• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Your Whitney Strategy

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    What strategies have you implemented to beat Whitney? :)

I just used a Poison Powder + Curse + Sand Attack strat and it did pretty great. What about you guys? Do you use a specific strat or just grind?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    all I did was have a couple of Pokemon soften the Clefairy up, then did the rest with Geodude

which took a long ass time cuz I forgot that I should've caught a female Geodude so I didn't have to deal with Attract nonsense

Years
  • Usually just get a female Geodude or Heracross. The Machop you get in the Dpt.Store is also female iirc.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Sleep Powder Whitney's Clefairy with Weepinbell.
    Growth until at +6. Healed with Super Potion when at +6.
    Vine whip Clefairy. Clefairy fainted.
    Miltank used Stomp.
    Vine Whip Miltank. Miltank fainted.

Years
  • I was lucky, my female Croconaw used ice punch and on the first turn it froze Miltank solid. I had back up plans though. If it had begun to roll out on me I would have started spamming rage. I can play the game of amp up too.

If Croconaw somehow fell to the rollout then I would have still got off lots of damage on it. Then I would have brought in Onix. The one that was traded to me for Bellsprout was male, but it still would have resisted everything that Miltank had, and if it was locked into rollout it could not use attract.

Years
  • Before, I would only level up my starter Pokemon to the point it was way too high a level for the Gym Leaders to defeat. Recently I have been leveling up all of my team. I used an Onix against Whitney's Pokemon and their normal attacks did not do much damage against Onix. The battle took a while because Miltank kept using Milk Drink to restore its hp and my Onix was a bit of a low level but still managed to defeat Miltank.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    My plan is to use the female Machop. Use x-items to buff Muscle while Clefairy is out, knock it out, then hopefully KO Miltank without problems.

Last edited:

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • My team was a high enough level to defeat her team without any real strategy. Managed to get a few lucky flinches with Headbutt though.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I got a female Phanpy, taught it Rollout.
    Rollout Clefairy, hit twice before it fainted. Rollout a 3rd time on Miltank and one-shot it. Counter-Rollout strats

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I hope for the best with whatever teammates I got. Whitney always gets lucky even while confused and paralyzed with low accuracy

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2021
    I grinded to get my Heracross to a decent level, then used Leer with Quilava until he fainted. Luckily rollout missed twice so when I switched to Heracross it took one horn attack to knock Miltank out.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2018
    What strategies have you implemented to beat Whitney? :)

I just used a Poison Powder + Curse + Sand Attack strat and it did pretty great. What about you guys? Do you use a specific strat or just grind?

The Clefairy is small potatoes. It's that darn Miltank that's trouble.

I send in my Noctowl to Flash reduce it's accuracy and then Quilave to Smokescreen away the rest of it, crippling the reliability of it's pesky Rollout. Then, I finish it off by sicking my Onix on it to not only Screech away it's Defense, but resist all of it's moves.

Years
  • I paralyzed it with my Butterfree then I switch to Phanpy and used Mud-Slap six times. Afterwards I used Headbutt until it Miltank fainted.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    My female Geodude took her Miltank out with 5 Magnitudes.

Rock-type is best type in this situation, but everyone has their different strategies.

Guest123_x1

My strategy for Whitney is to use the Machop that I got from the in-game trade at the Department Store, and its Low Kick, at least level 22-23. My backup is a female Geodude and Magnitude at around that same level, hoping to get a Magnitude 8 or above (I've gotten at least Magnitude 7 more often than say, Magnitude 4-6). I also equip my Machop with the Quick Claw (obtained at the National Park).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Smokescreen spam if I chose Cyndaquil as my starter or Sand Attack spam if I didn't. And bring a ton of potions.

Back