• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The missing factor...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    OR/AS are unarguably very well developed and expansive games, but nothing can ever be called perfect. What one (or more) feature(s) would you add to OR/AS if you had free reign over designing the games?

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • Well, if you count Megas in this, I would've added a Mega Flygon.

But for actual features, I would add the Battle Frontier, and a more expansive post-game, consisting of learning the background lore of some of the other legendaries and then being sent out to meet and fight/catch them in specific locations (rather than just the rings), with of course exclusive ones for either game. I would also add in the ability to catch Kyogre in Omega Ruby and Groudon in Alpha Sapphire similar to how it was done in Emerald, with the Marine and Terra caves, except Terra appears only in Alpha Sapphire and Marine appears only in Omega Ruby (but the radiant location remains).

Maaybe some of those things sound odd but they're things I personally would've loved in ORAS myself. ='p

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Gym Leader rematches with implementation of Juan as 8th Gym Leader and Wallace as Champion post-game. While it was a nice homage to have Wallace use his Champion team in the Delta Episode, at the end of the day, it felt more like a tossed bone considering we didn't get Gym Leader rematches and Juan. This is made even worse when the Gym Leaders are listed in the Trainer's Eye rematch app but cannot be re-fought.

The Battle Frontier. Another Emerald feature that was disregarded in favor of a subpar post-game plot. Fun battle modes and NPCs with lots of potential for upgraded teams with the advent of Mega Evolution were lost.

Character customization. It wasn't in the originals, but neither was the Battle Frontier in GSC--and that didn't stop Game Freak from implementing Sinnoh's Frontier into HGSS. A lot of great opportunities were lost with character customization not being implemented:
    • Instead of having all the Contest Halls across the region give you access to every single contest, which is redundant, they could have been replaced with boutiques.
    • Also on the topic of contests, instead of forcing players to go with the, in my opinion, worst contest outfits the series has had to date, players could instead craft their own outfit to use specifically for contests however they liked.
    • Instead of players all looking like generic NPCs in Secret Bases, there would be more individuality. In addition, if a player wants to use their "irl friends" as their Secret Pals, they could coordinate together to dress for whatever theme they want the Secret Base to have.
    • Character customization could open up the possibility to look like the original protagonists. The "They probably didn't include customization to stick with Brendan and May's iconic look" argument doesn't hold much water when you see just how different Brendan and May look now compared to RSE. But with customization, the original RS and E outfits could be made available for players who want to keep the original-original character looks. And for those who don't care, well, customize your heart out!
    • An added segment where the player dresses like a Magma/Aqua Grunt in order to infiltrate their headquarters could have been implemented, along with the added bonus of being able to keep that outfit for the sake of customization (with players wanting to dress up as or join villainous teams as a moderately requested feature). This would also act as a fun homage to HGSS, where not only is the player able to dress as a Team Rocket Grunt to take a team photo in the Goldenrod Underground, but also where the player has to dress as a Team Rocket Grunt to gain access to the Goldrenrod Radio Tower after it has been taken by Team Rocket.

Allow Pokémon to follow the player in the overworld. It would have been a nice chance to bring back the feature that was popularized by the previous set of remakes.

Give a backstory or lore behind the mysterious rings across Hoenn. What exactly are they, and why are they in Hoenn of all places? If this really does involve Hoopa, explain that to me. I get that Pokémon is a multimedia franchise, but I'm not gonna go out and watch the movies or tv anime or read one of the many manga just to get some more insight on the game. If it's in the game, resolve it in-game. As it stands, the legendaries just seem shoe-horned in and like they're handed to the player on a silver platter, when legendaries should be more challenging to obtain and have "legends" surrounding them.

Of course there are other things I would have liked. But out of them all, these are the ones I think were the biggest missed opportunities, and especially in regards to the first two points, part of the reason why ORAS were disappointing to me.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I really liked a lot that ORAS brought to the table, so this isn't me complaining. But it's me nitpicking. I would have added a couple things.

Gym Leader Rematches, or something similar to the Pokemon World Tournament. I think that was really fun, and I guess there's no reason TO add the rematches, there's also no reason NOT to? You feel?

Battle Frontier. Not just "because," but to expand on the Battle Maison's strategy type of battling that was introduced in XY. I liked the different facilities because you finally had to adjust your strategy and couldn't always pick the most super effective move and win, you had to actually think. It was a welcome change, and I was really disappointed to see the BF missing.

Giving May/Brenden a full team. They're working on the Pokedex so it's not like they haven't caught at least 6? It's always confused me.

Redesigned New Mauville. It feels really cramped, I would have scrapped it. I don't like cramped spaces in the wide open region of Hoenn.

Kept the Groudon/Kyogre fight from Emerald. It was so epic to see when I was a kid, and it would have been awesome to see in 3D. Not like the Delta Episode wasn't great, but...

More of a Zinnia explanation. I feel like we didn't really get to know her before she disappeared. What was up with her and Aster, after all?

Sandy Castform, Mega Flygon, and Mega Milotic.

Removed the parts that teleported you to the various places you needed to be in the story. C'mon, travel's the fun part here!

WHERE IS JUAN??? I don't even like him but I thought they would have put him somewhere! He didn't even have to be battleable, maybe just chillin' somewhere.

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    Hmmm...what I would've done differently? I would've...

*Added the ability to ride some Pokemon like in X/Y.
    *Added the ability to add some of the random people you come across from trading/battling to your friends list.
    *Like Flower said in her post, allow us to catch both Kyogre and Groudon in both games, like in Emerald.
    *Add difficulty settings to add a challenge for Pokemon veterans who want it, but still keep the easy option for new Pokemon players.
    *Character customization like in X/Y, like Rivvon said in her post.
    *A bunch of much more ridiculous ideas that isn't currently feasible in a 3DS game.

dudealmighty

The Very Best
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    What do you guys think about a GBA Sounds item? Just for nostalgia sake. I really like all of the remixes in ORAS.

Definitely the Battle Frontier and Gym Leader Matches. I agree that Champion Steven could've disappeared into Meteor Falls after the main story, leaving Wallace to take his place. I'd put difficulty setting as well.

AleXShi1

Keep it real
    Years
  • A world tournament like in BW2 would be amazing!
    Also now that im replaying Heart Gold i must say the Pokeathelon is really fun and it would be a great thing to have in Oras.
    The XY riding pokemon feature was amazing and adding it would be cool, you couldve used it to travel in the desert and in Mt. Chimney for example.
    Would probably add a end game fight like Red from hgss too

Years
  • I would definitely add the Battle Frontier to ORAS, it was so much fun post-game and events after the main story was what was lacking in ORAS imo. Additionally, I would like Pokemon following you to be in the game (a fan favourite) but tbh I can see why Game Freak didn't introduce it because with the 3D models in the overworld, it would take a lot of work.
    What do you guys think about a GBA Sounds item? Just for nostalgia sake. I really like all of the remixes in ORAS.

This. Even though I thought the ORAS soundtrack was great :3

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • My biggest complaint was that there was no customization feature like there was in X/Y. I know that the original Ruby and Sapphire games didn't have this feature, but I was spoiled by it in X/Y and I have never really been a huge fan of May's character design.

And can they please get rid of Brandon because I can't stand him for some reason.

Back