• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reputation announcement feedback.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    I understand it's not automated; and that's obviously something that makes it so appealing because it feels more personal. But perhaps a consideration could be made for a small team of "Lesser Staff" who's job it is to just monitor the forum (obviously active users would be ideal) and submit users who they think meet requirements for certain emblems; and once a week some higher staff could action the backlog. Just a thought~

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • I understand it's not automated; and that's obviously something that makes it so appealing because it feels more personal. But perhaps a consideration could be made for a small team of "Lesser Staff" who's job it is to just monitor the forum (obviously active users would be ideal) and submit users who they think meet requirements for certain emblems; and once a week some higher staff could action the backlog. Just a thought~

Wow, you put a lot of thought into that.
    If there was a moderator nomination system I would put you up.
    (If you wanted it)
    But I think all that would cause is more hype, and more people going crazy about trying to get onto that 'team' of people who actively check people out, to see if they deserve emblems.
    They would be like Janitors... Sorry, 4chan speak, but I mean janitor as in a person who isn't of much influence on the staff team, but is still on staff, and still helps out.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    I'm totally going to be the first to say that the 4chan Janitor system is not without it's flaws; but the concept of "lesser staff" who may not even be known as being such *does* have it's merits. If the "nominators" are kept a secret from the community at large (ie, only they and the staff know who they are) then there's one less source of manipulation from the userbase; nobody knows who to suck up to for Emblem consideration because the identity of these members wouldn't be widely known. Conversely the issue with this is that there'll eventually be an "Us and Them" sort of mentality and I think we've done really well to minimize this so far so it's perhaps it's not worth risking it.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • To be honest, it was only a matter of time before it got disabled, all you people complaining about your negative rep's, look where that's gotten you?

And it wasn't only them, it was pretty obvious spam repping had returned, which got pretty out of control.

Glad you guys made the call, now hopefully PC can go back to the way it was a while ago.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • Let me just say how happy I am for this to finally happen.

Really, now, the staff have lives too, we can't just expect them to sit on their rears and watch over PC all day long, can we?

And, I personally think some users became rather...arrogant when they got a load of rep. I was lucky to find people with a lot of rep that weren't like that.

Anyhow, hope the complaints are minimal for this. Because as far as I'm concerned, this is the best thing ever.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • I'm totally going to be the first to say that the 4chan Janitor system is not without it's flaws; but the concept of "lesser staff" who may not even be known as being such *does* have it's merits. If the "nominators" are kept a secret from the community at large (ie, only they and the staff know who they are) then there's one less source of manipulation from the userbase; nobody knows who to suck up to for Emblem consideration because the identity of these members wouldn't be widely known. Conversely the issue with this is that there'll eventually be an "Us and Them" sort of mentality and I think we've done really well to minimize this so far so it's perhaps it's not worth risking it.

Yeah, that is true, the current community mentality is in an 'us' state, we don't want that to break up. (I think PC is like a real community, with people of all ages, and interests, coming together over one common likeness, POKEMON!... except there ARE a few people who DON'T like Pokemon I have seen, and are just here for other reasons, but still, here none the less!)
    But I don't think it would make much of a difference, so long as the rules are still enforced, and people keep cool about it, everything would be fine.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • this is a great idea! I think that it will work much better and now the mods and admins can actualy do other things to better the community.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • this is a great idea! I think that it will work much better and now the mods and admins can actualy do other things to better the community.

Yes well, unfortunately, the ideas of us common folk often o unheard upon the ears of the 'higher up'.
    All we can do now is hope the Administrative Committee hears our suggestions, I can almost guarantee one of them reads this, if it sounds like a good idea to them, it might happen.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I think this is a better system than the previous and to those who are secretely saddened by this announcement: you really only have yourselves to blame :(

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • GOODBYE NUMBERS I MISS YOU. ;_;

but not enough to want all the whining back. ugh. Still a bit annoyed at the people who "ruined" it for everyone else but at least we still have commenting which, imo, was the most important part anyway, so I'm pleased with all this. Now to sit back and wait for someone to work out how to abuse it. :'D

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • GOODBYE NUMBERS I MISS YOU. ;_;

but not enough to want all the whining back. ugh. Still a bit annoyed at the people who "ruined" it for everyone else but at least we still have commenting which, imo, was the most important part anyway, so I'm pleased with all this. Now to sit back and wait for someone to work out how to abuse it. :'D

Don't get them started lightning!
    XD
    If you provoke them, it will happen!

Years
    • Seen today
    It's better that all this has gone but couldn't you have just turned off negitive rep so that people would get points for the good things they say. Then when someone says something out of the way there is the comment system etc. That way there's no complaining about being gone and there's no complaints about negitive rep. People just get repped when they say something others agree with.
    Just a suggestion. Either way I support the staff's decsions.

Years
  • It's better that all this has gone but couldn't you have just turned off negitive rep so that people would get points for the good things they say. Then when someone says something out of the way there is the comment system etc. That way there's no complaining about being gone and there's no complaints about negitive rep. People just get repped when they say something others agree with.
    Just a suggestion. Either way I support the staff's decsions.

Rep abuse doesn't necessarily refer to negative rep only. See apple.SHAMPOO's comments regarding circle-jerks. xD

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Aw. :<

Personally, caving in to the request for it to be disabled wouldnt've been my choice;
    Maybe warnings or infractions for being a whiny little sod instead.

Anyway, a few questions about this 'new' system:

I noticed a few pages back that the notifications were removed... why? 0.o

Also, is the "You need to spread the reputation around before giving it to blahblah again" message still there?
    Seeing as it can't be abused for e-penis purposes I don't see the need.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Actually I wouldn't mind if the notification came back but... the notification was removed from the rep system originally because it brought it into the spotlight and more people whined after that. I guess I'm a bit worried people will still complain if more attention is brought to the system even in its current incarnation...

As for spreading it around, I don't think you need to anymore. :O

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Heh

I just now noticed when i saw the announcement
    i was like, "wai what? o:"

I don't really care, at least the comments are still there, Its nice to still have the feedback /sips tea ~u~

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Despite the fact that I enjoyed using the old system, this is a rather necessary step that must be taken. I am quite pleased with the news. The old system was so easily abused. People acted like complete fools and sure showed it by giving rep for blatantly wrong reasons, complaining about completely legit rep, etc. I'm glad we won't be seeing as many complaint threads about rep. Overall a great solution to this problem.

Years
  • But yeah, this new system is almost totally going to be ignored by 98% of the members.
    Even then, I'm hoping complains about comments that deal with flaming or insult of some sort can still be contested to an admin.

You know what? I honestly think that more people will start to pay attention to the comments. This is because what you say is all that counts, so people are more likely to use it for more constructive purposes. It allows for honest, private feedback which people can both contribute to and learn from without the implications of the ego-meters moving.

Say what you will, but I think it's an utterly brilliant change for the better.

Back