• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New laptop help!!!! (Resolved, thank you!)

Years
  • So the repair guy couldn't fix my laptop in the end. Issue with the actual key connections from excessive use since its an old ish model (mid 2012) with the only choice being to replace the motherboard itself, which is super expensive for a computer this old, with it being likely it'll break again in a few months. So now I need a new one..

Would you guys go with the more expensive 2017 model, or an older version? I'm worried about buying older laptops now because of how pricey and tedious it is to replace parts after they've been around/used for years so idk. They asked if I would be interested in a preloaded 2013 MacBook pro with 512gb SSD and 16gb ram for 800$ but it's old and I'm paranoid. How far back would you guys go for purchasing laptops? Maybe not the 2017 model since it will literally run me 3 grand, but maybe 2016?

Typing from bros tablet lol

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • I personally would not go for a Mac at all. I would consider a modest laptop ranging from $300-$600. The laptop that I just bought was $350, and works beautifully! You can get a new and more customizable Windows laptop of nearly identical specs at the 2013 Macbook Pro for $500.

However if you must use a Macbook, The 2013 one has good specs. Totally usable. While SSDs are amazing, you likely don't need 16gb of RAM unless you are a heavy multi-tasker (and I'm not talking about some Chrome tabs plus Discord.)

With that being said, what exactly do you do on your Macbooks? Anything particularly intensive? If not, then going with an older/cheaper option could be fine.

Last edited:

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I agree with SirBoglor here. If you only do basic stuff like browsing or Discord you don't really need a MacBook at all, they're way too expensive for what they're being used for and, as you have experienced, they're very difficult and expensive to repair if anything along the way happens; and if you were to get another MacBook from 2013 you're basically buying a new computer with outdated hardware so it makes no sense. 2017 models are nice design wise (not gonna lie I genuinely like Apple's design) but they're very unconvenient for the fact that they require a ton of adapters to work with external devices such as USB flash drives, and this is surely gonna inflate the price even more.

Lastly, I'm not really an expert but I think that they're basically forcing you to replace the motherboard while this issue could be fixed with a simple repair in a repair center fitted with proper machines to work on motherboards (I've seen videos on YouTube, especially on MacBooks and with keyboard and trackpad problems), that's a pretty usual practice among tech products.

At this point, opting for a cheaper Windows laptop from a reputable brand (like Acer or Asus), should be a viable option for you: you get more bang for your buck and you'll be able to do your usual tasks just fine.

Years
  • Though this is more from the Windows side where manufacturers make laptops that are less durable overall, I wouldn't spend on a laptop older than 2 years, personally, at least for one I expected to see at least 2 years of regular use. You could probably get away with 3 or 4 on the Mac side of things because build quality on MacBooks tends to be better than the standard Windows laptop and on par with the high-end Windows laptops that you'll pay nearly an arm and a leg for.

Is that 2013 MacBook Pro a refurbished machine?

Years
  • You guys are lovely, thank you! =)

Unfortunately I'm adamant about getting a Mac at this point. As an artist I highly prefer Macs, and for the durability also. I have a very extensive history with Windows and never had good experiences with those laptops. I've got a windows license for boot camp that I'll be installing on the Mac for occasional games too, and plan to play on Mac steam sometimes too, so it won't just be limited to browsing. In the grand scheme of how much I have saved 3k isn't a whole lot.. I just wonder how far back I can go for an older laptop and still make sure it lasts minimum 3-4 years.

Definitely need a new laptop soon cause they gave it back to me and now it boots with a black screen and is totally unusable.. haha..

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm not sure if if I'd trust a 2013 Mac to run until 2020 unless, as don mentioned, it's a refurbished model.

If it's a completely used model, that'd be a giant red flag for me.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • If you're wanting it to last for a long time... 2013 was a while ago honestly. You may have to pay that premium and get a newer Macbook. Even if the 2013 still has relevant specs, Apple has a proud tradition of forgetting that older devices ever existed after a few years (which can bite you if it needs repairs.) The 2015/2016 model will likely be your best compromise.

For real though, even if you want to do a decent amount of gaming and whatnot, you don't need 16GB of RAM. If it's your only option then sure why not. But otherwise, opt for 8GB and save some money if possible.

Kai

Wayfarer
    Years
  • How soon do you need it? There will probably be a temporary discount on Macs during the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale period.

Back