• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Memorable Pokémon (Individuals) That You Had

Years
  • Tell us about some individual Pokémon you have (or had) that made warm memories!

Be it the starter that carried you through thick and thin, the roaming Legendary you had to chase all over the region, your first shiny - anything you can reminiscent about!

(You can post several memories separately, whenever you remember them. Also, pictures are welcome!)

Last edited:
    Years
  • I remember, back in Pearl, when the GTS was something new and incredibly exciting, how my sister and I got quite a few international Pokémon - starters included.

Our starter was Chimchar (male, Lax nature). Way before facing the Champion we got a Japanese Piplup (male), which we even used, as an Empoleon, against Cynthia the first time. Turtwig came to us from Mexico, and we jokingly told stories of how he would watch Mexican soap operas to remind himself of home.

Another one we got this way was Metamorph the French Ditto.

In that time we often traded with friends that had Diamond - theirs is our Stunky, Murkrow, Seel, any version exclusive. I look at them today, having long drifted apart from those friends, with great nostalgia.

Some of their Pokémon I fondly remember: their Empoleon, higher level than our Infernape (both in the nineties). Their Staraptor I often asked to see as a Staravia before we got our game, his cry was so funny. Their Machamp that my sister caught playing their game, that we helped evolve. My sister had nicknamed him Muscleman, and he stuck on on their main game team. Their Azelf, the one I was going to battle just to fill their Sinnoh Pokédex, that I caught without even trying, while our Azelf was a little terror that just wouldn't let himself get caught (and we loved him anyway - Azelf was my sister's favourite Lake Guardian - and my, how we hated Commander Saturn's guts for hurting him).

Last edited:
    Years
  • There are so many good ones so I'll probably come back to this thread a few more times to post about some of my best Pokemon. For this post I think I'll start with my gen 5's Pokemon from BW and BW2 because those were the first Pokemon games I owned as a physical copy (I played Pokemon before gen 5 but that was on emulators).

My first Black playthrough was amazing and my Excadrill was by far the best Pokemon on my team. I remember him being very OP and I enjoyed using him a lot. I also remember that finding and catching a Drillbur in the dust clouds of that first cave was a bit of a challenge for me so it was nice that the Excadrill turned out to be the MVP of the team. I also used two bugs on my team (Leavanny and Galvantula) and I remember being very impressed by both. I remember not knowing how Swadloon evolved at the time so having him evolve again just two levels later was a welcome surprise. I also remember catching a roaming Tornadus in a Masterball as soon as it became available and adding it to my team. Tornadus was very helpful in the Pokemon League but since I usually don't like to use legendaries on my teams, I replaced it in the post-game with a Sawk of all things.

I was very surprised to find a Riolu so early in Black 2 so I caught it and decided to use it for the first time ever (never used Riolu in Gen 4 because you get the Egg so late that leveling it up isn't worth it imo). I challenged Cheren with a Snivy and an under-leveled Riolu. Snivy takes a lot of damage while defeating Patrat and then can't even 3HKO the Lillipup so the Lillipup uses Work Up twice. Cheren then healed Lillipup and proceeded to knock my Snivy out. I only had my Riolu left and he was 2 levels below the Lillipup so I knew that I lost this battle. I used Counter not expecting Riolu to survive a +2 STAB Tackle from Lillipup but somehow Riolu survives with 2HP left and knocks out the almost full HP Lillipup with Counter. This was the closest/most interesting first Gym battle I ever had. Riolu then evolved into a Lucario before the 3rd Gym and continued to dominate the rest of Unova. Later when I started learning about competitive battles and how natures worked, I realized that my Riolu (now Lucario) has a defense boosting nature so that was the reason it survived that +2 Tackle. I also remember spending a lot of time trying to find and catch a Lapras (it knew Perish Song) under the Village Bridge before battling Drayden. After a lot of fails because of the Perish Song I finally managed to catch one and the Lapras helped me defeat not only Drayden but also the Champion Iris.

This is already to long so I'll end it here for now. :)

Years
  • I remember not knowing how Swadloon evolved at the time so having him evolve again just two levels later was a welcome surprise.

On the subject of not knowing evolution methods:

I first started with Pokémon games on my good old VBA Ruby in first grade - didn't know English yet beyond "my name is", dad translated.

My Skitty is one of my all-time favourites, indeed the mate I gave to my first and true starter Blaziken. I remember how I wanted to evolve her, and raised her to a very high level, I think over 50 (she knows Heal Bell, so at least 37), and I was astonished that she still wasn't evolving. Then I learned what "Moon Stone" means in English and that this item can be used. Go figure!

So finally, my Delcatty was here. And I was surprised the babies weren't Torchic, or some cool Torchic-Skitty hybrid.

Years
  • I love and miss my first Banette deeply. If I recall correctly, it was one of the first if not the first Pokémon I got to lv. 100 back in the Ruby and Sapphire days. Back then there was no physical/special split yet and since ghost moves were physical + Banette had such a high attack stat, I remember wrecking everything with Shadow Ball. She was my most trusted team member. I loved her so much that I ended up getting another Banette (male this time) and also getting it to lv. 100. Ahhh....the good old days of RSE. <3

milcute

a sweet melody~
    Years
  • My very first Pokemon was a Torchic (later Blaziken) named Tweety. I remember him well, he had a Serious nature and was Alert to sounds. I had him when I was 10 years old, he was my first starter for Sapphire. Sadly, I lost him in a lost game cartridge related incident. :( I miss you, Tweety.

A very close second is my shiny Latios, Eon. I caught him while soft-resetting in Black 2... Except, I wasn't resetting for a shiny at all! I was resetting for a Timid nature. Sadly, he was Docile, but of course I kept him. I didn't even have the Shiny Charm yet. I guess I'm just really lucky!

Years
  • Torchic was my first Pokémon ever too, on my emulated Ruby. He is Bashful. I chose him for his cuteness and he grew to be insanely powerful. Blaziken was level 50 before the fifth gym (1st grade, got stuck often) and is the only Pokémon I ever raised to level 100. His traditional moveset is Blaze Kick, Double Kick, Sky Uppercut and Mirror Move, I think in that precise order (it was a long time before I realised you could rearrange moves), and he holds the Amulet Coin.

He was so always there that it's difficult to think of something specific. In any situation, he was the go-to solution. He can solo the entire Pokémon league, maybe needing just PP recovery.

I do remember the time he got defeated (it happened so rarely it really stuck out): after beating Maxie's entire team on Mt. Chimney, his last Pokémon (can't remember which one) managed to knock him out, and I was in quite a pickle as Blaziken was my strongest by far, while the others were pretty underleveled. Galpa the Gulpin saved us then, beating that last opponent, and she entered legend (along with the time when I left her in the daycare for a long time mid-game and didn't have enough money to pay them to give her back for a while).

Since I still have my game on my computer, here's pictures!

blaziken2.png
    blaziken1.png
    swalot1.png
    Galpa the Swalot too. The egg in the top row is probably 10 years old, I've absolutely no idea what's in it.

Years
  • On the subject of not knowing evolution methods:

I first started with Pokémon games on my good old VBA Ruby in first grade - didn't know English yet beyond "my name is", dad translated.

My Skitty is one of my all-time favourites, indeed the mate I gave to my first and true starter Blaziken. I remember how I wanted to evolve her, and raised her to a very high level, I think over 50 (she knows Heal Bell, so at least 37), and I was astonished that she still wasn't evolving. Then I learned what "Moon Stone" means in English and that this item can be used. Go figure!

So finally, my Delcatty was here. And I was surprised the babies weren't Torchic, or some cool Torchic-Skitty hybrid.

Continuing on that: it was not level 37, it was 57! Behold:

delcatty.png

Years
    • Seen today
    I had a level 100 Blastoise who still knew Hydro Cannon, Skull Bash, Bubble, and Surf.

It was my first Pokemon game but I went back 10 years later and it was so hilarious to me that I didn't change any of the moves.

Years
  • My indestrucable trio of Sceptile/Wailord/Tropius in Sapphire, my super overpowered Butterfree in HeartGold, and my unexpected ace Wishiwashi in Sun were the most memorable Pokemon that I've had to date.

After HeartGold I got pretty good at balancing my teams so that I never really had any Pokemon that stood out, so the fact that Wishiwashi made its way into my top 5 memorable Pokemon shows just how much it carried my team, especially since I only caught one for temporary Water type coverage.

Last edited:

DarkestAria

Covet the Skwovet
    Years
  • When I first played Moon, I felt particularly fond of my Alolan Persian. There was nothing special about him (he wasn't shiny or anything) but he was strong. It felt good to use a Pokemon that a lot of other players were mocking and calling ugly.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I was really attached to Swellow in Ruby, kept it on my team from a Tailow for the entire play-through, and it helped me win the league too!

ALSO, I still remember my Luxray from my first play-through of Pearl!

He was also on my team for a long time, and I loved training that thing. It's based on that one time through the game that Luxray is still on my list of favorite Pokemon.

I still think about those play throughs and those Pokemon and I miss battling with them, but I've never been someone to transfer Pokemon to new games, oof.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I still have a lv 100 Dragonite on Silver that I cherished for years. I will never delete that file.

I also have a really high leveled Wigglytuff that I adored. I started it on either fire red or leaf green and traded it over to one of my other games. Not sure where it is BUT IT IS LOVED.

Years
  • I had a Popplio who I was afraid to evolve, it was at level 94 I decided to evolve him to Primarinna. His name is Piper, somewhere in my Ultra Moon boxes, even got a plushie of Popplio a week after I started the game. Still got that plushie.

Bumper the Chespin in X named after Bumper the Badger from Diddy Kong Racing....I was dumb back then, he's a Chesnaught now somewhere in my Ultra Moon Boxes.

My six main characters from VC Crystal from my comic. I LOVE THEM! They will be revealed as soon as I get a scanner LOL! :P

And I guess from VC Silver that Ferlitgatr from that joke file. Though i'm finished with that file, I don't want to restart it or transfer Ferlitgatr (nicknamed Oscar). IDK why. *shrug*

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • My original Blastoise, which I got from my first ever Pokemon playthrough, in LeafGreen. It was named Shellshockr! Which was a name I'd heard a Blastoise have in the anime but I had to remove an e because of length. I eventually transferred it to Diamond where it became my first and only Pokémon to reach level 100. I wonder where it is now..

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    My Alakazam on Blue. Accidentally overwrote my original save but I traded my Alakazam out. I got him back and pretty much solo'ed the game with him.
    Venusaur in LeafGreen. This time I intentionally solo'ed with him. Don't know if I reached level 100 with him but It's towards the 100 at least.

In X and Sun I recall wreaking havoc with Gengar, Mimikyu, Scyther and Slowbro.

Years
  • I think the earliest one I can really remember who I had a fondness for not driven solely by force of novelty is a Blaziken I had in Ruby version. I started a new file at around 10:00AM, and played it all through the day, only finishing my play session at around midnight. By that time, I had reached Norman and my Blaziken was already, well, a Blaziken, and blasting effortlessly through the game. By the end of the playthrough, that Blaziken was leveled in the 70s and aided only by Groudon, although I... think I might have gone to grab the Regi trio for some additional backup facing the Elite Four? I can't recall.

The second who comes to mind is a Zorua I got over GTS in Y version. She was clearly a reject from some breeding program, and I felt really bad for her, so I ended up with my first-ever (and still only, so far) seven-Pokémon main team. She's since grown quite strong, and evolved into a Zoroark, and I'm very proud of her! Honestly, I'm contemplating using a save editor purely to give her a name, since she doesn't have one and I obviously can't give her one in-game since she's traded. She certainly deserves it... she's a good girl.

Most recently, Dulcie, my Alcremie in Pokémon Shield! I wanted to try using an Alcremie, since it is a cute little Pokémon, and I love its sort of "magey" theme, but she ended up positively lethal! She's got fantastic special sweeping potential (and can even do physical, too, now that I've given her Psyshock with which to whack opponents' Defense with her mighty Special Attack stat), and can even make a physical tank of herself with Acid Armor! If I had to pick just one Pokémon to say is the singular MVP of my team, it'd probably be Dulcie, but she's actually part of a trio! Hanabi the Cinderace, Dulcie, and Cascade the Vaporeon are pretty much the heart of my team; they've been with me nearly from start to finish (or literally, in Hanabi's case), and have been solid all the way through! They're my A team within my larger team, really, although most recently that "A team" has been joined by Tellus the Tyranitar, too.

ChickenMom

a filthy casual.
    Years
  • Ah! Vulpix!

I've been thinking about this a lot lately! It is definitely my first Vulpix "Pixie". Before I even knew what pokemon was, I convinced my parents to buy me the "fox-peacock" beanbag toy at KFC. I loved that thing so much. After pokemon became a huge thing, my friends and I started drawing comics about out own adventures as trainers, and I owned a Vulpix named Pixie. She wore a yellow bow, had one blue eye, and a white muzzle because she was supposed to be old and sweet.

So in 5th grade when I finally got Pokémon Red for GBC, I knew I wanted a Vulpix. My best friend helped me catch her. She had Blue where Vulpix could be found and traded her to me. (I made my friend name her right away before the trade.) For many years I remember feeling really proud that the Name Rater loved her nickname so much that he couldn't change it. I realize now it's probably just because of the trade. My friend also helped me level Pixie up to Lv100 when we went with her family on a road trip down to Florida. It was really exciting to have my favorite pokemon also become the most powerful one I owned. It was great sitting in the back of the van listening to the newly-released Digimon: The Movie Soundtrack CD and playing pokemon. Good times.

LittleSnowyOne

I love Dima
    Years
    • Age 33
    • she/her
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    I had a level 76 Charizard in Red version named "Charmer" who, along with my cousin's Alakazam, whooped the Elite Four!

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    I had a Ralts named Palutena and a Gyarados named Skullkraken that I have specifically bred for Omega Ruby. They were powerful assets to my team as I explored a fresh new take on Hoenn.

I even had a female Eevee named Pacifica when I finally played Crystal for the first time. She became an Espeon, as I was eager to have one know Zap Cannon. Bite was also a good move to inflict some occasional flinches.

I also used a Drapion named Scorpion to sweep Cynthia's entire team in Diamond as part of my Mono Poison walkthrough.

Back