• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite (and Least Favorite Moves)

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
  • The title speaks for itself, so I'll just share mine.

Some of my least favorites:
    1. Hidden Power. On paper, it's a fun idea to have a move with different effects based on numbers you can't see or manipulate...but in practice it boils down to manipulating RNG to find a Pokémon with just the right IVs and the correct Hidden Power type, which is especially a nightmare for competitive play and is symptomatic of how unconducive the games were to it. Very glad this move is gone.
    2. Scald. It frustrates me that not only does this extremely spammable move have a decent base power, but that this Water-type move has a higher chance to burn than most Fire-type moves. Most Fire moves have a 10% or 20% chance to burn, but Scald? 30%. Chilling Water is a more balanced and better version of the move in my opinion: a guaranteed chance to lower the opponent's attack by 1 stage isn't as drastic as a burn halving it, giving the opponent constant chip damage, and forcing them into that burned state for the remainder of the game.
    3. Synchronoise. If you haven't heard of this move, I don't blame you, because it's one of the stupidest move ideas in existence: this Psychic-type attack can only hit Pokémon that share a type with the user; it's hard for this move to have STAB and be super effective at the same time. This move is even worse in Generation V, when this move first appeared, because it had a base power of 70. So if you wanted an objectively weaker Psychic with the very slim possibility of it being a useful spread move in doubles, this is the move for you. Even if you wanted to use Reflect Type to make this strategy work, that's two move slots taken up by extremely gimmicky moves.

My most favorites:
    1. Hidden Power, specifically in Legends: Arceus. I've talked about this move already, but in a nutshell it can only be learned by Unown, and it always does super effective damage. This is a cool idea for a move, because it gives you perfect coverage, but it's balanced by the fact that only Unown can learn it, and Unown can't learn anything else. This gives Unown purpose beyond a glorified collectible.
    2. Hyper Beam in Generation I. Say what you will about those games, but wouldn't it be cool if moves like Giga Impact or Frenzy Plant didn't require a turn of recharge if the move KO'd the opponent? These moves would present a neat little risk-reward factor, and moves like Roar of Time and Prismatic Laser would finally look like they'd be worth using.
    3. Chilly Reception. This move is just one of the funniest, flavor-wise. It's a neat and unique tool, too. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Least favorites
    1. Toxic. Hates clearing it and also using it. Exceeds the annoyance factor of moves like Poison Sting and Poison Gas on wild Pokemon.
    2. Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Burst. Cannot remember the last time using this move. Requires you to hit the sweet spot of not fainting, but still taking lots of damage.
    3. Self-Destruct/Explosion. Not useful for you, but quite good for wild Pokemon.

Favorites
    1. Metronome. Enjoys randomness. Occasionally sees very uncommon moves, good and bad.
    2. Body Press. Helped out several previously terrible Pokemon so much. Worked exceptionally well (arguably too well) in several playthroughs in tandem with Iron Defense and Cotton Guard.
    3. Charm/Feather Dance/Eerie Impulse. Enables a lot of slow strategies with these. Allows even weak Pokemon to power up and shame some monsters.
    4. Nuzzle. Great for catching stuff, breaking Sturdy, and just paralyzing without a miss chance.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I do not really play competitive or battle online to be honest. So my moves below are usually based on visual effects from the anime or other places.

Least Favorite:
    Protect - Not a huge fan to be completely honest. While I understand it is used a lot, I can't stand when it it spammed. And it is just annoying.

Attacks with no damage - I do not like Swords Dance, Roar, Tail Whip ect. Since I am not a competitive player, I always find them useless and would rather just deal damage. I don't mind moves like Power Up Punch and stuff. As long as it does damage or something useful I don't mind.

2 Turn Moves - Again these are really annoying. Specifically Bounce since it seems like so many pokemon get it now. You can also usually find a move that is better and only takes one turn.

Sphere/Ball Based Movies - I love Shadow Ball, Electro Ball, Aura Sphere, and Energy Ball. These have been my favorite moves for a long time. They usually look great in both the game and anime.

Thunder/Fire/Ice Punch - I love elemental Punches. Especially when a pokemon can learn all of them.

Pulse Attacks - I have recently used Clawitzer in SV rune through and has helped me a lot when I was in a tight spot. I just wish there were more saw Clawitzer had a better move pool with it's ability.

Volt Tackle - I don't use this usually since I don't use Pikachu much, but this is one of my favorite moves of all time. It looked wonderful in the anime and I was annoyed when they replaced it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Favorites:
    Taunt, Trick Room, Quiver Dance, Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, Will-O-Wisp, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Leaf Blade, Payback, Flame Charge, Shadow Ball, Close Combat, Earth Power, Fake Out, Sucker Punch.

Hate:
    Hidden Power (agree with the reasons stated in the first post, only liked the Legends Arceus version of this move), Attract, Confuse Ray, Swagger, Double Team, Minimize, etc. Basically all lottery moves and RNG stalling.

Years
  • Least: Any moves that kill the user; not useful for you and makes catching wilds annoying

Toxic is annoying over time

Thunder wave, usually doesnt work for you almost always works for CPU

Favorites: Aurora beam looks real "cool"

Seismic toss in older games, where you just throw the moon at mons, even then the newer games are pretty cool with it

Ironically as a guy who tries catching all he can, thunder wave. Love-hate relationship

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Favorites
    Taunt – Use this against a support Pokémon, lead, or staller, and ruin their plans.
    Will-o-Wisp – Easy way to inflict a Burn to half the Attack stat of physical attackers.
    Scald – Great 80 base power Water-type move that can Burn opponents pretty easily.
    Belly Drum – When a Pokémon drums its belly, you better run or else you're going to be hit with the hardest physical attacks ever.
    Ice Beam – A strong, accurate move with great coverage that many Pokémon can learn.
    Thunderbolt – Same as above.
    Flamethrower – Same as above
    Precipice Blades – Groudon's signature attack that murders absolutely everything.
    Parting Shot – A great pivot move that lowers the opponent's Special Attack and Physical Attack before switching out.
    Baton Pass – Of course I love the move that can pass my stat boosts when pivoting out.
    Blue Flare – Reshiram's signature blue flame. So beautiful!
    Drain Punch – A great move with great coverage that can recover health. It is great to use after using Belly Drum!
    Knock Off – I love knocking off items and inflicting that extra damage because of it.
    High Jump Kick – I just love taking risks for extra damage.
    Reversal – Take a Pokémon like Blaziken, give it a Focus Sash, breed it with weak defenses and Speed Boost, let it take a hit and reach 1 HP, and go ham with Reversal.

Least favorites
    Razor Wind – A weak, two turn Normal-type attack with no secondary effect.
    Splash – I mean, that's obvious. It literally does nothing.
    Any move that traps such as Fire Spin, Wrap, Whirlpool, Sand Tomb, and so on.
    I also hate how the chip damage is sometimes even stronger than the move itself. These moves were even worse in generation I, where the attack just continued.

Years
  • I myself also despise hidden power for the reasons OP worded, a hassle to get the right typing all the time. One of my least favorite moves to encounter were always confuse ray and swagger. Confuse ray has 100% accuracy, and each time I get hit by it my pokemon are almost guaranteed to hurt themselves. Yet when I use it, the CPU still hits me, and they get over confusion by the next turn while my pokemon tend to suffer for 3-4 turns. Hence why I despise swagger (against CPU). Confusion damage is based on physical attack, so a move that raises your attack but also confuses you is asking your opponent to pick up a rock and hit themselves with it.

Another move, or set of moves, I often despise are smog and sludge. In Gen 1 they had like 40% to poison you. In Gen 3 the CPU would rarely miss with these moves, and it seems each time I am hit by it I get poisoned. Again, when I use it my pokemon would miss or not poison the enemy at all. As for the last move I despise: Razor Wind. I always thought this move looked cool as a kid, but it bothers me how useless it is practically. 2 turns to set up and no way to speed it up like Solarbeam. Its damage is also disappointing.

As for moves that I love, it would be all of the +2/3/multi-status boosting/reducing moves, like Swords Dance, Quiver Dance, Belly Drum, Screech, Coil, etc. Using these moves to set up has allowed me to snowball through battles I otherwise would have never been able to win, like setting up Dragon Dance with the Red Gyarados against Lance in Heart Gold. Other moves that I love are status-aliment moves like Spore, Will-o-wisp, Thunderwave, and toxic. Compared to all the other RPGs I've played like Megami Tensei and Final Fantasy, status-aliments are usually terrible. Situational at best. Pokemon is the first RPG I've played where they are viable. Not just for winning but also catching pokemon and I love that so much. Perhaps the last move that I love would have to be self-destruct/explosion in Gens 1-4. It's the perfect move to take out your opponent because before Gen 5, it halves the opponent's defense. It also gives me the excuse to say, "I'm going to crush you and throw you into the wind," before inwardly shouting "FINAL EXPLOSION!"

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    Favorites: Drain punch, surf, quiver dance, giga drain, leech life (Gen 7 and later), return, earthquake, moonblast, play rough, horn leech, roost

Least favorite: trapping moves (especially in Gen 1), water sport, aqua ring, bestow, teleport (before Gen 8), sand attack, double team

Years
  • Least favorites are Smelling Salts and Synchronoise based mostly on the names. The former just sounds ugh and while I know what it means, it still is the most unappealing name for a move lol.

Favorites are Petal Dance, Diamond Storm, Moonblast, Shadow Ball, and Thunderbolt! Got attachment to these moves for one reason or another. ❤️

Back