• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reputation announcement feedback.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Okay, theoretically this is fixed now.
    So it seems.

Well I, for one, am disappointed with this change.
    It's probably because you had a huge amount of Positive Rep. Otherwise, you would have hated the abuse too.
    I'd actually want the system to remain if, and only IF people stopped abusing it and actually used it in the way it was supposed to be used in.

How about editing Spey's permissions?
    What do you mean by Spey's permissions?

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    It's probably because you had a huge amount of Positive Rep. Otherwise, you would have hated the abuse too.
    I'd actually want the system to remain if, and only IF people stopped abusing it and actually used it in the way it was supposed to be used in.
    negative rep != abuse. People perceiving any and all negative rep they received as abuse are the reason why this change has occurred.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    ... meaning ability to receive and give out rep/post comments.
    Does it mean that he/she got that ability taken from him/her in the first place, or is it that people was not able to give out any rep to him/her?

People perceiving any and all negative rep they received as abuse are the reason why this change has occurred.
    Not all the negative rep they got.
    I, for one, actually thought a lot of the positive rep I got were not right either.

Years
  • Does it mean that he/she got that ability taken from him/her in the first place, or is it that people was not able to give out any rep to him/her?

Both.

Believe me, some people did. Spey stated numerous times that he would report every negative rep he got, and I'm sure many others did too.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I, for one, actually thought a lot of the positive rep I got were not right either.

Well, yeah, but I doubt that you reported it, because it is +rep. If I ask an admin how much reports were +rep, they will almost undoubtedly say "0."

This can also be answered with a simple reply that you got.
    negative rep != abuse. People perceiving any and all negative rep they received as abuse are the reason why this change has occurred.

But I don't know if it would be considered against the rules, unless someone considered +rep for no reason(or a +rep back +rep) "abuse."

Years
  • I'm actually quite happy with this change. One thing I've always detested about the reputation system is that it was always a spawn of greed and egotism, being popularity-driven by the green pips that would be on your post bit, there will be people who find themselves obsessive by it and will cry when they have negative reputation for any reason, have their friends rep them for no constructive reason, it's an easy abused system where its own point score overshadowed its potential, which led to it being heavily abused; that's the main reason it was disabled in 2005.

My impression of it being enabled this time round was for that accomplishing feeling of knowing you made a very well thought out and coherent post that has been recognised by others, or a post you could perhaps improve upon. At least with these changes made it will be more possible now for it to fulfil the purpose it was re-enabled for in the first place.

Years
  • My impression of it being enabled this time round was for that accomplishing feeling of knowing you made a very well thought out and coherent post that has been recognised by others, or a post you could perhaps improve upon. At least with these changes made it will be more possible now for it to fulfil the purpose it was re-enabled for in the first place.

I hope this is what actually happens, and that the system isn't simply forgotten about. My very first rep comment was for this post, with the comment "Excellent, excellent post", and that's the sort of comments that should be given out for posts. When the points system was in place I felt that the comment telling me that I'd made a good post was infinitely more important than the meaningless number that was added. It makes my contributions worthwhile when they're recognised like that, and if this system is used well I think we could see a boost in community morale, as it were, and a rise in the quality of posts.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Oh my god. Wonderful. Rep points have finally been disabled. \o/

Gone are the days of getting inane neg rep because someone doesn't like me. :D

That's a good thing too to be honest...It was getting pretty doggone annoying. One question though, is the system still anonymous? I hope not, since it'd be easier to see who's giving us the comment in case they flame.

But if it's still anonymous that's fine too. Hopefully this system will fix what ails this place.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • THANK GOODNESS!
    I think PokeCommunity will better themselves without the reputation clouding our eyes with it's evil ways, muahaha.
    But seriously, I think it is a good thing reputation was disabled, it makes the whole rumor going about "Having 2 or more Rep bars means higher chance at moderatorship" pretty much a load of bull eh?
    I'm glad, that was an annoying little rumor that was just plain untrue, and I like leaving little comments for people, so now I don't have to choose to give -rep or +rep!
    So I gotta say, thank you Staff, for making what I personally think, was a good choice!

EDIT

Say, does this mean we can finally ask for people to leave comments on our posts, to ask for, say, constructive criticism?)

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • THANK GOODNESS!
    I think PokeCommunity will better themselves without the reputation clouding our eyes with it's evil ways, muahaha.
    But seriously, I think it is a good thing reputation was disabled, it makes the whole rumor going about "Having 2 or more Rep bars means higher chance at moderatorship" pretty much a load of bull eh?
    I'm glad, that was an annoying little rumor that was just plain untrue, and I like leaving little comments for people, so now I don't have to choose to give -rep or +rep!
    So I gotta say, thank you Staff, for making what I personally think, was a good choice!
    Say what?! Did you just say that there was a rumor that said "Having 2 or more Rep bars means higher chance at moderatorship". AHAHAHAAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously...that's the um...dumbest thing I've ever heard in my entire time at PC. No offense to you man, I'm sure you're not the one who started that rumor. But AAAANYWAY~! It's good to see that the point system is gone. Now everyone can focus on what the rep system is best for! Minimodding! Giving constructive advice!

Years
  • But seriously, I think it is a good thing reputation was disabled, it makes the whole rumor going about "Having 2 or more Rep bars means higher chance at moderatorship" pretty much a load of bull eh?

o.o

You realise these were plenty of people who aren't moderators who had something like six, seven or eight green pips? There were people who had a rep number that had four digits but weren't on the staff. That rumour will always have been utter claptrap.

Zet

Years
  • Well I, for one, am disappointed with this change.

I wonder if the change will be reverted if I complain enough :P
    I actually have to agree with Amachi here, I as well am disappointed with the change.
    The whiny members won't grow any intelligence from some feedback with no catch to it. They'll just complain to someone at how wrong the person is/was with their comment about the post that was given feedback, so the only change here is that members can still cry over negative reputation with hidden pips. Bravo Sir, Bravo

inb4pipsreturn!

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • o.o

You realise these were plenty of people who aren't moderators who had something like six, seven or eight green pips? There were people who had a rep number that had four digits but weren't on the staff. That rumour will always have been utter claptrap.

I know, but this confirms it now doesn't it!
    (I never said I bought into it, don't bite my head of now, lol)

Years
  • I know, but this confirms it now doesn't it!
    (I never said I bought into it, don't bite my head of now, lol)

I never needed confirming in the first place. :I The higher staff basing decisions for new moderators on reputation even in part is the most idiotic thing ever. Moderator positions are handed out on the quality of a member's posts, their helpfulness, their demeanour etc. etc. Who the heck would even start or believe such a rumour? :|

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • I never needed confirming in the first place. :I The higher staff basing decisions for new moderators on reputation even in part is the most idiotic thing ever. Moderator positions are handed out on the quality of a member's posts, their helpfulness, their demeanour etc. etc. Who the heck would even start or believe such a rumour? :|

I dunno, I just heard it roaming around the forums, nothing much, as it doesn't mean anything, honestly I don't care, I was just stating something I heard, no need to go into great discussion over it, mkay?

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    I had a little over a thousand rep points and I'm the *furthest* thing from staff material there is. Rep was *intended* to be a system whereby people could tell at a glance by looking at somebody's postbit that they'd contributed to the community with posts that were intelligent, well written and above all; well received by the community at large. It was never supposed to be a popularity contest or a whizzing contest or a method of attack of "user moderation"; it was meant purely so you could tell in a very general sense the quality of a users contributions to the forum.
    But it didn't work this way; and it never will in the form it existed. People are greedy, selfish and need that status symbol ~ I'll admit; I got a giddy little thrill when I'd get another pip; it's true. And it's perfectly fine to be proud of the rep you've earned; but setting up a circle-jerk with your friends so you can all have high rep is..well...cheating. And so is not accepting valid criticism or critique of something you've written that isn't well received. Yes, there will always be controversial posts and yes you probably will get negative reputation for it; but imo the reputation received should have no bearing on you as a member whatsoever and merely should act as a barometer for the climate of any individual post.

I'm not fully in favour of the point system being removed entirely; I'll admit this. I think there should be a way for a user to be "rewarded" in some small part for making good and healthy contributions to the forum proper. But a single overarching number is no way to address it. I've been around a long time; forum-wise and I've seen implementations that vary from individual and visible post reputation (where each POST you make can have it's own reputation score but YOU have no score per se; just a chart in your profile that shows a % gradient of your quality posts) thru to the reputation system being used to generate in forum currency to purchase forum customizations. These are all valid systems and in the right hands so can be the numbered point score; but we don't have the right hands. We're not, as many will assure you; those other forums. We're The PokeCommunity; and we need a solution that works for our user-base. While I don't think we're there yet; I think this is definitely a step in the right direction.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • I think there should be a way for a user to be "rewarded" in some small part for making good and healthy contributions to the forum proper.

I agree with this statement entirely.
    I think users who make smart, whole heartedly good posts, and/or contribute to the further enrichment, and/or quality of the community, should receive something a little extra... of course, I guess it IS extra when you make 5000 posts and get the ability to post blogs, that just proves you are a good member, and managed to make 5000 posts without getting yourself booted from the community, am I right?

Years
  • I agree with this statement entirely.
    I think users who make smart, whole heartedly good posts, and/or contribute to the further enrichment, and/or quality of the community, should receive something a little extra... of course, I guess it IS extra when you make 5000 posts and get the ability to post blogs, that just proves you are a good member, and managed to make 5000 posts without getting yourself booted from the community, am I right?

I can think of a couple of people with over five thousand posts that have simply posted relentlessly and made little to no contribution to the community.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    I can think of a couple of people with over five thousand posts that have simply posted relentlessly and made little to no contribution to the community.
    Mostly this. Quantity != Quality; which is why if we reward for post number we really need to think of a future system to reward for quality of posts, also.

There is one remaining feature that aims to provide this, though it's not done by the members; only the staff. I do believe our achievements system, Emblems, should provide plentiful for this idea.
    Totally so; but it needs to be more actively implemented and monitored; I was here for over a year before someone realized "Oops, she should have the Sexy Ex Staff Emblem"; and even THEN it was because I pointed it out~

Back