• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game] The A&D Retype Challenge! (Voting Thread)

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Welcome to the A&D Retype challenge!

In the last month, 20 people have send in a submission for the retype challenge, and now that it's May, it's time to start voting!

The challenge was simple, give one of the three original starters a new typing, that isn't water, fire or grass. Any other type is allowed, and any kind of visual art is allowed entry.

How do I vote?
    Voting is done by filling out the form below:
    PHP:
    [b]Favorite piece:[/b]

[b]Honorable mentions:[/b]

A favourite piece is worth 3 points, but you can only choose one favourite piece. A Honorable mention is worth 1 point, and you can choose up to 4 pieces for this one. So the maximum of pieces to vote for is 5. Just put the numbers of the entries after the category title.
    For example:

Favorite piece: 1

Honorable mentions: 2, 3, 4, 5

The artists themselves can vote too, they are, however, not allowed to vote for their own submission. You are allowed to add as much to the vote post as you want. Go ahead and critique/praise all the wonderful entries, just make sure you vote with the correct format.

Before we start, I am going to make a honourable mention. Foxrally's retype is not accepted, as it still includes the fire type, but I love it enough to at least show it in this thread:
    E0VUmBb.gif

When does voting end?
    Voting can be done up till 14 May 2015.

The entries:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • So here I am, voting!

Favorite piece: has to be the Ghost-type Bulbasaur, piece #13 (since I can't vote on my own of course :P)

Honorable mentions: pieces 15, 12, 11 and 3

It was close between piece 13 and 12, since 12 has so much thought put into it, with the egg moves, shiny version and so on. But I really find something in 13 stands out to me, and therefore it gets 3 points from me!

Last edited:

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Oooh, all of the entries look so good ^^

Favorite piece: 16. The art style is just so good, I loved it at first sight. The jewels are really cool too <3

Honorable mentions: 15, 18, 12 and 11. Creepysaur is actually a pretty good fusion :D

But of course, my amazing gif is the best of all.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    Years
  • These all look pretty cool!

Favorite piece: 8

I'm a sucker for old-school sprites, and this guy looks awesome.

Honorable mentions: 9, 13

Years
  • Favorite piece:
    15. Brings across its new type in a rather unique way that still works really well.

Honorable mentions:
    10. Love the concept.
    13. Ooo. It actually does creep me out a bit, that's good.
    14. The sparkler for a tail is a really nice touch.
    16. Definitely a pretty and well-done piece. :)

Ahhh so many neat concepts in here, it's a bit tough deciding on them!

Etherion

Honorable mentions: 15, 16, 18, 19

Years
  • Favorite piece: Number 13 - Ghost Bulbasaur: I love this dearly departed Bulbasaur. Not only is the art itself really well made but that semi-transparent body, the ghost vines, ominous glowing eyes and the decomposing bulb really embrace the new typing whilst still stay recognisable as a Bulbasaur.

Honorable mentions: 9, 12, 14, 15

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Wait, how long does voting last?

Owh, good that you mention it, I completely forgot to add that. Voting will last two weeks, so 14 May is when the lines close. I'll update the OP.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Favorite piece:
    #19: Both the design and the spriting is well done. Those poison clouds look very realistic.

Honorable mentions:
    #13, a very close second: The transparency of the body looks so awesome, and all those vines coming from the half-rotten bulb fit great.
    #9: Simple, but really effective. Even with its turtle shell, it looks like a creepy bug, with a fitting facial expression.

Years
  • Favorite piece: 13

Honorable mentions: 19, 17, 12, 5

It was actually really hard to pick just 5. They are all really awesome. Its interesting to see how everyone changed the pokemon.... I dont think I'll ever see bulbasaur the same again :P

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Favorite piece:
    #15. I love the colour scheming. And it seems pretty relevant!

Honorable mentions:
    #2 Love the ice cream, it's so cute!
    #9 I think the male/female Horn Attack/Wing Attack thing is super neat. It would give the future evolutions a cool twist!
    #18 I just thought the design looked really neat with the eyes. Like a mask!
    #19 The pixel work is really well done, I love the highlights.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Favorite piece: 13

Honorable mentions: 2, 11, 15, 19

Incredibly Incredibly tough! Well done to everyone who participated - it was so hard to choose!
    I was contemplating between 11 and 13, but 13 kinda scored it for me. I absolutely loved the way implemented it's rotten and torn apart bulb - not to mention the insides of the bulb gave me a little shiver. The veins in conjunction with ghost bulbasaur's skeletal body really got to me as being my favourite.

Years
  • Favorite Piece: 12

Honorable Mentions: The rest of them!

Everyone did a great job imo! But I thought poison type Squirtle was really well designed, and was a really believable poison type, (while still obviously being squirtle) so I went with it as the victor.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Favourite piece: 13

Honourable mentions: 16, 19, 18, 3

This certainly was a hard choice! I've studied each piece of art for a while and I just love #13, for reasons that have already been stated. The translucent skin and the veins it reveals was a nice touch! I also love the wilted bulb and the black vines coming from it. c:

I was torn between #13 and #16! But my dark side made me choose #13, I suppose. :D I love the Fairy-type Bulbasaur's colours and the lacy bulb tied with ribbon, not to mention those gems speckled over it. :3 I've downloaded both these pieces, eheh.

As for #19, it has an interesting design and lovely pixel art, especially the detail on the toxic clouds! I'm a sucker for pixels so this had to be on my list. x3 #18 looks great for a Psychic-type - I love what the creator did with the vines! I would so catch this Pokemon in the wild! And finally, for #3 I thought it was cute! The colours and pixels are done well too imo.

You all did so great, and if it were my choice, I'd give the winning emblem to all of you!

Aleister

Will-o'-the-wisp
    Years
  • Favourite piece: 11
    Honourable mentions: 9, 12, 15

Well, it was a hard choice. I had a difficulties between #9, #11 and #15 but finally I thought that Poison Squirtle is better. I want to see fakemon sprite in some hack, I'm curious if somebody will make it.
    Honourable: These I don't put as favourite piece and #12, which is cool too (but I think some part of thos sprite can be slightly improved). Mentioning my own work is inappropriate (I'm proud of it :D), so, instead I say - we all did great job ;).

Back