• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 4 - 24th December 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Ah, another bug.

In the script section Compiler, search for the phrase pbPhoneRegisterBattle. There will be 3 instances of it. Find the third instance (line 3879), and put if battles.length>1 and end around that line.

I told you I don't test these things. :cheeky: It may be worthwhile releasing version 4.1 with these things fixed.

I'd wait until the new year to give it some more time - just to see if any more new bugs will pop up. I've been toying with it and haven't had and problems though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2016
First, thanks for the new Version. It's really great so far.

However, I don't know if it's just me but I can use every HMs right from the start without having to find them and teach them to any Pokemons. I don't think I've changed any script so far. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
First, thanks for the new Version. It's really great so far.

However, I don't know if it's just me but I can use every HMs right from the start without having to find them and teach them to any Pokemons. I don't think I've changed any script so far. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
Can you give more details, I for example don't know whether the HM's are in your bag from the start or not. Also, this is the right place to post questions like this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=105731

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2016
Can you give more details, I for example don't know whether the HM's are in your bag from the start or not. Also, this is the right place to post questions like this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=105731

Thanks, I wasn't sure.
And Nevermind, I haven't been using the starter kit for a while and I had forgoten that you could use HMs at anytime when you were running the game from the editor

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Thanks, I wasn't sure.

I'm not starting the game with any HMs in my bag but I can surf/cut and everything. I can do it before getting my first Pokemon too.
If you open the game in RPG Maker XP, the game will be opened in Debug Mode and therefore you're able to use all HM's without having a Pokemon. If you open it the normal way (by opening game.exe) this won't happen.

EDIT:
I get this when I start my game based on this version of Essentials:
96287177.png

All I've changed was the content of the folder and the script Settings:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
96287177.png

Spoiler:

That's odd, I just tried it and I don't have that issue. When you say you changed the "Content of the folder", could you elaborate for me?

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
That's odd, I just tried it and I don't have that issue. When you say you changed the "Content of the folder", could you elaborate for me?
Sure, I've copied the Graphics, Audio and PBS folder from my project based on the october release to the folder of my project based on the december release.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Sure, I've copied the Graphics, Audio and PBS folder from my project based on the october release to the folder of my project based on the december release.
I just thought of something - try messing with your options from the startup menu you showed me - Particularly the screen size options. If that doesn't work, delete your save file entirely and start a new one. I've had all sorts of problems arise in the past from trying to carry save files over from older versions of essentials.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I just thought of something - try messing with your options from the startup menu you showed me - Particularly the screen size options. If that doesn't work, delete your save file entirely and start a new one. I've had all sorts of problems arise in the past from trying to carry save files over from older versions of essentials.
The problem with the options screen is that by default it is set to 240x160, so then I have to switch to 480x240 ( which it does, by the way) and then switch back to 240x160, and then my screen is the way it should be. Deleting the save file shouldn't work; I haven't copied the old savefile as it was in Documents/Saved Games instead of the game folder.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
If I wanted to upgrade my fangame to this new version from the October 2011 version, what would I have to do?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
If I wanted to upgrade my fangame to this new version from the October 2011 version, what would I have to do?

Copy your rmxp data files, including your tilesets, maps, system, and possibly your common events and animation if you have them, to your new project folder.

Next, copy anything you made in your graphics folder into the new project. note that the names of certain graphic files have changed during some updates, and you may need to rename some of your graphic files.

If you added any custom features as far as scripting is concerned, you have to re-implement them by copying those scripts into the script editor of the new version. This is why it's good to document any changes you make to the scripts. :)

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Copy your rmxp data files, including your tilesets, maps, system, and possibly your common events and animation if you have them, to your new project folder.

Next, copy anything you made in your graphics folder into the new project. note that the names of certain graphic files have changed during some updates, and you may need to rename some of your graphic files.

If you added any custom features as far as scripting is concerned, you have to re-implement them by copying those scripts into the script editor of the new version. This is why it's good to document any changes you make to the scripts. :)
Okay, thank you. I'm going to try this out :)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
96287177.png

Spoiler:
I was looking at a barely related thing, and ended up fixing this problem quite by coincidence.

In the script section SpriteResizer, at line 138, change it to read $ResizeFactor=1.0. I think I did a few other tweaks, but that by itself should yield promising results.

On a related note, would anyone care if there were no longer any "screen with border" options to choose from (thus leaving just two screen size options: half and full zoom)?

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
I suppose if people really wanted that border they could stick with an older version of Essentials. I myself don't use it (Mostly because I haven't looked into how to do so), but I know a few game devs here using the feature.

I say keep it, but I doubt many are really going to use it.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I was looking at a barely related thing, and ended up fixing this problem quite by coincidence.

In the script section SpriteResizer, at line 138, change it to read $ResizeFactor=1.0. I think I did a few other tweaks, but that by itself should yield promising results.

On a related note, would anyone care if there were no longer any "screen with border" options to choose from (thus leaving just two screen size options: half and full zoom)?

I certainly can't speak for everyone here, but in my own opinion, borders in games are pretty ugly, so I'd be just fine seeing them removed. What I've been trying to do for a while now in one of my projects is make a 1x, 2x, and 4x zoom setting (It's using the GBC screen size), but whenever I go to the 4x option, it ends up bringing the border back whenever I restart the game, and the only reason I can figure is that essentials still wants to put a border on the third option, even though as far as I can tell, I got rid of everything border related - So maybe you'd be able to fix that in the process.

Note: There's also not much point in helping me specifically resolved the issue right now since that project is on a dated release of essentials. Thought I should add that for clarity.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Excuse me, I downloaded it, and that when I tried using it, it said "Failed to initialize DirectX Audio." So I downloaded DirectX Audio and that it still does the same thing, what is wrong with my Game.exe?

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
Not sure if should have made a new thread for this but, anyways
can someone help me here with my mysterygift system?, the gift creator works but the gift loader doesn't use the right stats for everything (shiny/shadow is 49 even when I make it 0/1 isOdd is nil, and every 256+ multipuls it subtracts by 256)...
I've checked it a few times and I see nothing wrong here, maybe someone else can find it?
Code:
## By Ho-oh 112 Version 1.0
## Allows you to choose pokemon, level, form, and tint (shiny, shadow, normal)
## Auto compiles/decompiles into gift.txt and loads gift.txt
## Todo, Make online compatible, add the rest of the pokemon stuff
## (moves, abillities, ect.)
def pbWriteGift
species=pbChooseSpecies(1)
if species!=0
  species2 = species
  species = species / 2 * 2
  if species2 == species
    isOdd = 1
  else
    isOdd = 2
  end
  species = species2
if isOdd >= 1
  species = species + 1
end
if species >= 256 * 2
  greater = 2 # when set to 2+ this will divide by 4 instead of 2
  species = species / 4
end
if species < 256 * 2
  species = species / 2
  greater = 1 # when set to 1 AND ONLY 1 this will disable 4/
end
#Set Level
params=ChooseNumberParams.new
params.setRange(1,PBExperience::MAXLEVEL)
params.setInitialValue(5)
params.setCancelValue(0)
level=Kernel.pbMessageChooseNumber(
_INTL("Set the Pokémon's level."),params)
#set form
if level != 0
params.setRange(0,20)
params.setInitialValue(0)
params.setCancelValue(0)
form=Kernel.pbMessageChooseNumber(
_INTL("Set the Pokémon's Form."),params)
#set shiny/shadow
params.setRange(0,9)
params.setCancelValue(0)
shiny=Kernel.pbMessageChooseNumber(
_INTL("Shiny 1+, normal 0"),params)
params.setRange(0,9)
params.setCancelValue(0)
shadow=Kernel.pbMessageChooseNumber(
_INTL("Shadow 1+, normal 0"),params)
#set move 1
params.setRange(1,999)
params.setInitialValue(1)
params.setCancelValue(0)
move1=Kernel.pbMessageChooseNumber(
_INTL("Choose move1"),params)
#set move 2
params.setRange(1,999)
params.setCancelValue(0)
move2=Kernel.pbMessageChooseNumber(
_INTL("Choose move2"),params)
#set move 3
params.setRange(1,999)
params.setCancelValue(0)
move3=Kernel.pbMessageChooseNumber(
_INTL("Choose move3"),params)
#set move 4
params.setRange(1,999)
params.setCancelValue(0)
move4=Kernel.pbMessageChooseNumber(
_INTL("Choose move4"),params)
#Compiles
if shiny == 0
  shiny = "n"
  shiny.unpack("C")
end
if shadow == 0
  shadow = "n"
  shadow.unpack("C")
end
tint=[shiny, shadow]
moves=[move1, move2, move3, move4]
dat1=[species, level, tint, moves, isOdd, greater]
dat2=dat1.pack("CvM^*077700*^")
filename="Gifts/Gift.MG"
File.open(filename,"wb"){|f|
f.write(dat2)
}
end
end
end

def pbLoadGift
  idOdd = 1
  data = nil
  if $Trainer.party.length == 6
    Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Your party is full!"))
    return
  end
  File.open("Gifts/Gift.MG","rb"){|f|
data=f.read
}
if data == nil
  return false
end
dat=data.unpack("CvM^*077700*^")
species=dat[0]*2
level=dat[1]
tint=dat[2]
moves=dat[3]
isOdd=dat[4]
greater=dat[5]
shiny=tint[0]
shadow=tint[1]
if $PokemonGlobal.LastGift1 == dat
  Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("You've got this gift already."))
  return
end
if $PokemonGlobal.LastGift2 == dat
  return
end
if $PokemonGlobal.LastGift3 == dat
  return
end
if $PokemonGlobal.LastGift4 == dat
  return
end
if $PokemonGlobal.LastGift5 == dat
  return
end
if species == nil
  return false
end
if isOdd == nil
  return false
end
if greater == nil
  return false
end
if level == nil
  level=1
end
if greater != 2
  else
  species = species / 2 * 4
end
    if isOdd == 1
      species = species - 1
    end

if species > 493 || species < 0
  return false
end
if level > PBExperience::MAXLEVEL || level < 0
  return false
end
p=PokeBattle_Pokemon.new(species,level,$Trainer)
# Makes Shiny/Shadow
if shiny == 49
  p.makeShiny
end
if shadow == 49
  p.makeShadow
end
pbAddToParty(p)
end

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
This forum is to be used for questions. Please only post bugs, and feedback on Essentials in the release threads.

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
Right so I tried making connection points between 2 maps (they worked at first) when I reached route 2 it gives me this message:

Script 'Interpreter' line 511: NoMethodError occurred
undefined method `unlock' for nil:NilClass

I didn't modify the Interpreter, so then I decided to copy over a fresh sheet of scripts and again:
Script 'Interpreter' line 511: NoMethodError occurred
undefined method `unlock' for nil:NilClass

When I remove the connections data it works fine, also the other maps in the connections

Town 1, Route 1, Town 2

when going to switch from them there is "an invisible wall" by them even though the maps are right against each other....

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
ok so since there is now a forum does that mean there will be more discussions on features to be added/changed in essentials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back