• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokélections 2015

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Q4 - It depends on just how delicious Pokémon can be, and if we rely on them so much for nutrition – in this berry filled world of ours however this is not as large an issue. Pokémon are fantastic creatures to work with, and I'd rather not eat useful tools. Would you want to eat your spanner, or your computer? Without Pokémon we can hardly continue many of our great advances.

Of course, some parts of Pokemon, such as MooMooMilk, are great for people. And other Pokémon, like Farfetch'd, are dang delicious... but they are endangered. In these cases as long as we don't wipe out species, the farming of such Pokémon by-products and indeed products is something I feel should continue. Until we run out of non-Pokémon 'animals' though, I don't imagine we should allow consumption of creatures we can better utilise. Cows suck at battling.

Q5 - Yes, unless these Pokémon are wrecking havoc on their own, and hence require intervention which may include the capture of these creatures. I say this because such creatures in the wrong hands can be devastating. And these creatures do not simply allow those who are 'worthy' to capture them. Look at the likes of Galactic, who captured the legendary Pixie Pokémon of the Sinnoh lakes, and tried to use the Pokémon of Space and Time! Or the Magma and Aqua folks who tried to merely wake up Groudon and Kyogre respectively, and how close the region of Hoenn came to utter destruction. And they were well-meaning groups, if utterly misguided!

No, we absolutely cannot allow people to capture or interfere with these beasts, and I even argue that these new champions who have captured them should release their legendaries and let nature govern by itself in this case. We do not want to risk any supposed well-meaning groups to wield such power. Besides, we don't want to risk any trainer with a legendary Pokémon attacking our new government system!

Q6 - As a result of our takeover of these mega-corporations, we will naturally take the running of PokéCentres and the likes into our hands. Fortunately, being a government entity taxes from any sales made by such companies can be used to keep the well-loved Pokémon Centre system we have free for all users. You'll be happy, I'll be happy, we keep a working employment system and a vital mechanism of our society happy – everyone wins!

Years
- In the Pokémon regions, there is usually one big corporation that has a monopoly on everything Pokémon-related in that region. The pre-eminent example of this is Silph Co, who owns, patents and sells almost every usable item a trainer comes across in their journey, regardless of what region they come from. They control the production, supply and demand, pushing Pokémon as a way of life and being, for all intents and purposes, the leaders of the known world. However, with the rise of an elected government (you), things will have to be changed. The world as we know it cannot be run by a corporation. How will you and your party deal with these super-corporations? As the democratic power of the land, how will you mange your own influence with the all-reaching grasp of Silph Co?

Well, there is no way to completely balance out the power of company's. In my eyes, I see Silph Co. having a great effect on the economy. They, along with a few other large corporations, provide tens of thousands of jobs. The best way to control the situation is to embrace them, but limit them. Put more security and checks on all products coming in and out, and set a minimum wage. By having a minimum wage, Silph Co. will no longer be able to pay for as many workers, forcing people to start and join other companies. More companies mean there will be more balance. Not everybody will be buying products and relying on Silph Co., reducing their influence and effect on the common people.

- Why is there such economic, ecological and technological disparity between the regions? How will you ensure the growth of a region like Kanto to achieve the same level of development as Unova, or Kalos?

One of the reasons, is simply money. Outside of the surrounding areas near Silph Co., people are rather poor in their standards. However, the people may not like more factories and labs. They will cause pollution and upset nature. Instead, we can try to increase the amount of shipments coming in to the less developed regions. Over time, I wouldn't be surprised to see everything even out more.

- Rare candies are a wonder drug that pushes a Pokémon to its physical and psychological limits in order to get stronger instantly. It is currently marketed as a medicine, despite there being no legal supplier of the substance. As such, it is almost impossible to control the flow of this substance. It is made and supplied purely by home labs, using a difficult procedure and rare compounds in order to make the final product. However, rising reports of rare candy labs burning down due to dangerous chemicals going rapidly unstable have caught the attention of your government - for the sake of your people and their Pokémon, something must be done. Also, recent studies have shown that rare candies contain all the same properties as crystal meth. It is essentially a high powered meth for Pokémon and once addiction starts, is almost impossible to break loose from. What will your government do to control this drug trade? Bear in mind that currently, rare candies are not illegal, due to there being no government force before you in the land. But you will have free rein to handle this drug trade as you wish.

It will be illegal. It is not only dangerous for the people making it, but wild Pokemon and possibly neighbors. If a house catches on fire, depending on the size, the surrounding area could easily be set ablaze. My suggestion is to substantially increase the size of the police force. Double or even triple the size. Train more Pokemon that are able to sniff out the drug and nip suppliers in the bud. I also recommend having more research conducting how over time, training your Pokemon naturally will make them stronger in the long run. It's slower, but much more effective in my eyes. A pokemon with a stronger bond is a stronger Pokemon.

- Should human consumption of Pokémon be made illegal? Can there be exceptions?

People are unable to only live off of plants and vegetables. It's hard to digest all of the natural nutrients and such. To protect the Pokemon population, there will be a list of illegal Pokemon to hunt or cook and eat. Then common Pokemon, such as Magikarp and Miltank will be legal to eat.

- Should there be a ban on catching legendary Pokémon, as they are essentially the gods that keep our universe intact?

No. Unless there is a reason to take a legendary Pokemon away from a trainer, then we shouldn't. As long as everything that legend is in charge of is okay, I am okay with it. If a trainer has the ability to capture a legendary Pokemon, they deserve that Pokemon.

- Why is healthcare left in the hands of previously mentioned mega-corporations? Should hospitals, and more importantly, PokéCenters, be nationalised? This would require customers to pay a very small fee to use facilities, but it would mean that your government now has control over the healthcare system. Or are you content to leave things as they are?

As said before, there has been no issue regarding this subject. Until a specific problem is noticed, the current system is perfectly fine. It's kind of like "Why fix it if it isn't broken?"

Etherion

I would encourage other entrepreneurs to establish their own businesses in order for the Sinnoh citizens to rapt their attention toward more possibilities rather than just one.

development
I would give focus to technological advancement by hiring more scientists and by implanting more research centers in Hoenn

rare candy
Send in more security forces and train them to use machineries or Pokemon to locate high usage of the drug

Pokémon consumption
Absolutely no! Pokémon are special beings and they will be treated as special as they are!

Legendary

I will allow the capturing of the legendaries but only if the deity wishes to go with a master/trainer

healthcare
During my reign, I shall legalize free healthcare both for Pokemon and humans

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
Username: Delta
Party: United Johto party
Slogan: "United people, United decisions, United Johto"

It will be illegal to eat Pokemon as I wish to encourage a healthy relationship between trainer and Pokemon, not "be good or I fry you"

No there will be no ban on legendary Pokemon catching, but I will ban the use of masterballs other instant capture balls as there is no reason that a Pokemon should be forced to be capture with a ball without a chance of escaping. That is cruel and inconsiderate, if you want to catch a legendary or normal Pokemon you will have to use an pokeball other than a masterballs

The pokecenters will remain as they are now, the health care is free, available to all and most importantly very good. So it will remain as it is, but if the reports say the standards have dropped or the services I will take control and nationalise it, but I intend for it to be a free system funded by taxes and donations

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Round three! I imagine there'll only be one more round of questions after these, as it's getting close to the end of the Olympics and what not.

These questions will deal with scenarios that will not likely happen in the bubbly world of Pokémon, but I think it's interesting to replicate real life scenarios within this world.

- In this scenario, you have been elected into government. A Growlithe was shot and killed by an Officer Jenny after she deemed it as a threat and has been cleared of wrongdoing by a court, despite outsider video footage of the situation showing that the Growlithe in question was not of any risk to her. This is the most recent example of Jennies using their power in highly questionable, volatile ways and there are now mass protests from citizens in your major cities.
What would your government do in this scenario?

- Kanto has long laid claim to the Sevii Islands by virtue of them being close to the region, but the islands (in this scenario) are primarily inhabited by Hoennien citizens/people of Hoenn descent who wish to have the islands recognised as an extension of Hoenn. Kanto refuses to let go of the claim to these islands, citing sovereignty due to geographical closeness. In return, Hoenn has declared they will do what they must to protect their citizens from what they see as an illegal aggressor. If the situation is not defused soon, conflict may erupt. How will your government attempt to solve this crisis before hell breaks loose? If negotiations fail, then what?

All candidates must answer from the perspective of their own region.

Years
Alright gonna answer the first set of questions!

1. Regardless of their intentions, corporations are inherently corrupt due to their ability to accumulate power rivaling nations, and a lack of democratic inauguration. However, in a capitalistic society like the Pokemon world, individualism and success based in work are paramount values. Corporations have the right to exist, but must be kept in check. As president I would focus on trust busting and breaking monopolies so as to keep the market free for startups and smaller businesses. Corporations that provide good and fair services like Pokecenter Co. or Poke Mart Inc. can continue to be allowed their corner and market, but those with illegal or nefarious intentions like Galactic Industries must be put in their place.

2. Unfortunately, regions are blessed or cursed with or without natural resources. Unova is a technological center, Kalos has beautiful tourist destinations, and Sinnoh offers copious amounts of raw materials. Regions like Kanto and Johto are much less developed. To help ensure success for these struggling regions, I propose a Land Ordinance. As many know housing in Kalos and Unova has reached astronomical rates due to demand, yet Kanto and Johto offer similar beauty. A Land Ordinance reducing the cost of land in Kanto and Johto would encourage settlement and thus industry in these regions, without demanding large amounts of citizen taxdollars to be put forth in a Stimulus.

3. The first step to limiting rare candies is to ban both their usage and production. Those who buy the most toxic chemicals used in its production will be kept on a list, and those members who continue in shady purchases may end up being investigated. Those caught in the act of using or dealing will also be arrested. The next step is to administer both blood tests and lie detector tests in official Pokemon Competitions, be it Gym Battles or the Elite Four. Blood tests can determine if rare candies have been used recently. Lie detector tests with the aid of a Meditite's mind reader can easily sort out those who have used rare candies to buff their pokemon.

Melody

Banned
Years
Round three! I imagine there'll only be one more round of questions after these, as it's getting close to the end of the Olympics and what not.

These questions will deal with scenarios that will not likely happen in the bubbly world of Pokémon, but I think it's interesting to replicate real life scenarios within this world.

- In this scenario, you have been elected into government. A Growlithe was shot and killed by an Officer Jenny after she deemed it as a threat and has been cleared of wrongdoing by a court, despite outsider video footage of the situation showing that the Growlithe in question was not of any risk to her. This is the most recent example of Jennies using their power in highly questionable, volatile ways and there are now mass protests from citizens in your major cities.
What would your government do in this scenario?

- Kanto has long laid claim to the Sevii Islands by virtue of them being close to the region, but the islands (in this scenario) are primarily inhabited by Hoennien citizens/people of Hoenn descent who wish to have the islands recognised as an extension of Hoenn. Kanto refuses to let go of the claim to these islands, citing sovereignty due to geographical closeness. In return, Hoenn has declared they will do what they must to protect their citizens from what they see as an illegal aggressor. If the situation is not defused soon, conflict may erupt. How will your government attempt to solve this crisis before hell breaks loose? If negotiations fail, then what?

All candidates must answer from the perspective of their own region.

In Response to the Officer Jenny scandal:
The People of Hoenn have a long and established history of respecting Pokemon. Should this sort of behavior have been revealed as actual wrongdoing and after extensive investigation of this outsider video to confirm it's authenticity; we would likely terminate the Offending Jenny from service of the Police Force for dishonorable conduct and contempt of court. However there would need to be a trial of the new evidence to verify it's authenticity and admissibility. Needless to say even if we couldn't dismiss her summarily; she would be placed on indefinite probation as an Officer "Under a Cloud" of misconduct and ensure she does nothing more than paperwork until she quits or pensions out. There are many ways of dealing with misconduct that don't necessarily include dismissal.
Since Officers are tasked with working with Pokemon; including their own, they should be held accountable if they ever DO use their gun unnecessarily.

In Response to the Sevii Island conflict
As a native of Hoenn I myself could not hope to resolve this conflict myself because of my own biases. I would seek recourse from Johto, Kalos, Sinnoh and Unova Leadership to vote to put the issue to rest. The most peaceful way we can resolve this is binding arbitration by someone uninvolved and uninterested in the outcome. So it would stand to reason that the arbitrator would be from one of these four regions. Should the Muk hit the fan and the conflict were escalated, I'd probably call upon my people not to attack Kanto, doing so could only harm our citizens on the Sevii Islands. Personally I call upon both regions to settle things amicably and split the duties 50/50; offering these citizens dual citizenship as well as sharing any revenue(s) from taxation and expenses from operation of facilities there like the Pokemon Center. Should Kanto make a reasonable enough offer to purchase the claim from Hoenn; I'd urge them to consider it. You can take ownership of the land; but you cannot take the culture from the people and Kanto has not done anything to harm them beyond denying their local agency. That offense in and of itself should be decided by all the uninvolved regions and effective actions applied.

Years
Q7: A Growlithe was shot and killed by an Officer Jenny after she deemed it as a threat and has been cleared of wrongdoing by a court, despite outsider video footage of the situation showing that the Growlithe in question was not of any risk to her. This is the most recent example of Jennies using their power in highly questionable, volatile ways and there are now mass protests from citizens in your major cities.
What would your government do?
Spoiler:

Q8: Kanto has long laid claim to the Sevii Islands by virtue of them being close to the region, but the islands (in this scenario) are primarily inhabited by Hoennien citizens/people of Hoenn descent who wish to have the islands recognised as an extension of Hoenn. Kanto refuses to let go of the claim to these islands, citing sovereignty due to geographical closeness. In return, Hoenn has declared they will do what they must to protect their citizens from what they see as an illegal aggressor. If the situation is not defused soon, conflict may erupt. How will your government attempt to solve this crisis before hell breaks loose? If negotiations fail, then what?
Spoiler:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Due to the relatively small amount of replies by the end and me being sick yet again AND how close it is to the end of the Olympics, I've decided that 8 questions was enough.

On top of that, I think it's just too annoying to make an account for voting, considering how close the end is and how disinterested the overall public seems to be about their fate in the Pokémon world. So I'm going to be a little bit fascist and decide for myself who I think the winner is.

And the person that has won due to fascist intervention is.....
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
Well both of us are from Johto, so this means some kind of Johto subjugation of all Pokemon regions. At least there'll be a coalition government between a liberal and a puppet-master party.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Maybe I should have gone and answered those questions earlier, haha. I'm fine with a coalition though! :V

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
@ Melody - there isn't a third place
think of it as first place being the president, second place being vice president and third place being the losing party

Back