• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    That's kinda neat. lol ^^;;

PM'd you :3

And as for the 'nuzzle' problem... I think many (PMD) RPs lately have revolved around romance and hence the nuzzling xD

And a heads up. If I get a proposition through, changes will occur in the Roleplay Corner again soon. It's got to do with this recent discussion about: short posts - fast, lively RP vs long posts - slow, literate RP.

Years
  • PM'd you :3

And as for the 'nuzzle' problem... I think many (PMD) RPs lately have revolved around romance and hence the nuzzling xD

And a heads up. If I get a proposition through, changes will occur in the Roleplay Corner again soon. It's got to do with this recent discussion about: short posts - fast, lively RP vs long posts - slow, literate RP.

What change(s) did you proposed and to who? Is it the higher staff?

That'll be good to increase our standards of roleplaying. Many view roleplaying as a leisure activity or game but it's actually like story-writing but in the form of a gameplay mode with other "co-author". I think it's time we step up to improve the levels of PC users' English.

I see numerous RPs attaining 3 pages in less than a day, that's just too fast like mayhem. And if you read, you'll properly peel your eyes out at the poorly-written erratic posts. I actually thought those were the works of kindergärtners! >_<"

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    What change(s) did you proposed and to who? Is it the higher staff?

That'll be good to increase our standards of roleplaying. Many view roleplaying as a leisure activity or game but it's actually like story-writing but in the form of a gameplay mode with other "co-author". I think it's time we step up to improve the levels of PC users' English.

I see numerous RPs attaining 3 pages in less than a day, that's just too fast like mayhem. And if you read, you'll properly peel your eyes out at the poorly-written erratic posts. I actually thought those were the works of kindergärtners! >_<"

Well, don't bash too hard now. I can see the charm and fun in writing short posts with other players. Actually a fast moving RP like that can be more fun in several ways, and apparently there is a demand for those here, or I wouldn't have to infract people constantly... :,( I feel evil. /corner

But posts shorter than one full (meaning 3-4 lines) paragraph won't ever be tolerated in in-character posts on PC, I've been told from above. It's to keep some form of standard.

The plan will reveal itself soon enough, if parallelzero thinks it's a good enough idea.

Years
  • Well, don't bash too hard now. I can see the charm and fun in writing short posts with other players. Actually a fast moving RP like that can be more fun in several ways, and apparently there is a demand for those here, or I wouldn't have to infract people constantly... :,( I feel evil. /corner

But posts shorter than one full (meaning 3-4 lines) paragraph won't ever be tolerated in in-character posts on PC, I've been told from above. It's to keep some form of standard.

The plan will reveal itself soon enough, if parallelzero thinks it's a good enough idea.
    Yeah, ok I won't be so harsh now. But yeah, small paragraphs are acceptable. I was just angry at those people who constantly do one-liners even though we've already stated not to time and time again. it's like they don't read the rules the first time they are here and I find it very unbelievable.

So, I'll just let the thing take its course and in the meantime happily roleplay. :P

Aura.Lucario

The Rivers will run red....
    Years
  • if there's a competition between fast-paced RPs with short posts and slow-paced RPs with Long posts (like RHCP suggested), slow-paced ones often win by their quality, but they often have a low amount of views (which, disappoints me xD). Fast-paced RPs seem to have a lot of views. Maybe it's because of their amount of replies and posts.

Eternal Nightmare is going to be a slow-paced RP, RHCP&Dia, so don't worry :)

(oh great I'm advertising my own RP now)

I hope I have more views :) (it gives me courage and energy to carry on lol)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Sure, more views can make you feel good... but it's like you say, people check in often and type a few lines up and then they go. And then they check again, type a few lines up and so on.

And slow paced isn't always good xD It's just they way RPs seem to turn out if the GM demands longer posts. It's not on purpose, at least not in my RPs.

Gosh, I've tested out several styles of RPing so far and not many have been successful xD But I'm still learning so I think it's ok to fail a few times~ Don't you guys agree?

slls81

What does that even mean?
    Years
  • Gosh, I've tested out several styles of RPing so far and not many have been successful xD But I'm still learning so I think it's ok to fail a few times~ Don't you guys agree?

^This. I don't think there's a "right" way to run, or participate in, an RP. I think it's just a case of trying a bunch of different things, before finally settling on a style that you as an RPer (or as a GM, the majority of players) are comfortable with. (Note that I said the majority of players, as a GM I've found that you'll never be able to please everyone. :/) Sure, a few mistakes might be made along the way, but that's half the fun right? At least that's how it seems to have worked out in the RP's I've run and participated in. :P

Years
  • I feel that Chapter RPs are best for Journeys. My 2 cents worth, that's all.

And talking about a GM's role. I guess for PMD or Pokemon-charactered RPs, the GM should play in with the rest so as to form some sort of "role model" so the others can expect what to do and not do. (That's what I plan to do for my next RP that's based on Pokemon-to-Human)

Journey RPs should be monitored and controlled by GMs and GMs should try not to partake in the game so as to not confuse people.

Aura.Lucario

The Rivers will run red....
    Years
  • And talking about a GM's role. I guess for PMD or Pokemon-charactered RPs, the GM should play in with the rest so as to form some sort of "role model" so the others can expect what to do and not do

this. Exactly. But chapter RPs will limit your communicating methods. I think I want those RPs that aren't like Chapter RPs, but the posts are longer than those PMD short posts. Somewhere in between, and I'm trying to make that happen in Eternal Nightmare. a Similar example is Pokemon Odyssey.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well there are no 'official' categories for RPs here, we've just bunched together some that we call 'chaptered' RPs but they can in turn look very different from another.

And just a note; most RPs are NOT to be considered dead if nobody has posted in them for a week. It's just that we've got so many ultra-active RPs now that those tend to fall over on page 2 in the thread index XD Remember to check page 2 and even page 3 from time to time in case you've missed an interesting RP that just hasn't made it to the first page for a week or so! An RP isn't completely dead until it's GM or majority of players give up on it, or when it hasn't been posted in for a month.

Baconkillszombies

I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>
    Years
  • Sure, more views can make you feel good... but it's like you say, people check in often and type a few lines up and then they go. And then they check again, type a few lines up and so on.

And slow paced isn't always good xD It's just they way RPs seem to turn out if the GM demands longer posts. It's not on purpose, at least not in my RPs.

Gosh, I've tested out several styles of RPing so far and not many have been successful xD But I'm still learning so I think it's ok to fail a few times~ Don't you guys agree?
    I agree, I have failed numerous times.Yet I keep trying because Rping is fun and junk. :P >.>

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
  • Sure, more views can make you feel good... but it's like you say, people check in often and type a few lines up and then they go. And then they check again, type a few lines up and so on.

I've tested out many styles of RP most of them die. xD! Thats why I moved to a private forum but because manda won't post her wall of text post we can't do squat

As for posting length..I'm definitely demanding. I don't like seeing 1 paragraph posts for something that can easily be stretched out to 2-3 paragraphs with lines of dialog and description. It kind of peeves me off that some people make a 1 paragraph post making their character do one thing and then end it.

Of course I must shamefully admit, I did that too in my newbie days. xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    There are A LOT of new RPs now, many which I think are really interesting. Hope you'll get active and serious players and get those RPs running!

MichaelaTheUchiha

Forever Shawol and Aileean
    Years

• Of course I must shamefully admit, I did that too in my newbie days. xD

The thing is, most of the people RPing now are newbies (read: n00bs). So, GMs have to be aware of who are new and who are not and help those who are new.

Or perhaps I could finish that posting guide. XD Both could work. XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The thing is, most of the people RPing now are newbies (read: n00bs). So, GMs have to be aware of who are new and who are not and help those who are new.

Or perhaps I could finish that posting guide. XD Both could work. XD

Do finish it! :D I want to read it~

MichaelaTheUchiha

Forever Shawol and Aileean
    Years
  • Started rewriting it since I feel like the first one was crap. Here is what I have so far:

Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    That kind of reminds me of yeaaars back when I make a thread that was a guide/faq to roleplaying, like the types of roleplays and things of the like. The forum I did so on is now dead though, and I was like... eleven or twelve when I wrote it hurr.

I haven't roleplayed for years (last time I did forum roleplay no including the club RPs that didn't last long here was on Gaia) on a forum, and Livejournal didn't really require long posts, not to mention the other roleplay styles when it comes to LJ. Soo... I'm a little dusty. Going to probably just stay in one roleplay until I become a bit more confident in my roleplaying abilities again. xD;

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Sounds good to me, since you're in my RP ^^ Making a guide when 11 years old, that's though business.

How does roleplaying on LJ work, anyways? I've heard Emma and others talk about it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    It was stickied, so I assume that I did a good job on it. xD;

LJ roleplaying can work in several ways. Usually, there is a first person side and a third person side to LJ roleplaying. The first person side would be when someone posts through a 'communicator' and the characters reply to eachother like they're simply chatting. Another way to think about it is if they're play script roleplaying, but without the actions. However, sometimes people will make 'action posts' in which it would technically be script playing (though instead of going "Name: blah blah" the name part is simply you posting the character's journal account that you create for them).

Then there are logs, which is pretty much like normal roleplaying in third person. If I weren't go lazy, I could go and get examples. xD; I might sound confusing, but it's really easy when you get the hang of it. The nice part about it is the whole icon side of roleplaying, in which you use the icons as a emotion set, and you choose the icon that most best matches how they're feeling at the time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back