• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Sailor Moon Watch Party [updated Jan 25, 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Sailor Moon Watch Party [updated Jan 25, 2021]
    Welcome!! I made a thread back in February 2020 to see if there would be any interest in doing a Sailor Moon watch/rewatch. At the time of posting that thread, I'd only seen probably season 1 of Crystal, so it'd essentially be a first time viewing for me. Which version? We've decided to watch Sailor Moon (and not Crystal), with either the original Japanese Audio + Subtitles, or the 2014 VIZ Dub. The DiC dub merged a few episodes and censored quite a bit - the 2014 Viz dub is a direct translation. Where can I watch it?? This website can tell you where it's available to legally stream in Australia, the UK, and Canada. You might have to just look into it further if you live in a different country. Please do not link to any unofficial streaming websites. I'm in America, and the entire thing is on Hulu! How many episodes per major post? There are 200 episodes total. We're watching 14 episodes every two weeks. What's the current set of episodes? We're currently on the third set of episodes + discussions. How many major posts have there been so far? As of today, 3: Episode Set 1 + Discussion Questions Episode Set 2 + Discussion Questions Episode Set 3 + Discussion Questions How do I participate? Just watch the episodes, and post your thoughts overall in this thread! Anything else? As this is the first viewing for some people, please tag spoilers of episodes beyond the current thread. E.g. Something that happens in Episode 15 would need to be in a spoiler tag. Something happened in Episode 8 would not. Participant List franziska von karma, Foxy, donvannj, Janp, Cherrim, Dawn, Cubeth, Drew, IrishAurum, Astromancer, TrainerX493, Brendino Feel free to join or leave at any time!

Last edited:
    Years
  • SPOILERS: Episode List
    1. The Crybaby: Usagi's Beautiful Transformation An average girl becomes a superhero when she saves the life of a talking cat.. 2. Punishment Awaits! The House of Fortune is the Monster Mansion Usagi has a new show she loves, a late-night radio show. Only, the flower pin prizes zap energy. What can she do to save her friend, Naru? Sailor Moon is going to have to make a special guest appearance on the "Love Line". 3. The Mysterious Sleeping Sickness: Protect the Girls in Love Homeroom teacher Haruna Sakurada and Naru submit love-letters to a late-night radio show. When they fall into a coma-like sleep, Usagi must investigate the radio station undercover. 4. Learn How to Be Skinny from Usagi Usagi gains a couple of pounds and starts to obsess about her weight. Jadeite starts a health club to drain energy out of people. Usagi and her friends sign up after seeing how much weight Ms. Haruna has lost. Usagi discovers tanks in the basement which are sucking the life energy out of her friends. 5. Scent of a Monster! Chanela Will Steal Your Love Usagi wants her family to accept Luna as a "pet", but her brother Shingo is afraid of cats. At a pet shop, he discovers a hypnotic creature called a Chanela and loses all interest in anything else. 6. Protect the Melody of Love: Usagi Plays Cupid Jadeite creates a cassette tape that can drain life energy, but the monster he gives it to promptly loses it. It ends up in the possession of a jazz pianist, and Usagi must disguise herself as an adult to protect him. 7. Usagi Learns Her Lesson: Becoming a Star is Hard Work By making a monster possess a human celebrity, Jadeite draws a huge crowd of would-be superstars. Usagi tries to juggle her duties as Sailor Moon with her desire to be popular and famous. 8. The Girl Genius is a Monster: The Brainwashing Cram School of Horror Luna senses a strange aura around Usagi's genius classmate, Ami Mizuno, and thinks she might be a Dark Kingdom spy. Usagi befriends the girl and is not so sure. But she understands later that Ami Mizuno is Sailor Mercury, a Sailor Guardian as Sailor Moon, and their duties are the same. 9. Usagi's Disaster: Beware of the Clock of Confusion Jadeite's new plan is to make humans work harder to increase their energy output. Usagi's mom buys a new clock for her that drains her energy; Ami, now awakened as Sailor Mercury, helps Luna investigate. 10. The Cursed Bus: Enter Mars, the Guardian of Fire Loaded buses are disappearing near Hikawa Shrine, and most of Usagi's peers suspect that Rei Hino, a mysterious shrine miko with strange psychic abilities, has something to do with it. Luna wonders if she might be the moon princess, but it is later revealed that she is another Guardian, Sailor Mars. 11. Usagi vs. Rei: Nightmare in Dream Land Queen Beryl is increasingly furious with Jadeite for his repeated failures; he starts up a theme park, but the general public notices the large number of disappearances. Usagi and Rei begin their combative friendship. 12. I Want a Boyfriend: The Luxury Cruise Ship is a Trap One of Queen Beryl's monsters offers to help Jadeite with his wicked plans. Rei wins tickets on a luxury cruise ship and, since she has no boyfriend, asks Ami to accompany her. A jealous Usagi sneaks aboard after them. 13. Girls Unite: The End of Jadeite Usagi continues to be romantically infatuated with both Motoki Furuhata and Tuxedo Mask. Threatened with death should he fail again, Jadeite confronts the Sailor Guardians at an airport 14. A New Enemy Appears: Nephrite's Evil Crest Nephrite takes over as Beryl's main energy gatherer. He plans to gather more strength and power from individual humans at their strongest, rather than from groups, and starts by targeting Naru's childhood friend, a tennis player.

Discussion Points
    Overall thoughts of the first 14 episodes? Ur response goes here. What did you think of Jadeite as a villain? Ur response goes here. Sailor Mercury or Sailor Mars? Ur response goes here. Favorite episode of this bunch? Ur response goes here. Favorite Monster of the Week? Ur response goes here.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I will probably start tomorrow...if we go to 2 eps a day there is every possibility I will fall behind though, because I'll watch this in the morning before work. xD

Years
  • Spoiler warning for the first 14 episodes:
    Overall thoughts of the first 14 episodes?
    I originally only ever watched the first season..or so,,,.of Sailor Moon Crystal, so the pacing threw me off quite a bit, though. Having watched both, though, I have to say I appreciate the pacing of this over Crystal just because it really feels like the additional characters (Naru, Umino, etc.) get developed so much more. The first few "arc" with Jadeite definitely has a generic "Monster of the Week" vibe, though, and it gets a little cumbersome after a while.

What did you think of Jadeite as a villain?
    I liked him, and it's pretty funny that he found out Sailor Moon's identity and then was promptly frozen. Also ...,.,him trying to run over the guardians with an airplane? Iconic.

Sailor Mercury or Sailor Mars?
    Oh I love Sailor Mars so much. Ami is great, but Rei is such a good foil to Usagi. I love their constant bantering.

Favorite episode of this bunch?
    Probably the 12th episode, "I Want a Boyfriend: The Luxury Cruise Ship is a Trap". Rei and Usagi's bantering is A+ here. I love their dynamic tbh

Favorite Monster of the Week?
    Hm. Probably the monster from "Usagi vs. Rei: Nightmare in Dream Land":
    Sailor Moon Watch Party [updated Jan 25, 2021]

the whole doll aspect was p creepy tbh

Years
  • SPOILERS: 2nd Set of Episodes
    15. Usagi's Panic: Rei's First Date Usagi finally learns Mamoru's name, and, to her aggravation (and supposed jealousy), Rei decides to date him. Meanwhile, Nephrite targets the caretaker of a park, and Rei suggests a similarity between Mamoru and Tuxedo Mask. 16. A Girl's Dream: Usagi Becomes a Bride Usagi's home economics teacher is getting married, and she and Rei become obsessed with a contest for handmade wedding dresses. Nephrite implants a monster in some fabric purchased by the bride-to-be. 17. Usagi's a Model: The Flash of the Monster Camera A student from Rei's school is an expert photographer. She and others try to become models to attract fame and fortune, but the boy and his camera are under the influence of the Dark Kingdom./I] 18. Shingo's Love: The Grieving Doll Zoisite suggests that Nephrite needs his help, but the latter refuses, angering Queen Beryl. Shingo's friend is targeted for her ability to make beautiful dolls. Sailor Moon becomes an increasingly popular super-heroine. 19. Usagi's Joy: A Love Letter from Tuxedo Mask Nephrite takes advantage of Sailor Moon's romantic attraction to Tuxedo Mask by sending love letters to Usagi and her classmates. Naru falls in love with him in his civilian disguise, allowing him to drain a large amount of her life-force energy. 20. The Summer, the Beach, Youth and Ghosts JUsagi and her friends go to the beach, where they stay in a hotel run by people who look like film monsters. There, they encounter a ghostly presence and a little girl with psychic powers. 21. Protect the Children's Dreams: Friendship Through Anime Nephrite targets one of the animators of an upcoming Sailor V film, who is driven by jealousy of her best friend. The Guardians investigate, but Usagi and Rei are distracted by the excitement of the anime studio. 22. Romance Under the Moon: Usagi's First Kiss Luna and Beryl wonder if a visiting princess could be the one the Guardians have been looking for. Mamoru dreams he is Tuxedo Mask and a girl is asking him for the Silver Crystal. At the ball, Usagi accidentally drinks wine and experiences her first kiss by Tuxedo Mask. 23. Wish Upon a Star: Naru's First Love JNephrite creates a crystal that will guide him to the Silver Crystal. Usagi tries to tell Naru that the man she loves is Nephrite in disguise, but Naru does not believe her, saying Usagi's jealous. Nephrite convinces Naru to steal a crystal from her mother and bring it to him. 24. Naru's Tears: Nephrite Dies for Love Nephrite continues to investigate Naru, not understanding that his crystal is sensing her love for him. Zoisite deduces the truth and orchestrates Naru's kidnapping to entrap Nephrite, ultimately resulting in Nephrite's death. 25. Jupiter, the Powerful Girl in Love Beryl partially awakens the evil entity Queen Metalia before giving Zoisite his mission to find the human reincarnations of Seven Great Monsters to acquire their Rainbow Crystals, fragments of the Silver Crystal. Meanwhile, the tomboyish Makoto Kino transfers into Usagi's school and quickly falls for a crane-game whiz at the arcade who Zoisite targets. Makoto is revealed to be Sailor Jupiter. 26. Restore Naru's Smile: Usagi's Friendship Naru is still very depressed about Nephrite, so Usagi and Umino take her to Yokohama to have fun. There, a kindly priest is attacked by Zoisite. Mamoru realizes that he is Tuxedo Mask, and drops a locket on the ground, where Usagi finds it. 27. Crushing on Ami: The Boy Who Can See the Future Ami is bested in a school test by another student named Ryo Urawa, who can foresee the future and who has a crush on her. He also already knows that he is one of the Rainbow Crystal holders. 28. The Painting of Love: Usagi and Mamoru Get Closer An artist asks a reluctant Usagi and Mamoru to model for one of her romantic love paintings. They encourage her to be less of a recluse. In battle, Sailor Moon learns that the locket she found belonged to Tuxedo Mask.

Discussion Points
    Whew, a ton happens in this next group of episodes! We have Nephrite dying, the beginning of the Rainbow Crystal arc, Usagi learning MOON HEALING ESCALATION, and the introduction of the amazing third Sailor Guardian, Jupiter!! Overall thoughts of episodes 15 through 28? Ur response goes here. What did you think of Nephrite as a villain? More importantly - what about his creepy relationship with Naru? Ur response goes here. Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, or Sailor Jupiter? Ur response goes here. Favorite episode of this bunch? Ur response goes here. Favorite Monster of the Week? Ur response goes here.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Nephrite is voiced by Liam O'Brien.

Nephrite is voiced by Liam O'Brien.

I will get through these episodes much quicker >.>

Years
  • Wait, it's already time for the 2nd wave? I'm way too behind. I'll have to binch like 6 episodes today to get back on track.

Years
  • fwiw i pinged everyone on discord but due to the holidays, i'm extending the deadline for these episodes to next thursday

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • HI EVERYONE the new thread hasn't been posted so technically I'm caught up even tho we're definitely all behind.

I've been watching in Japanese with no subs just to prove to 7 year old me that I can. Not that 7 year old me knew what anime was or where Japan was or how they would be related. I guess it's more 20 year old me who might be impressed by that, and I think that's around the last time I watched the series in full. But still!!

Overall thoughts of episodes 15 through 28?
    i'm glad to be done with the first arc. I always thought the villain of the day being a person they have to save rather than a monster born separately from them was less engaging. Also Nephrite. :s

What did you think of Nephrite as a villain? More importantly - what about his creepy relationship with Naru?
    Okay, ngl, I have to keep reminding myself that I am well past the target age for this anime and that it's about wish fulfillment for little girls. Who wouldn't want a tall, dark and handsome man suddenly interested in you? To be able to save him and make him good again? It made a lot of sense to me as a little kid watching this, I know that much. Buuuut as a 31 year old, I'm just 😬😬😬. But it's not just Nephrite. If anything I keep being like "wtf are you doing" every time Mamoru is on screen. Why is he bullying an eight grader? Why does he keep hanging out with Rei??? If I were in university and someone in grade 8 that I don't even know started trying to drag me on dates or to random places with her, I would just??? Keep walking???? I think he's actually younger than college age though, like he skipped some grades for being smart or something like that, but iirc we haven't actually seen or heard any evidence of that yet so I keep being creeped out lmao. Get more friends your age, Mamoru.

Other than the Naru thing, I guess Nephrite's ok.

Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, or Sailor Jupiter?
    When I was younger, Mercury was my favourite, but even though it's only been a few episodes, I think Jupiter is my fave now. I just think she has more interesting things to work through than all the others right now and *lol* at her repeated "he's just like my senpai at my old school...." bit.

Even when I was a kid I was always really partial to the anime studio one. I liked the idea of a magic pencil and the reveal at the end where both girls had used theirs up, awww. I still like it today, even if now I'm like "you have a job as an animator, you can buy more pencils now. what could possibly be more important than working in your dream job?? tf were y'all even still saving them for????" Also the way Rei was like "anime? don't only kids watch that?? :/" even though she yelled at Usagi a few eps back for trying to read her Sailor V manga before she'd gotten around to it. (And then showing up with the shikishi autograph boards to take with them to the studio lmaoo.)

Lmao the boxing priest harpie, for sure.

Years
  • I kinda forgot to post this earlier. Sorry about that.
    Overall thoughts of the first 14 episodes?
    I had fun watching it. I think "monster of the week" format was pretty fitting for establish the world and to show (a rather small) progress Usagi was making. There wasn't much happening in the episodes and fights themselves where pretty short and usually pretty straightforward, but the rest of the episodes were fine. It gets better when more Sailors are introduced. I especially love the dynamic of Usagi and Rei.

What did you think of Jadeite as a villain?
    I loved the re-used animation of his hand gathering energy and then his face appeared behind it. It reminded me of similar scene from one old game, but I can't remember which one. I also loved his first encounter with Usagi. Just as she was getting better at killing monsters, he popped out and beat her with no effort. He was pretty succesful even when he was facing all three Sailors.

Sailor Mercury or Sailor Mars?
    I like Sailor Mercury's design and personality more, but I think she was underused. Especially when compared to Sailor Mars, who not only gets the cool exorcism powers, but also more screentime to be Usagi's love rival.

10th episode "The Cursed Bus: Enter Mars, the Guardian of Fire" had really original premise.

"The Girl Genius is a Monster: The Brainwashing Cram School of Horror"'s monster. I loved how it gave Usagi quiz questions before attacking.

Years
  • I was able to catch up and also got time to write everything down for this part on time. Yay!

Overall thoughts of episodes 15 through 28?
    I think I enjoyed it more than the first 14 episodes. The plot got finally moving. I think monsters being manifested from real people instead of them being disguised as humans works a much more, at least as much as my emotional involvement with the show goes. I'm looking forward where the whole Silver Crystal, Tuxedo Mask's amnesia and his and Usagi(?)'s relationship will go.

What did you think of Nephrite as a villain? More importantly - what about his creepy relationship with Naru?
    Nephrite had cool theme. And cool death. His relationship with Naru felt a little bit forced at moments, but I also have no idea how would 14 years old girl act in this situation. The whole relationship helped to set Nephrite as a lawful evil character.

Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, or Sailor Jupiter?
    It felt like Mercury had even less screentime this time, basically reducted to appearing out of nowhere, using her bubble attack and then going back to being background character. Jupiter as nice addition to the cast.

"Crushing on Ami: The Boy Who Can See the Future" because it is the Ami-centered episode.

"Romance Under the Moon: Usagi's First Kiss" was overall my favourite from the bunch.

The photographing monster had awesome design and ability.

Years
  • SPOILERS: 3rd Set of Epsiodes
    29. Total Chaos: The Messy Love Rectangle. Makoto, like Usagi, develops a huge romantic crush on Motoki. The two decide to pursue him simultaneously, even after finding out that he has a girlfriend named Reika Nishimura, who, meanwhile, is targeted by Zoisite and Kunzite. 30. Grandpa Loses Control: Rei in Danger Zoisite aggravates the Rainbow Crystal inside Rei's grandfather, who becomes hyperactive and unstable. A young man, Yūichirō Kumada, wanders into the shrine, falls in love with Rei, and asks to work there. 31. Love and Chased: Luna's Worst Day Ever Luna becomes the object of a very fat ordinary cat's attentions. Both Zoisite and the Sailor Guardians detect traces of the last Rainbow Crystal around the home of this cat's owner and investigate with unexpected results. 32. Umino's Resolve: I'll Protect Narul Luna reveals that she is from the moon, and so is the princess the guardians are looking for. Umino, having been told that Tuxedo Mask is attractive, adopts a similar persona in order to protect, and thereby woo, Naru. 33. Enter Venus, the Last Sailor Guardian Zoisite disguises himself as Sailor Moon in order to lure Tuxedo Mask and the guardians out into the open, where they are attacked by Kunzite. The Dark Kingdom injures Tuxedo Mask's identity, but they are foiled by the appearance of Sailor Venus. 34. The Shining Silver Crystal: The Moon Princess Appears The new guardian, Sailor Venus, is also schoolgirl Minako Aino, accompanied by Artemis, a male white cat who also has the ability to speak. Forbidden by Queen Beryl to kill Tuxedo Mask, Zoisite challenges him to duel for the Rainbow Crystals. Usagi follows him, and they are forced to reveal their identities to each other. 35. Returning Memories: Usagi and Mamoru's Past Usagi and Mamoru remember their former lives as Princess Serenity and Prince Endymion. The Dark Kingdom kidnaps the injured Mamoru, but Beryl executes Zoisite for his attempt to kill him with Kunzite remaining by Zoisite's side in his final moments. Luna and Artemis tell the Guardians about their tragic past. 36. Usagi's Confusion: Is Tuxedo Mask Evil? LMinako takes a depressed Usagi to the hairdresser to cheer her up. There they are attacked by a monster who is convinced that Minako is Sailor Moon. Tuxedo Mask appears, alive and whole, but addresses himself as Endymion and appeared to be fighting for the Dark Kingdom. 37. Let's Become a Princess: Usagi's Bizarre Training Usagi daydreams of her past and enrolls in a special seminar to become more like a princess. Kunzite and the evil Endymion argue about which is more important: obtaining the Silver Crystal or killing Sailor Moon. 38. The Snow, the Mountains, Friendship and Monsters Yūichirō takes the girls to a ski resort, where they enter a "Moon Princess" contest. Rei and Usagi, targeted by a monster, take the opportunity to reaffirm their friendship. Tuxedo Mask continues to fight against them 39. Paired with a Monster: Mako, the Ice Skating Queen Discovering that the Moon Princess was once known for her graceful ice skating, Kunzite tries to use this information to trap Sailor Moon. The best skater among the girls, however, turns out to be Makoto. Tuxedo Mask appears to help them, but only works against Kunzite because he does not want to involve bystanders. 40. The Legendary Lake Yokai: The Bond of Usagi's Family Usagi and her family go on vacation at a hot springs, where legend holds that a terrible monster was once defeated. Endymion revives the monster, but regrets his action upon discovering that it is not a monster. 41. I Won't Run Away from Love Anymore: Ami vs. Mamoru Queen Beryl orders Endymion to capture the form holders of the Rainbow Crystals, intending to reawaken the Seven Great Monster and combine them into one huge monster to wipe out the Sailor Guardians. Ami is determined to protect Urawa while Sailor Moon tries to heal Endymion. 42. Sailor Venus' Past: Minako's Tragic Love The Guardians look for an entrance to the Dark Kingdom, where Metalia will soon be awakened. Kunzite decides to try to get at Sailor V and attacks a woman Minako had been good friends with in England.

Discussion Points
    MOON HEALING ESCALATION!! The gang's all here, y'all! Overall thoughts of episodes 29 through 42? Ur response goes here. Episode 40 breaks the mold, featuring a Yokai instead of one of the Great Youma forms from the Rainbow Crystal? How do you feel about that change, and do you think it should occur more often? Ur response goes here. Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, or Sailor Venus? Ur response goes here. Favorite episode of this bunch? Ur response goes here. Favorite Monster of the Week? Ur response goes here. Rhett Butler?

this kinda sizzled out - apologies! will close.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    dang I missed it, hey have y'all heard of tuturu, its an app that does screen sharing, specifically for anime so people can watch anime with their friends simultaneously, heard about it from watch gigguk etc. If y'all do another watch party that may be something to try.

I think I got the name right...?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back