• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chaptered fic posting

bobandbill

one more time
Years
For those who write fics with chapters in them - do you post a chapter the moment it is ready to go, or do you try a buffer of a few chapters before posting anything (or indeed get the whole fic written up before posting it)? On that note, how do you plan your story too - do you get the whole basis written up before writing or just write as you go and see where it takes you?

I usually just post when I have something done myself, although atm I'll actually have a buffer quite likely given I may be splitting up a chapter at the rate I'm going. As for plans, I went a good while without only a vague outline in my head of what will happen only to hit a hiatus (but not just because of the fic itself but various other reasons), and then last year wrote up a plan for the rest which I think has helped me continue my fic - certainly been more productive this year with it compared to last year! But what about you?

Bay

Years
All of the chaptered fics I have posted so far I got the rough draft of the whole story done and then I would edit each chapter before posting them. I guess part of the reason is I tend to change things around a lot with my stories even after I get a few chapters written already and I can easily see which parts need total rework or just a bit of tweeking. To be honest I don't think I can imagine myself posting a chaptered fic without the whole fic finished. @_@

As for planning, I tend to think the beginning and end while the middle I leave it wide open and come up what will happen when I get to that point. Sometimes I would changes plans if I thought up better ideas over the execution of the scenes.

Charlie Kelly

King of the Rats
Years
I don't share things until I have written at least 4 chapters, and I like to keep that 3-chapter buffer going if possible.

As for how I plan my writing: I think up 100 or so scenes in my head that I find interesting, and then try write in a way that all the scenes can happen in a logical order, filling in all the blanks with how my characters get to those events. Like connect-the-dots.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I get the whole fic written first before posting. That means a rough draft, and edited version, a typed version that gets a read-through, and then a pre-posting on a smaller site to get reviews that might point out something to change.

This is why I haven't posted anything in years. I'm stuck on the first phase for all my fics.

As for planning the story, I get a set of characters in my mind, and come up with an ending point I want them to reach. How they get there gets no prodding for me. I just observe them and write down what happens.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I tend to chuck things out as soon as they're done. If I go on a writing binge and write several chapters in a week or two, I'll hold them back in reserve for a bit, as I generally don't like to post more than one a week. It's nice to have a buffer then, but it never really lasts that long. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2012
After writing up a basic chapter-by-chapter plot summary (e.g., "Chapter 1: They set out on their adventure. Chapter 2:..."), I often find that I'm inspired to write chapters out of order, so it's easier for me if I can maintain a fairly long buffer. However, sometimes I get impatient and post stuff too fast...

Back