• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2019
    I chose Chikorita, because I like challenges in my Pokemon games. Plus, I chose Chikorita in my very first Gold file. :)

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Picked Chikorita. Almost thought about a last minute change to Cyndaquil due to the lack of fire types in Johto, but decided against it. Plus, I picked Charmander in Blue, so I didn't want to go back to back.

Years
  • I plan to choose Totodile when I get my eShop download! Chikorita I've used tons of times over, and Cyndaquil I don't want to use this time around since there are other fires I want to try out. It's a hard choice honestly.. all the Johto starters are perfect ?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Naturally, I picked Cyndaquil. I didn't know there was something like a starter glitch, but I will definitely make use of that in my next run, after migrating my 'original' team over to SM.

MaSterBarth

Pokemon MaSter
    Years
  • Cyndaquill is the last pokemon i got using the glitch, and so I still consider it my starter. Cyndaquill all the way.

Years
  • As much as I love the Cyndaquil line and often tend to end up picking the fire types, I decided to pick the starter that I originally played the game with so many years ago - and that would be Chikorita. It's my second favorite line of the Johto starters, so it's still all good.

Years
  • I usually go with Chikorita but I didn't want to reuse it through all of the Virtual Console versions, so for the sake of changing things up and making my decision(s) easier I decided to go with what each character in Pokemon Adventures picked- Cyndaquil for Gold, Totodile for Silver, and Chikorita for Crystal (if/when that happens).

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I picked Chikorita this time in Silver on the Virtual Console. The Grass Starter is very cute.

I think I picked Totodile in my first ever Silver Playthrough when it came out on the GBC.

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I picked Totodile on Silver for nostalgia, it's what I rolled with as a 7 year old way back when the games first came out.

Years
  • That's cool that so many people picked the same starter that they used when they first played the game. I love fire starters and would have picked Cyndaquil but back in childhood with my first Pokemon Gold, I had picked Totodile so that is who I picked again.
    I felt like I needed to resurrect my "Ballunisha" (Feraligatr) that I accidentally deleted when I was a kid. :( Now Ballunisha and I are reunited lol :P

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2018
    Just like in 2001 when I was graduating Middle School, I choose Cyndaquil, the adorable fire type with the back of fire.

Though, in hindsight, I will admit that Totodile has the most detailed design of the three and Chikorita and it's evos are arguably the best Grass types you could possibly have at the time.

MaӾiej

Huge Kida Fan
    Years
  • I almost always picked Totodile. I picked Cyndaquil a couple times, though. I never picked Chikorita.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • A couple years ago when I did a marathon of all Pokémon main series, I picked each starter in every Gen II game. Here, I have only two versions, so I had to make a choice... and it was easy: not Chikorita, never Chikorita (sorry ^^').

So, Cyndaquil in Gold, Totodile in Silver. Exactly the opposite of what I did when I got Silver, then Gold versions on GBC when I was a kid.

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
    Years
  • Totodile named Dile It Up...Just chose my favorite this time around...:)...

Back