• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Metaverse

Years
    • Seen today
    You can find in an infinite number of articles through searching this term online.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

In short, Mark Zuckerberg wants to create a virtual world. Shopping, traveling, schooling, etc can all be done inside his virtual world. Many fears are about it being dystopian, or cutting away even more from social interaction. They've estimated this will be done in 5 to 10 years.

What do you think of it?

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • It looks pretty cringey to me and they're acting like this is revolutionary when in reality we had this back in the late 2000s with Playstation Home, although that didn't use VR.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i HATE that they took the name "Meta". it's a word I use and will keep using for various things and I will not start associating it with Suckerborg if I can avoid it.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Did you really need to include that picture of the Zurg staring into your soul

Honestly, the whole thing sounds like a mix of "I watched too much Ready Player One" -except the Zurg thought "man, the villain really was a sucker, I can create a new world and flood it with ads for real and make it work! I WILL OUTVILLAIN THE VILLAIN!!"- and the tech companies' endless quest for the 'ultimate walled garden' in which all the users will be going to your place paying you money and being served ads by you and only you, screw the competition.

The problem though, Facebook has reached Tobacco-company levels of social toxicity. "This universe was created by Meta" will feel as comfortable as reading "this product was created by Phillip Morris".

Back