• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Nintendo is a little bit backwards?

Years
  • Aside from everything else they've been doing so far, the newest Switch update adds a recording feature for select games but this can only record 30 seconds at a time. Additionally, it's now possible to transfer save and user data to an another Switch console but doing so means that this data is no longer available on the previous Switch console. Aside from the fact that these two features really should have been available back when Switch launched, their method of implementation is just weird... Seems like Nintendo still wants to play by their own rules it seems...

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Nintendo has always played by their own rules. I'm surprised this feature was implemented at all to be honest! I love my Switch but it lacks basic features you'd expect consoles nowadays to have. The video capture is enabled for only 4 games, which is crap, but lets see where Nintendo goes from here.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Nintendo's always been a bit behind in terms of console features, but they put that effort towards innovation instead which is also good.

pkmin3033

Nintendo have the mindset of a toymaker, not an electronics company. As a toymaker they're fantastic, as an electronics company they're amongst the worst. It's both refreshing and frustrating that they regularly defy conventions in the video game industry to do their own thing, because they frequently bypass the worst the industry has to offer (mostly, they seem to have jumped onto the season pass/overpriced DLC bandwagon recently, and the Switch will eventually have paid online, so those are bad things) but introduce some thoroughly infuriating and just plain diabolical practices of their own.

I'm all for Nintendo doing their own thing, but they should AT LEAST adhere to good quality standards. Region locking the 3DS was unacceptable. The way they have handled every Virtual Console has been absolutely disgusting. Deliberate stock shortages with Amiibo and consoles to push up the desire of that product so stock sells later, disgusting and completely unwarranted gaps in release dates - they're by no means the only offender here, but we live in a global market and it's not acceptable - and as for the Switch...don't even get me started.

In a way Nintendo are worse than those AAA money-grubbing publishers, because they use their brilliant strokes to cover up some truly disgusting practices that would see other developers strung up and crucified in front of a mob. They have some of the strongest and most consistent IPs, and a generally good reputation, but they get away with so much shit its unbelievable.

But I wouldn't say they were backwards so much as I would say they're on a different train from the rest of us, which is subject to several delays, cancellations, and has a high fatality rate on the tracks. But most people get the train, and the scenery is nice, even if they don't end up at the right destination.

Years
    • Online now
    They seem behind because the main focus of their consoles are games, and other consoles are getting features way beyond that.

It's okay that they want to be more dedicated to games. It's not okay when they toss a gimmick onto everything. Imagine the 3DS, but not being able to turn the 3D off, and having the games revolve around using the 3D. That's where the Wii went wrong.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Nintendo has always played by their own rules. I'm surprised this feature was implemented at all to be honest! I love my Switch but it lacks basic features you'd expect consoles nowadays to have. The video capture is enabled for only 4 games, which is crap, but lets see where Nintendo goes from here.

I don't see how this is a problem. The whole point of a gaming system is to play games and the rest of the other features are just small bonuses. People will always blame Nintendo for anything that goes against their way, and yet it is largely unaffected towards Nintendo's business.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • As far as consumer treatment goes, it seems to me most japanese companies are stuck back 20-30 years ago.

Of course Nintendo isn't as bad as the other major console publisher, but they still have their backwards practices.

They hand out DCMAs like candy, to any and everything involving their IPs for one. The rollout of the two classic console and amiibos is simply unacceptable. No backwards compatibility is a big no in my book. And finally, most of their systems are based around some really gimmicky features.

They are much more supportive of cross-play, so that's a big box of extra points to them from me.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Ok Wii u wasn't anything massive, although no other consoles have a controller with a touchscreen tbf.

md528ba-ipad-mini-2_1.jpg

I think as of late, Nintendo revolves its consoles around a single concept - usually a gimmicky one - that doesn't always prove to be the right one (as evident by the motion controls of the Wii, the pad of the Wii U, and some schematic issues with the Switch.)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • As far as consumer treatment goes, it seems to me most japanese companies are stuck back 20-30 years ago.

Because somehow following in the footsteps of western companies by making graphically powerful yet half-finished games with in-game microtransactions are somehow "behind the times." Also, you're underestimating Japan.

Of course Nintendo isn't as bad as the other major console publisher, but they still have their backwards practices.

They hand out DCMAs like candy, to any and everything involving their IPs for one. The rollout of the two classic console and amiibos is simply unacceptable. No backwards compatibility is a big no in my book. And finally, most of their systems are based around some really gimmicky features.

They have every right to file DMCAs if people are using their IPs for profit and become popular. Not to mention, controversy from popular youtubers like Pewdiepie and data-dumping from review copies is why Nintendo has now become stricter with their demonetization. And you are correct, most of their systems are based around gimmicky features, and they actually innovated/standardize the gaming industry at their time.

I think as of late, Nintendo revolves its consoles around a single concept - usually a gimmicky one - that doesn't always prove to be the right one (as evident by the motion controls of the Wii, the pad of the Wii U, and some schematic issues with the Switch.)

And yet somehow the Switch defied all expectations from skeptics, whereas meanwhile things aren't looking too good about Sony followed by the news about them publishing their games on the Switch under a different label.

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Wait.... you actually reference ADOB for factual information? Awww that's cute!

Seriously though, I'm beyond satisfied with my (former :[ ) Xbone. Had great games that looked good, and most of the exclusives that launched were also on PC so not really exclusive (cause let's face it, exclusives are the most ass-backwards concept out there). Great user interface as well, not to mention it came standard with screen-shotting, recording, game suspension (I almost always end up plopped where I left off the night before in a game it's awesome!), and of course you don't have to type in stupid codes to add a friend! Also if you don't think Micro-transactions will grab Nintendo, you'd better lay off the Sake, because while it may not be nintendo rn, if memory serves Japan has been having a huge problem with MT infested mobile games. Only a matter of time before the big fish decide to capitalize!

On the DMCA front, man they do it to everything. I will say yes they have a right to nab anyone selling a product with their IPs, but going after youtubers? Next stop bad PR, after that lack of free advertising that these creators bring. Meanwhile in the western world, I'm pretty excited about a fan made Halo game for the PC that got the both Msoft's and 343s blessing as long as they don't claim 343/msoft are associated or try to sell the game. New audience = More people likely to invest in the real product.

Did I mention that the switch is basically my Nvidia shield tablet but with less cool games (like Half-Life 2 baby YEAH!) so their idea certainly isn't anything with a semblance of originality or innovation. If you want to claim they did it better than the previous attempts, sure I'll give you that.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Oh yeah definitely, but they sell it as being gimmicky. It's good that some things worked and changed the market (motion control, touch screen), but they've also made some half-assed decisions that we shouldn't be accepting as consumers, but hey, who is stopping them?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I mean I don't exactly understand how you can say Nintendo isn't doing something extremely right with the Switch considering its appeal and success right now lol.

It's a highly attractive, convenient system with an already good library that was smartly marketed. It's not complicated. The minimalist approach with its interface is also a boon than a bane, their online features aside. The faster UI helps a lot to make it as appealing as possible as a machine that you can just easily pick up and play.

It's the very opposite of the Wii U.

Last edited:
    Back