• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Will max raid battles be in the main story?

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
  • I think maybe they will be in the main story, because they want to show you how it works.
    I just hope NSO isn't required to play Sword/Sheild because of it.

Years
  • ehhhhhh i dunno. I don't really think so; I think they'll be more of a thing the player would probably do whenever they have the free time to.

like I can see some NPC showing you how it works, but I don't think it'll be an obligatory part of the plot or anything.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Doubt it considering NSO. Pokemon's never had paid DLC in the past like that, doubt they'd make it a requirement to...play the game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    I'm sure it'll be there. The website says if you can't find anyone to help you, you'll get 3 random NPC trainers to join you, so it definitely works as an offline feature as well. Seems weird to have such a feature in the games, but not include them in the main story. Plus, max raid battles are wild dynamaxed Pokemon, and considering Sonia is researching the dynamaxing phenomenon, it'd just be plain odd to omit this from the main story. The other three trainers to join the max raid battle in the story campaign could easily be the NPC's introduced to you in the main story, such as Hop, and the other two rumored rivals. Since only one trainer can dynamax their Pokemon during these battles, it'll obviously be the main player. It just seems to fit way too easily into place to not be included.

Doubt it considering NSO. Pokemon's never had paid DLC in the past like that, doubt they'd make it a requirement to...play the game.
    Max raid battles aren't locked behind a paid NSO subscription

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It may be used for a late-game battle, maybe with a Pokémon controlled by a villain. If we get two more rivals, then you and your three rivals could team up to fight it and give you a chance to catch it. Maybe for the mascot legendary?

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2022
    We can say with certainty that you'll max raid battle in the story at least once just to show you how it works.

However, with a tiny bit of speculation, I can theorize that wild dynamaxed pokemon will play a much bigger role in the story.
    The cities of Galar are enormous. More specificly, the walls are enormous. Not only do we hardly ever see a walled off city in pokemon, but the walls are much higher than they need to be. We can see from the shots of the wild area that only the tallest buildings are visible over the walls. However there are many towns that don't have walls, like the starting town. So what do the steampunk city and the dragon city have in common?
    They're both adjacent to the wild area, where wild dynamaxed pokemon come from. Yes, I posit that sword and shield will go full pacific rim and require you to defend the cities from wild dynamaxed pokemon emerging from portals in the wild area. I'm unsure whether these are Galar natives dynamaxed by the portals, or foreign invaders. They did say that some pokemon can only be found in max raid battles.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I reckon it'll be plugged quite heavily into the main story. Mega evolutions and Z moves were heavily tied into their respective regions stories as well so I don't see why they'd change that now.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I think it could. In the first trailer we saw a drawing in the side of a hill, with small things and a very large one - sounds like a reference to Dynamax to me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • well damn i hope it's not like raid battles in go. where do they think i'm going to get friends from????? am i supposed to pull them out of my ears like.............i'm lonely, gamefreak. don't make me socialize

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • well damn i hope it's not like raid battles in go. where do they think i'm going to get friends from????? am i supposed to pull them out of my ears like.............i'm lonely, gamefreak. don't make me socialize

If you can't find 3 other people the game gives you 3 AI trainers

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Yeah, I can absolutely see them doing it for the main story, imagine if they went and did something similar to the Red Gyarados from Gen 2, and made it a byproduct of an evil teams plan?

Back