto if male, Sandra if female for obvious reasons. :D

Goodyear (Drifblim) Goodyear blimp, lol...

Cuddlez (Mimikyu male or female) - 'Cause it's so cuddly... :3

Pain (Spiritomb) - Because it always seemed like a pain to beat Cynthia's Spiritomb in Platinum, and also named after the Pain from Naruto.

Tiki (Alolan Marowak) - Should be pretty obvious...

Mr. Greenz (Trevenant male) - Horribly uncreative, lol.

Back