• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most annoying Anime mistakes/inconsistenties

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
  • So, I was just watching episode 25 of the Sun and Moon Anime, and Jessie's Mimikyu, hit an Alolan Raticate with Shadow Claw? How did that happen? Raticate is Normal/Dark. It shouldn't have hit. I can't comprehend why this continues to happen.

So what are the most annoying anime Mistakes and Inconsistenties you have seen? The most annoying for me is the battle Between Ash and Tate and Liza. It was FILLED with mistakes and bullshit, it's just so annoying.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Thunder Armour, aim for the horn and 5+ movesets are the worst offenders for me.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't at all mint the 5+ movesets - that was just a game mechanic to make battles interesting, to begin with. But "aim for the horn" is seriously blergh. And Pikachu defeating an Onix with electricity... Even if it was wet, it's still literally grounded, idek.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • Any mistakes that 4Kids made in the dub such as mistaking a Growlithe for Arcanine, Dexter saying that the Sun Stone evolves Gloom into Vileplume and the infamous "Arbok evolves into Seviper."

I remember in the episode May's Eggcellent Adventure, May's Munchlax gets confused after getting hit by a Petal Dance. That bothered me ever since I first saw it. The move doesn't work like that because it's the user that gets confused after a few turns, not the opponent.

What always annoyed me is when Rock gets mistaken for being strong against or immune to Electric (such as in All Things Bright and Beautifly). The only reason some Rock types are immune is because they're part Ground type. Ironically, some Ground types ended up getting hit by Electric attacks countless times in the anime.

I'm not sure if it counts as a mistake or inconsistency, but the appearance of Tri Attack when it was used by Jackson's Magneton in Tie One On! has always bothered me. It's animation is just a white glowing triangle unlike the games' animations that depict it hitting with fire, ice and electricity. When I first saw an Alolan Dugtrio use the move in a recent Sun/Moon episode, I thought "THAT'S how it's supposed to look!"

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Thunder Armour, aim for the horn and 5+ movesets are the worst offenders for me.

Nope. Shadow ball did nothing. But after that, it hit the Raticate with Shadow claw, and then it finished up with play rough. Wood Hammer wasn't used at all.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Nope. Shadow ball did nothing. But after that, it hit the Raticate with Shadow claw, and then it finished up with play rough. Wood Hammer wasn't used at all.

This is Shadow Claw:
    Spoiler:

This is Wood Hammer:
    Spoiler:

James even points out that Wood Hammer was used and one can tell this because he uses the phrase; ud?dohanmaa. If it was Shadow Claw, it would have been shadookuroo.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • I was a bit late to correct this LOL... Frozocrone too the rescue XD

Things like 5+ moves and just yelling dodge will make a 100% move miss... or moves like agility actually raising a Pokemon's evasiveness. Those stuff makes sense in a world not limited by the rules of a game for balance. Heck learning a move in the anime is different from a pokemon actually mastering it. Think Ash teaching rockruff to use rock throw or Ash helping Hawlucha perfect his flying press.

What slays me are stuff like Aim for the horn and the Thunder armor... OMFG Thunder armor almost made me drop the anime because of how insane that was...

SuMo haven't had any move mistakes so far tho... again great job by frozocrone explaining the difference between the two moves.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • This is Shadow Claw:
    Spoiler:

This is Wood Hammer:
    Spoiler:

James even points out that Wood Hammer was used and one can tell this because he uses the phrase; ud?dohanmaa. If it was Shadow Claw, it would have been shadookuroo.

I see, thanks. The translation I watched had Ghost Hammer. It didn't look like Wood Hammer, so I assumed it was Shadow Claw, but that makes sense.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    What annoys me is how Ash shifts from experienced and strong in one series to acting over-excited and making rookie mistakes in another series. I understand resetting him to a degree because it's a new series and he's supposed to be the same age each time, but it's still annoying to see.

Guest123_x1

One of the things that annoyed me about the anime was how sometimes, type match-ups during battle would play out incorrectly. The biggest examples of this scenario would be how Pikachu's electric attacks would affect Ground-type Pok?mon, particularly Thunder taking out Raymond's Golem in Mewtwo Strikes Back, and the infamous "aim for the horn" incident.

What always annoyed me is when Rock gets mistaken for being strong against or immune to Electric (such as in All Things Bright and Beautifly). The only reason some Rock types are immune is because they're part Ground type. Ironically, some Ground types ended up getting hit by Electric attacks countless times in the anime.
    Once I read through the type chart in the game manuals for Blue and Yellow, I understood what the situation really was about. The only Rock-types from Generation I that weren't part-Ground, however, were all weak to Electric (those being the then-five Fossil Pok?mon: Omanyte/Omastar and Kabuto/Kabutops were part-Water, and Aerodactyl was part-Flying).
    Further complicating matters of Rock vs. Ground was that the Jr. Trainer in the Pewter Gym in R/G/B/Y used pure-Ground Pok?mon (Sandshrew and Diglett), which do not resist Normal-type attacks, whereas Brock's Pok?mon do.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    Electric types hitting Ground types, aim for the horn, Pokemon saying their names, Thunder Armor, Ash's Pikachu getting beaten by a Snivy, more than 4 attacks, Ash being awesome and then in the next series being a noob (gen. IV to gen. V).

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • We have seen more cases of this. Normal Moves hitting Ghost types (May's Squirtle vs Harley's Banette) and Psychic types hitting dark types (Psyduck vs Poochyena)

Years
  • Ash's Pikachu getting beaten by a Snivy

This is why Best Wishes was bullshit, and the real start of the ratings going into freefall. Those I also blame it on Team Rocket turning serious, because as we learned, Japanese audiences prefer slapstick rather than dark, serious plots. It's Japan's love of slapstick that also caused Yo-Kai Watch to blow up in popularity, and in turn cause Pokemon to have to change its entire format solely to please the slapstick-preferred crowd.

Ash being awesome and then in the next series being a noob (gen. IV to gen. V).

Don't forget Ash going from being awesome in XY to being a joke in Sun & Moon as well, but not for the same controversy in Best Wishes. Ash didn't reset in Alola, but his personality unfortunately took a complete 180 and he's now acting way too much like a hyperactive kid, with endless amounts of slapstick forced onto him.

Again, blame Japan being fans of slapstick humour. Remember that XY had more serious plots than any other series of the anime, and this proved disastrous in the ratings figures in Japan, the lowest of any Pokemon generation to date.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2018
    The Pokemon anime is a mistake in general.

But, just to answer the topic: Ash not knowing Dusclops is a ghost, Wulfric's Mega Abomasnow implied to be stronger than Diantha's Mega Gardy (because Ash's Greninja had a better match against Obamasnow), Thunder Armor, Charizard falling asleep during battle, Pikachu losing to a level 5 Snivy, Ash not turning 11, him not catching a legendary etc.

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • The Pokemon anime is a mistake in general.

But, just to answer the topic: Ash not knowing Dusclops is a ghost, Wulfric's Mega Abomasnow implied to be stronger than Diantha's Mega Gardy (because Ash's Greninja had a better match against Obamasnow), Thunder Armor, Charizard falling asleep during battle, Pikachu losing to a level 5 Snivy, Ash not turning 11, him not catching a legendary etc.

I don't see what's wrong with him not catching a legendary. If anything, that would have been bullcrap

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    This is why Best Wishes was bull****, and the real start of the ratings going into freefall. Those I also blame it on Team Rocket turning serious, because as we learned, Japanese audiences prefer slapstick rather than dark, serious plots. It's Japan's love of slapstick that also caused Yo-Kai Watch to blow up in popularity, and in turn cause Pokemon to have to change its entire format solely to please the slapstick-preferred crowd.

Don't forget Ash going from being awesome in XY to being a joke in Sun & Moon as well, but not for the same controversy in Best Wishes. Ash didn't reset in Alola, but his personality unfortunately took a complete 180 and he's now acting way too much like a hyperactive kid, with endless amounts of slapstick forced onto him.

Again, blame Japan being fans of slapstick humour. Remember that XY had more serious plots than any other series of the anime, and this proved disastrous in the ratings figures in Japan, the lowest of any Pokemon generation to date.
    I didn't watch Sun and Moon yet so I can't judge it now. But from what I saw from the design I expect that I wull not like his personality.

I don't see what's wrong with him not catching a legendary. If anything, that would have been bullcrap
    When the Pok?mon anime was new fans expected Ash to catch all 150 Pok?mon since that was his initial goal. But yes now how the anime is it would bull**** Ash catching a legendary.

*cough*Tobias*cough*

Years
  • I didn't watch Sun and Moon yet so I can't judge it now. But from what I saw from the design I expect that I wull not like his personality.

I watched the first two episodes when they were released in November as a sneak peek, and I can warn you that while Ash has acted childish in previous sagas, in Sun & Moon the childishness is cranked up to 11. He now overreacts at everything he sees, and the characters now have extremely horrifying facial expressions.

Heck, there was even an episode showing a close-up of Ash's uvula (that thing in the month) having a face. It's extremely creepy. Sun & Moon loves forcing the slapstick humour to a huge degree to the point Ash will never spend an episode without having a derp moment or a Pokemon randomly attacking him.

Some people do like it, but I personally don't because I consider it bad writing.

Also, this series has already been showing inconsistencies with the Sun & Moon games, most notably the prospect that the concept Trial Captains don't exist in the anime universe, since Ilima was completely left out of SM009 and Hala (who is Melemele's Kahuna) acted in that role instead.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I watched the first two episodes when they were released in November as a sneak peek, and I can warn you that while Ash has acted childish in previous sagas, in Sun & Moon the childishness is cranked up to 11. He now overreacts at everything he sees, and the characters now have extremely horrifying facial expressions.

Heck, there was even an episode showing a close-up of Ash's uvula (that thing in the month) having a face. It's extremely creepy. Sun & Moon loves forcing the slapstick humour to a huge degree to the point Ash will never spend an episode without having a derp moment or a Pokemon randomly attacking him.

Some people do like it, but I personally don't because I consider it bad writing.

Also, this series has already been showing inconsistencies with the Sun & Moon games, most notably the prospect that the concept Trial Captains don't exist in the anime universe, since Ilima was completely left out of SM009 and Hala (who is Melemele's Kahuna) acted in that role instead.
    There was also this scene where they showed Ash's butt moving.. it was awful, really.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019

That sounds terrible especially the part of Ash's uvula having a face. I didn't like the absence of Trial Captains aswell. I think I will hate Yo Kai Watch even more.

Years
  • There was also this scene where they showed Ash's butt moving.. it was awful, really.

Ah yes, this pic was horrifying indeed. I knew how controversial twerking was, and having it exposed to kids like that was surely going to make my reaction not be pretty.

That sounds terrible especially the part of Ash's uvula having a face. I didn't like the absence of Trial Captains aswell. I think I will hate Yo Kai Watch even more.

Pinkie-Dawn (a user who compared my Sun & Moon rants to his own rants about post-haircut Serena) said that other shows focus on slapstick, but Yo-Kai Watch posing as a huge threat to Pokemon's popularity in Japan caused slapstick to become more prominent and raised my concerns about Pokemon losing its identity by changing its formula.

That uvula face scene was likely done for comedy, but it definitely never made me laugh.

But back onto the inconsistencies topic, omitting the Trial Captains was a huge mistake by the writing team, because this was meant to be a unique feature to Alola and it's likely going to be so sad we won't have it showcased. We had Mallow, Kiawe, Lana and Sophocles rewritten into being in Ash's group while Ilima was forgotten entirely, and now both Mina and Acerola will likely face the same fate unless if they have a different purpose to write them in for.

Having the Kahunas step in for Trial Captains was awful, especially since how I dread Akala's trials will play out... Olivia overlooking what is going to be three trials is a no-no to me. If both Type: Null and Nebby aren't used here, then we know that there is a real problem. This series seems to be adapting out every part of the Sun & Moon games in favour of inserting forced humour, and that is a reason why this anime was not meant to be my cup of tea.

Ash's design already turned me off from watching Sun & Moon after seeing the first two episodes, and the omitting of notable game plots has made SM more likely to seal its fate as another "dork age" of the anime.

Back