• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Surprise Trading

Years
  • How do you approach surprise trading? What do you send off and what do you, in general, expect or hope for? Has anything particularily, ahem, surprising come your way?

---

I can say this: today was my second day with the game and first day online. During that day alone I have recieved, in order, a baby Eevee, a baby Larvitar, a baby Axew, a baby Dreepy, another baby Larvitar (liked it better, sent the first one off), a level 59 high Dynamax level Spanish Ditto (!!!) and a baby Pichu.

I did get a few nothing-specials (a Nickit, a Wobbuffet and a Maractus - though I couldn't catch the last one myself at the time), but those were negligible compared to the good stuff nice people were sending.

In return I always send version exclusive or harder to find Pokémon: a couple of Shield-common Growlithe, a Lotad and Lombre, many Spritzee (and I looked for females specifically, good thing they spawn commonly and in the overworld) and a female Espurr (least "good and desirable", I know, but I figured it wasn't very common and that the reciever might like it if they only have a male).

I may just be starting out, but the whole system of Surprise Trading relies on the good will of participators. If you want good Pokémon in return, try your best to send out good Pokémon yourself. The more people approach it that way, the better your chances of getting something strong or rare.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've only used it once so far when in the earlier stages of the game, and got Dreepy. ❤️ My first one. Traded my Espurr so it wasn't exactly the best trade on their end haha, but made me happy as a new player. =') Next time I'll be sending off Pokémon with good IVs/natures from my breeding projects. Don't want to be one of those that sends off only 'useless' mons lol.

Years
  • I love surprise trading, pretty much do it every time I play and catch as many pokemon as I can, if I got more than one of the same type whether its a good pokemon or useless pokemon I'll trade

I've just got the first badge and have 133 pokemon with about 10 duplicates left to to trade so gonna have to catch some more next time I play

Years
  • Today I got both Grookey (2 of them!) and Scorbunny (a female).

The first Grookey I got was male and nicknamed in Japanese, and I kind of wanted a female, so I made a couple of eggs with the aforementioned Ditto - the first came out female and is now Rillaboom, my team Grass type!

I sent her father off into the world and got the Scorbunny in return. The second Grookey is French, so I kept him in case I ever wish to breed Grookey.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2020
    We really like surprise trading it actually helped us fill out half our dex so its really good

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Cali
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I've been sending out Modest Duraludon and Ponyta when I have the time to play and internet ^^

Last edited:

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I've started doing surprise trades with my breeding leftovers; currently I'm sending out 4IV Jolly Darumaka in a Heavy Ball. And depending on the time of the day, I get different types of Pokemon in return. Mostly I've been getting lv. 1 Pokemon with good IVs in return, and one particular trade this morning made me wonder if this time they are actually trying to pair the trade participants based on what they are sending out. Specifically the only time I sent out a 5IV Pokemon was also the only time I got a 5IV in return, which was really great. And I've also noticed that sometimes there will be at least one notification that someone is doing a surprise trade before I'm actually paired with a different player.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    I don't know where I'd be without surprise trades.

Ive obtained..
    4-5iv Dittos
    5iv Scorbunny
    5iv Solosis
    HA 5iv Hattrem
    HA Rookidee
    Countless 5iv'd Dreepy
    5iv Eevee
    Much more I can't even think about.

I don't know...my old, OLD oldschool habits from the Diamond and Pearl days of aggressive (but legit)breeding still latch onto me in this new Pokemon game. You don't need to anymore at all since bottle caps and ability capsules are now a thing, and battle tower is incredibly fun this time around to grind for BP. This is already on top of the gen 6 fixes with inheritable IVs, and now the egg move species trick.

So what do I do with all the extra babies? Release them? No way, surprise trade them! I swear just as I posted in the PC discord in trades yesterday for a HA Hatterene, I was off surprise trading and some random person on surprise trade actually gave me one! So while It'd be easy to suggest jus surprise trade, I'd like to be like the person who gave me that Hattrem. I've been surprise trading 4-5iv pokes with egg moves, HAs, you name it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I've been using it to trade out my Pokemon that I breed while trying to get a shiny and to help fill my Dex.

Years
  • As someone who skipped Gen 6+7, I never did a Wonder Trade and I did my very first Suprise Trade a few days ago.

I sent an Galarian Farfetch'd holding a Leek thinking it might help out a Shield player, as I had a spare one.

What did I receive in return? Yep, you guessed it. A level 1 Magikarp! I must admit, it did make me laugh. xD

Years
  • Yep all the remaining bred pokemon with good ivs enter the surprise trade.
    Yesterday I received a 5 iv scorbunny, and the sixth was very good.
    Do people really breed on perfect ivs?
    With those ivs I had finished breeding, and I kept it myself

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Yep all the remaining bred pokemon with good ivs enter the surprise trade.
    Yesterday I received a 5 iv scorbunny, and the sixth was very good.
    Do people really breed on perfect ivs?
    With those ivs I had finished breeding, and I kept it myself

They're culls, probably because the other parties are breeding for perfect IV shinies, it's very common.
    I release them into Surprise Trades (And Wonder back then). Spreading the joys is fun, especially when people need all the 3 starters and version exclusives etc.

Back