• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] How do you view writing?

Bay

Years
  • For me writing is like me telling a story to others as we gathered around a campfire. People commenting on your writing is similar to them listen/get interested in every word you say and then see their reactions once you finish.

Years
  • For me writing is like me telling a story to others as we gathered around a campfire. People commenting on your writing is similar to them listen/get interested in every word you say and then see their reactions once you finish.

This is pretty much it for me too. But less in the sense of like... scouts at a camp out and more like how storytelling started way back when. It's a mix of entertainment and communicating a message.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    it is a feeling
    it's hard to place.
    when i see my words take shape, go from shapeless voices in my mind to visible stamps on a paper or a screen
    it gives me a feeling.

it is addictive, in a way.
    when the image in your head becomes descriptions your eyes can read
    it is as if you are creating a whole new real world-
    yes, that's the feeling. well, part of it. there is also something more.

to go back and read things i wrote before
    that makes me feel proud, or nostalgic, or excited
    can i be nostalgic for something that has yet to be written? because i think the feeling is something like that.

i feel like i'm opening something up
    breathing life into characters with the movement of my hands and eyes
    to see where they go, what they'll say, to discover what they'll do next
    that's the feeling too.

to whomever invented language: thanks, ya did good
    i wouldn't want to lose out on it for anything
    this feeling

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • For me, writing is like acting in a play, but I'm the only actor and I'm playing all the roles. What about you?
    That sounds like a recipe for anxiety tbh. :p

Anyway, the way I view it is like watching a movie or telling a book and then trying to tell the story to other people on the subway or at a bus station. I know that people who are there listening want to, but I can't get the story out exactly how I saw/heard it (scenes in one's mind always tend to be better than what I've got in writing), and even if I do every person there will leave with their own version (rose-tinted, incomplete, moody, Morgan Freeman-voiced, etc) of the story in their head. So it's like a much slower and richer version of herding cats, in a way.

Back