• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how independent are you from your parents?

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    not just in terms of finances and living arrangements and whatever, but personality differences and beliefs as well

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'd say... not very independent. Like, I can do most daily living skills for example. I just can't do a lot of other things on my own. This is due to having various special needs and mental health issues.

Sirfetch’d

I still live at home so I wouldn't consider myself independent on that front. Am I a lot like my parents? I like to think so. We share a lot of the same beliefs and enjoy the same things.

Years
  • Never independent enough. They live close enough that sometimes they try to call me and talk to me and I wish they would stop, but there is almost nothing we have in common, nothing we can agree on, so I don't see why we should have a relationship at all.

Years
  • I live with my mother and step father but I'm far more liberal in my beliefs. I think my mother would be too but he's sort of...changed her?
    My dad and I share a lot of the same beliefs.
    In terms of living, I'm allowed my own decisions and stuff.

Years
  • Not really, i guess I pay £105 "dig money" dunno really how much a British term that is but basically I pay our Sky tv bill instead of rent.

I can no way afford rent on my own but I have always been pretty financially sound (for a pretty poor working class family). My parents are terrible as shit with credit, bills, money in general, but i'm ok.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    physically i still live with them but i have a job and buy my own clothes and gas so we're getting somewhere. mentally i think i'm turning into my mom, i love her to pieces but i feel sheltered and sorta lost. looking forward to college changing this all.

Years
  • Financially I still depend on my parents sometimes. They help me with rent and food money whenever I ask. In terms of personality I am very much a mix of my mom and dad. I would say 60% parents 40% me for personality. We share a lot of the same beliefs except for religion, but everything else is similar. I never had a problem doing anything on my own though since when I was a kid both my parents always came home very late from work all the time. So feeding myself and making sure to remember to take my medicine everyday on my own prepared me for that aspect of adulthood. The only problem I'd say I have is making appointments for the doctors and such. That always slips my mind and doing it is annoying to me. Sucks it's such an important thing for me too because of my colitis.

Years
  • Personality-wise, I'm more similar to my dad than my mom (while my brother and sister are much more similar to my mother in personality). Ideologically, I'm dramatically further left from center than they are, although they are a bit left of center themselves.

Financially, there's been some interdependence these last couple of years (rather than one-way dependence) since I'm still living at home (because the rent's cheap and I have a couple big monthly payments that severely limit what I can afford to rent in my area) but I help them out with things financially sometimes. I do a fair bit of housework and many errands (though I could always stand to do more). They borrow my car quite a bit more than I borrow either of theirs (mine is much newer and is better on gas than either of theirs, and I rarely have any hauling needs that would require that I use either of their vehicles).

BlackMathgic

Torterra FTW!
    Years
  • I'm financially dependent on my parents. I live at home and they pay for my food and stuff. I have money to buy my clothes and if I wanted a car or anything, I would have to pay for anything related to that.

My personality is a combination of my parents. I'm like a 50/50 mix of their personalities. My beliefs are a little more liberal then theirs, but they are pretty liberal too.

Back