• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Alleged Generation 4 Beta Sprites uncovered

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • You can find them on this webpage. It would seem that last night, someone was able to uncover the beta sprites for Pokémon Diamond/Pearl. Although, I say alleged because this could all be fake. If real, it seems there was a lot more gender differences that were planned for these games than what we got.

Anyway, let's discuss these alleged lost beta sprites from beta gen 4. I think a lot of them look unfinished, some are outright horrifying. There are some sprites I'm really sad didn't make the cut as well, though. There's a cute Psyduck sprite with a heart shape as its hair which never made the final cut.

Remember, like I've said this could possibly be fake. People on twitter are saying some of the beta sprites match up with content from older beta information, such as Weavile and Buizel. Just take this all with a grain of salt right now.

---

UPDATE: seems that the sprites were taken down. But Nintendo Soup and dr lava have preserved some of them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I think the beta versions of Pokemon themselves are particularly interesting. But at the same time I would like to see more information uncovered about other aspects of the generation if it is real. Maybe it could be found something like Z-moves were planned in Gen 4, but scrapped until 7.

This is probably my favorite beta image, which is supposed to be an early design of Quilfish. (Only speculation).

Spoiler:

@Palamon: Since it seems like you have messages disabled, I'll write it here. I apologize for the misunderstanding/confusion, because I completely misinterpreted the idea of your topic.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I believe Papyou there was probably its own Pokémon rather than a proto-Qwilfish and simply originally occupied the Pokédex number that would later be given to Qwilfish. Although, Papyou might've just been a hastily-doodled "example Pokémon" design that they never actually intended to have be a real Pokémon.

It would make a cute Bug/Poison-type, though!

Years
  • this is... interesting.

moreso the more apparent gender differences with most Pokemon, here. i assume it's the females which usually have one smaller random parts of their body than the males?

Years
  • oh yeah! saw these at twitter. looked like the designers wanted to emphasize gender differences which could've been cool tbh
    but how they did it seem a bit eh. it's just making a certain part of the pokemon longer or shorter (which, admittedly, is partly realistic but I would've loved a bit more creativity)

Back