• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Playing ish for the first time! Hints?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    So I've played half through White on an emulator some years back but I don't remember much, except for Castelia being confusing haha. I got up to Skyla's gym I thiiink, not sure I beat her.

Anyways, looking forward very much to starting this again, and it's kind of like playing for the first time. Pls help me compile a little list of things I should keep in mind or will do well with knowing when I get to certain places haha. Like, what pok?mon are useful, what's the best HM slave, where do I remember to go to get a hidden item, how difficult are the gym leaders - anything c: Thank you <3

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • So I've played half through White on an emulator some years back but I don't remember much, except for Castelia being confusing haha. I got up to Skyla's gym I thiiink, not sure I beat her.

Anyways, looking forward very much to starting this again, and it's kind of like playing for the first time. Pls help me compile a little list of things I should keep in mind or will do well with knowing when I get to certain places haha. Like, what pok?mon are useful, what's the best HM slave, where do I remember to go to get a hidden item, how difficult are the gym leaders - anything c: Thank you <3

Ah, you might know this already, but watch for shaking grass - you can find rare pokemon from them! Mostly you'll find an Audino, but if you beat it, you'll gain loads of EXP for your pokemon. o:

In terms of HMs, I don't think you need much - a pokemon that could Fly and Surf I thiiink is enough for a playthrough, and maybe Strength? I don't remember exactly, but yeah.

Years
  • I can help you with the Gym Leaders part. The first Gym (Cilan/Chili/Cress) is always chosen to have the advantage against your starter, so for example choosing Tepig makes you face the Water-type user Cress. You can pick up the elemental monkey from an NPC in the Dreamyard who can beat that Gym's own monkey - you get Panpour if you chose Snivy, Pansage if you chose Tepig or Pansear if you chose Oshawott.

Second Gym (Lenora) is notably difficult due to her hard-hitting Normal-types and their Retaliate strategy. The Watchog also likes using Hypnosis, but thankfully Cheren gives you Chesto Berries when you get to Nacrene City.

Third Gym (Burgh) isn't very difficult, since Bug-types have a lot of weaknesses. His Dwebble is often the hard one to take down, since it doesn't have any of the common weaknesses for Bug, but Water can still beat it. Fire and Flying moves easily take care of his powerful Leavanny.

The fourth Gym (Elesa) is one of the more infamously hard ones of B/W, since she has that annoying Volt Switch strategy with two Emolga, and also has that hard-hitting Zebstrika. If you have a Ground-type like Sandile and are packing the Rock Tomb TM (found in Desert Resort) you should be set.

Fifth Gym (Clay) is also notably hard, but that's because of his ace Pokemon Excadrill being a very strong physical attacker in itself. His other two Pokemon aren't as difficult thankfully.

Sixth Gym (Skyla) is one who can easily be destroyed by Electric-types, since all her team have a common weakness to it. Something like a Zebstrika (which you can catch just nearby on Route 7) can easily mow her down. Her Swanna can hit very hard if you don't have such advantage though.

Seventh Gym (Brycen) is the easiest of the game, since you're very likely to have something that can easily destroy Ice-types, and with four common weaknesses (Fire, Rock, Steel, Fighting) it's not surprising. If you picked Tepig, your Emboar is sure going to have a field day with this.

Final Gym (Drayden in Black or Iris in White) uses Dragon-types, and tend to be spamming Dragon Dance to set up potential sweeping against you, but they also like using Dragon Tail to make you switch randomly. If you have an Ice-type like Beartic or the Vanillite line, you can pick at that Ice weakness, but otherwise use your strongest non-resisted attacks.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Getting a Dark type eventually is generally not a bad idea in Black/White, as 2 of the 4 Elite Four members are weak to Dark (one is Psychic, another Ghost).

You can battle trainers every day in the two sports stadiums in Nimbasa City, who also get stronger as you get more badges, so you can use that in addition to Audinos for getting EXP.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • A Pokemon I'd strongly recommend is Scrafty. It is amazing in this game due to its typing hitting almost everything for at least neutral damage, can also have an advantage with the Dark-type Elite 4, is bulky, and it has access to two great abilities (Shed Skin and Moxie). Oh yeah, it can get access to Strength if it's needed and it's not going to hinder it because all you need is moves for its great STAB combination. The earliest places to find Scraggy is in Route 4 and Desert Resort, and it evolves at level 39. Hope this helps!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ah, you might know this already, but watch for shaking grass - you can find rare pokemon from them! Mostly you'll find an Audino, but if you beat it, you'll gain loads of EXP for your pokemon. o:

In terms of HMs, I don't think you need much - a pokemon that could Fly and Surf I thiiink is enough for a playthrough, and maybe Strength? I don't remember exactly, but yeah.
    Oh, I didn't know that O: so that's why people keep talking about beating Audinos haha? Thanks! Yeah FLY and SURF are the ones I usually go with too. Maybe Strength or Waterfall since they are legit ok moves, but Waterfall isn't in this game maybe?

I can help you with the Gym Leaders part. The first Gym (Cilan/Chili/Cress) is always chosen to have the advantage against your starter, so for example choosing Tepig makes you face the Water-type user Cress. You can pick up the elemental monkey from an NPC in the Dreamyard who can beat that Gym's own monkey - you get Panpour if you chose Snivy, Pansage if you chose Tepig or Pansear if you chose Oshawott.

Second Gym (Lenora) is notably difficult due to her hard-hitting Normal-types and their Retaliate strategy. The Watchog also likes using Hypnosis, but thankfully Cheren gives you Chesto Berries when you get to Nacrene City.

Third Gym (Burgh) isn't very difficult, since Bug-types have a lot of weaknesses. His Dwebble is often the hard one to take down, since it doesn't have any of the common weaknesses for Bug, but Water can still beat it. Fire and Flying moves easily take care of his powerful Leavanny.

The fourth Gym (Elesa) is one of the more infamously hard ones of B/W, since she has that annoying Volt Switch strategy with two Emolga, and also has that hard-hitting Zebstrika. If you have a Ground-type like Sandile and are packing the Rock Tomb TM (found in Desert Resort) you should be set.

Fifth Gym (Clay) is also notably hard, but that's because of his ace Pokemon Excadrill being a very strong physical attacker in itself. His other two Pokemon aren't as difficult thankfully.

Sixth Gym (Skyla) is one who can easily be destroyed by Electric-types, since all her team have a common weakness to it. Something like a Zebstrika (which you can catch just nearby on Route 7) can easily mow her down. Her Swanna can hit very hard if you don't have such advantage though.

Seventh Gym (Brycen) is the easiest of the game, since you're very likely to have something that can easily destroy Ice-types, and with four common weaknesses (Fire, Rock, Steel, Fighting) it's not surprising. If you picked Tepig, your Emboar is sure going to have a field day with this.

Final Gym (Drayden in Black or Iris in White) uses Dragon-types, and tend to be spamming Dragon Dance to set up potential sweeping against you, but they also like using Dragon Tail to make you switch randomly. If you have an Ice-type like Beartic or the Vanillite line, you can pick at that Ice weakness, but otherwise use your strongest non-resisted attacks.
    That is so useful! Thank you so much Hika <3 Hmm, this makes me consider what pok?mon to train up a bit more carefully.

Getting a Dark type eventually is generally not a bad idea in Black/White, as 2 of the 4 Elite Four members are weak to Dark (one is Psychic, another Ghost).

You can battle trainers every day in the two sports stadiums in Nimbasa City, who also get stronger as you get more badges, so you can use that in addition to Audinos for getting EXP.
    Dark type, gotcha!
    Oh, extra EXP opportunities are always good. That's great to know, thank you very much c:

A Pokemon I'd strongly recommend is Scrafty. It is amazing in this game due to its typing hitting almost everything for at least neutral damage, can also have an advantage with the Dark-type Elite 4, is bulky, and it has access to two great abilities (Shed Skin and Moxie). Oh yeah, it can get access to Strength if it's needed and it's not going to hinder it because all you need is moves for its great STAB combination. The earliest places to find Scraggy is in Route 4 and Desert Resort, and it evolves at level 39. Hope this helps!
    Maybe I'll get Scrafty a try then! Never used it before. Thanks :D

Years
  • Hopefully all our advice helped. Don't hesitate to ask your fellow members if you have more questions!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Definitely seconding... or thirding? About Scrafty. Honestly you COULD play through the whole game with only Scrafty and you would encounter very little problems.

As for some other useful stuff: there's a cute little area off the side of the first route that you can get to when you Surf. You'll get tons of rare items but the Pokemon are pretty strong, but if you're looking for something to do post-game after you've taken on everything else that's somewhere you can explore!

Make sure you battle every nurse and doctor, avoid the darker grass (unless you WANT double battles), you'll never be short of money so don't worry about excess spending (post-game there's a literal goldmine), brush up on your memory skills because there's a cute little game to play at Village Bridge, collect wings on the bridges some of them are useful...

Hmmm what else.

Okay I thought of something that may help!

Pokemon-wise ***these are my personal opinions only***:
    Ignore the elemental monkeys there is better stuff later on
    The bird this gen is really not worth it, you're better off with Swanna
    Swoobat is great to use early on and can keep you going all game because it's super fast and super strong
    Get a Sawk you won't regret it
    Leavanny is actually pretty good, Scolipede imo is better in competitive than in-game
    Whimsicott won't help you much so dw about it
    Alolomola isn't really worth it in-game because of no Regenerator
    Jellicent on the other hand is pretty useful
    Cinccino is awesome... in B2W2. Wait til then :)
    Carracosta vs Archeops, don't stress it doesn't matter much overall
    Gothitelle should be ok
    Sawsbuck is ok
    Get an Amoonguss just for the fun of it!
    Chandelure is fun to use
    Haxorus vs Hydreigon hmmm I dunno I'm a huge fan of Haxorus but both are good tbh
    Golurk is good to grab
    Don't worry about Mandibuzz, shame you didn't get White for Braviary :(

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Just gonna continue the Scrafty hype train. It beats everything plain and simple. Some other mons that are great for in-game usage:
    -emboar,( though samurott may be better if you pick up scrafty)
    - Krookodile with intimidate or moxie
    - Leavanny
    -Stoutland with it powerful stab attacks
    - Chandelure
    -Zebstrika

I'd avoid ice types personally unless you specifically want one to handle dragons

Also as has been said, money is not an issue so make sure to have plenty of potions, revives, etc... or else you'll be finding spending a lot f time running/flying back to the POkemon center. The trainers are definitely tougher than previous gens so the healing items are super important.

Lastly, make sure to explore Relic Castle after beating the game. Knowing you, I think you'll like the little surprise they have in store for the player.

And truly finally, enjoy the storyline. It's a pretty involved storyline and very interesting. Made me appreciate Pok?mon more :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Definitely seconding... or thirding? About Scrafty. Honestly you COULD play through the whole game with only Scrafty and you would encounter very little problems.

As for some other useful stuff: there's a cute little area off the side of the first route that you can get to when you Surf. You'll get tons of rare items but the Pokemon are pretty strong, but if you're looking for something to do post-game after you've taken on everything else that's somewhere you can explore!

Make sure you battle every nurse and doctor, avoid the darker grass (unless you WANT double battles), you'll never be short of money so don't worry about excess spending (post-game there's a literal goldmine), brush up on your memory skills because there's a cute little game to play at Village Bridge, collect wings on the bridges some of them are useful...

Hmmm what else.

Okay I thought of something that may help!

Pokemon-wise ***these are my personal opinions only***:
    Ignore the elemental monkeys there is better stuff later on
    The bird this gen is really not worth it, you're better off with Swanna
    Swoobat is great to use early on and can keep you going all game because it's super fast and super strong
    Get a Sawk you won't regret it
    Leavanny is actually pretty good, Scolipede imo is better in competitive than in-game
    Whimsicott won't help you much so dw about it
    Alolomola isn't really worth it in-game because of no Regenerator
    Jellicent on the other hand is pretty useful
    Cinccino is awesome... in B2W2. Wait til then :)
    Carracosta vs Archeops, don't stress it doesn't matter much overall
    Gothitelle should be ok
    Sawsbuck is ok
    Get an Amoonguss just for the fun of it!
    Chandelure is fun to use
    Haxorus vs Hydreigon hmmm I dunno I'm a huge fan of Haxorus but both are good tbh
    Golurk is good to grab
    Don't worry about Mandibuzz, shame you didn't get White for Braviary :(

Just gonna continue the Scrafty hype train. It beats everything plain and simple. Some other mons that are great for in-game usage:
    -emboar,( though samurott may be better if you pick up scrafty)
    - Krookodile with intimidate or moxie
    - Leavanny
    -Stoutland with it powerful stab attacks
    - Chandelure
    -Zebstrika

I'd avoid ice types personally unless you specifically want one to handle dragons

Also as has been said, money is not an issue so make sure to have plenty of potions, revives, etc... or else you'll be finding spending a lot f time running/flying back to the POkemon center. The trainers are definitely tougher than previous gens so the healing items are super important.

Lastly, make sure to explore Relic Castle after beating the game. Knowing you, I think you'll like the little surprise they have in store for the player.

And truly finally, enjoy the storyline. It's a pretty involved storyline and very interesting. Made me appreciate Pok?mon more :)

All the pok?mon advice! I'll have to consider my team carefully :D maybe rotate more than 6 pok?mon just to try more out~ Thanks <3 It's pretty cool that they managed to construct a pretty darn solid pok?dex of All New pok?mon for this region. Perfectly playable without any gen 1-4 pok?mon, right?

Haha you guys make me curious about the post-game stuff already (8

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • All the pok?mon advice! I'll have to consider my team carefully :D maybe rotate more than 6 pok?mon just to try more out~ Thanks <3 It's pretty cool that they managed to construct a pretty darn solid pok?dex of All New pok?mon for this region. Perfectly playable without any gen 1-4 pok?mon, right?

Haha you guys make me curious about the post-game stuff already (8

Rotating is definitely an option with so many Pokemon to use and the gyms not being too hard level-wise. Though grinding is a pain this gen so don't have too large of a rotation.

Yeah there are more than plenty of options for constructing a team in this game. And since there is legitimate replay value with these games, you'll have lots of opportunities to use Pokemon you haven't used before!

Back