• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

September 2017 tier shifts

Sirfetch’d

Jirachi moved from OU to UU
    Machamp moved from NU to RU
    Banette-Mega moved from UU to RU
    Moltres moved from BL3 to RU
    Kingdra moved from BL3 to OU
    Nihilego moved from OU to UU
    Mantine moved from RU to UU
    Gallade-Mega moved from OU to UU
    Tornadus moved from UU to RU
    Hawlucha moved from UU to OU
    Ampharos-Mega moved from OU to UU
    Latias-Mega moved from OU to UU
    Manaphy moved from BL to OU
    Heracross-Mega moved from OU to UU
    Drapion moved from NU to RU
    Abomasnow-Mega moved from UU to RU
    Decidueye moved from UU to RU
    Meloetta moved from BL3 to RU
    Dragonite moved from BL to OU
    Absol-Mega moved from UU to RU
    Altaria-Mega moved from OU to UU
    Ninetales-Alola moved from UU to OU
    Quagsire moved from NU to RU
    Froslass moved from RU to NU
    Smeargle moved from OU to UU
    Manectric-Mega moved from OU to UU
    Camerupt-Mega moved from UU to RU
    Heracross moved from BL2 to UU
    Nidoqueen moved from UU to RU
    Audino-Mega moved from RU to NU
    Hoopa-Unbound moved from OU to UU
    Rotom-Wash moved from OU to UU
    Tsareena moved from UU to RU
    Zygarde-10% moved from UU to RU

What is everyone's thoughts on these? Obviously UU is going to be MASSIVELY different with mons such as Mega Manectric and Gardevoir, Hoopa-U, Nihilego, and Rotom-W entering the tier. While some of these will likely be banned, the tier should be completely different as of now.

Sirfetch’d

Hoopa U, Mega Heracross, and Mega Gallade have been quickbanned from UU.

Zygarde and Mega Absol have been quickbanned from RU.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • oh look A-Ninetales in OU again. Aurora Veil will be frequent once again.

Also, Hawlucha?

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    It's crazy how something that was niche last gen like terrain can move a mon like Hawlucha into the spotlight. Kingdra was a bit shocking to me, but I guess it shouldn't have been since it's the second best Swift Swim mon after Swampert. Ninetales-A will now be really good, as it totally destroys every relevant rain mon, sets hail/AV and can beat some more uncommon answers to the HO teams it sets up for like Quagsire.

I love OU right now because it is gravitating away from the concentrated, vile stall that was popular in the very beginning (Dugtrio + Chansey + Clefable + Toxapex + Skarmory + filler mon). UU on the other hand...

No surprise to see Tsareena and Decidueye drop. Tsareena is great for role compression, which makes me think it will remain a niche choice on UU teams, but the speed hurts it too much and it can rarely use its great Attack stat. Nidoqueen and Jirachi are surprising to me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Also, Hawlucha?
    Tsk sort of briefly touched on it, but basically Hawlucha became much more threatening this gen thanks to the introduction of Tapus+terrain activated seed items. You can both nab a Def or SpDef boost and trigger Unburden simply by switching it in on the appropriate terrain, making it easier to set-up with Swords Dance/Bulk Up. Flying/Fighting is a pretty good offensive type combo, plus you get Arcobatics, which benefits from the whole Unburden+terrain seed thing.

It's a pretty good sweeper really, though I guess it took people (including myself I guess) a while to catch on.

Years
  • I have a team I sometimes use that makes use of Hawlucha and Electric Seed. I have to say that whilst it's beastly once it sets up Swords Dance with Unburden, it's still very fragile even after you boost its Def/Sp. Def and situational too. I'm surprised to see it move up to OU and expect it will likely drop back to UU soon enough.

VoltYellow

And then Everyone Dies™
    Years
  • Good to see Hawlucha in OU but Rotom-Wash . . . .
    images

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • All of these tier shifts makes me wish Smogon should've increased the number of Pokemon for each tier besides NU and PU, so OU wouldn't restrict only around 50 Pokemon in its tier (as well as to prevent any impressions from people new to the competitive community that any Pokemon below OU is terrible).

Last edited:
    Back