• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Garnering Interest for a Large-Scale Galaxy 'Roleplay'

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
  • This is a super cool idea. Kinda puts me in mind of Spore/No Man's Sky. I'd be up for contributing. When it comes to the actual roleplaying, what would the overarching idea be? Self-determined, sandbox galaxy exploration? Individual planetside plots (one group of characters playing on one planet, while others do it another)? Or both/something else?

The scope is pretty huge. You could potentially have groups of separate roleplays that intersect/merge as various parties explore the galaxy. Obviously that would be waaay too messy to do in one thread, but it could be interesting.

Years
  • I'm kind of curious about that as well. Would it be the sort of thing where each would control one character of our own race and planer, or would we be a sort of god figure manipulating our respective races?

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • [...]or would we be a sort of god figure manipulating our respective races?
    This is sort of similar something I've seen done elsewhere called 'nation roleplay' only this time it would be planets/planetary empires, if it was done this way. In that type of roleplay, players control a nation and play out what's happening in it. Usually you're roleplaying as that nation's leader/government and you're deciding when to go to war, what to research, when to trade, etc. So I guess that would be another thing to consider/way to do it.

Edit: I see you've already responded. I understand a little more now, so the concept is much closer to being like WoPC, but with heavier roleplaying focus.

Still totally on board.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • What we do have to decide is how loose the idea is going to be. Would creators have essentially unlimited resources, or would there be strict laws regarding how you had to ration your resources, fund your governments, consider your people.

It would add more structure, but we would be losing some flexibility.

Would unlimited resources come under the realm of powerplaying? Idk with this type of concept. I think more general sorta, 'don't make your planet great at everything/ a perfect paradise' kinda rules would work best? It might be a play it by ear kinda situation.

Years
  • Personally, I think I would lean towards a more structured approach, however the rules don't necessarily need to be that complicated. In a roleplay like this, I actually think it would be more difficult to create a Mary Sue planet/race. After all, each would have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Example, lets just use our own planet as a Mary Sue (after all, it is pretty great). And lets just say that we use humans as our base Mary Sue race, intelligent, fairly independent, innovative, opposable thumbs, etc. Now lets say roleplayer two comes along with an insectoid hive-mind race. Not autonomous, little freedom, doesn't innovate as much, imitates and steals tech rather than developing.

Seems pretty cut and dry, humans win, right? Unless RPer 2 points out flaws to give themselves distinct advantages and exposing weaknesses. After all, being autonomous and having freedom seems pretty great, but it leads to division, internal wars and strife, differences in beliefs, morals, opinions, etc. Hive-mind race on the other hand, controlled, ordered, no need for anything like moral, and being insectoid they have exoskeletons whereas humans are simply bags of meat and squishy flesh.

I find a lot of the balance can come through other players pointing out and exploiting flaws that they other player may have overlooked. Obviously some power needs to be managed. After all, can't have once race saying, "Oh, welp, I just created the Death Star, so....". Although I think a lot of that comes down to the RPers just not being idiots.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    HTML:
    I'd actually suggest making "regions" as planets in World of Pok?Community, and then host roleplays based on them here in the RPT. A subforum for this would pretty much just be WoPC copy. Iiiif they feature pokemon, that is...

But a single thread (well, dual with IC+OOC) RP wouldn't be impossible! Just have the SU posts be planet SUs and let players post IC either as updates about their own planet and business, or marking their IC posts with certain titles when they are playing in events together c:

Years
  • HTML:
    I'd actually suggest making "regions" as planets in World of Pok?Community, and then host roleplays based on them here in the RPT. A subforum for this would pretty much just be WoPC copy. Iiiif they feature pokemon, that is...

But a single thread (well, dual with IC+OOC) RP wouldn't be impossible! Just have the SU posts be planet SUs and let players post IC either as updates about their own planet and business, or marking their IC posts with certain titles when they are playing in events together c:

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Years
  • So, another thought/question for you. Would you be leaning towards a few sub-GM type people creating planets that roleplayers would then sign up for, or each player to make their own planet and then the other players can interact or something. Sorry, I'm wording this poorly, hope you kinda understand.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Single thread certainly wouldn't be easy, I'd imagine. Especially if it gained enough popularity that there were several planets, several different people in a bunch of different locations. It may start to be confusing.

I think this idea most likely wouldn't feature Pokemon. We would be creating our own races and worlds, so idk if creating them in WoPC with a separate tag would be a feasible idea. It's a good one, though. I'll message the mods.
    Gonna mention here what I said in the skype chat. How about having one main ooc/ic thread pairs, where people sign up as systems/planets and can help each other develop them? Perhaps there isnt even a need for an ic thread for the main "rp" as you'd mostly do WoPC style updates and lore stories or maybe official interactions between planets.

And then you create spin-off RPs, meaning new ooc/ic threads, for each contained story where people can sign up as characters rather than planets of their own. The GM for each spin-off RP can specify on what planets/systems this particular adventure takes place, what races are allowed etc, and link back to relevant planet SUs in the main ooc (and maybe even relevant update/lore posts in the main ic).

Just an idea, maybe you don't want to use it :3

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My name is SV, and I approve of this message.
    You're not the rp corner god anymore, k.

you were replaced by Blarzigord who totally needs to have his own cult and mythical planet of origin in this rp btw.

Reactions: SV
    Back