• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Starter Pokémon, Legendaries, Region, Release Date for Sun and Moon Revealed!

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
  • Honestly I'm the other way. Unova paralelled generation one in so many ways which made me consider Kalos as generation two. Then now you've got Alola which is as tropical as Hoenn - which makes me think that these games will be similar to the third generation in a lot of ways.

There is an argument for that. After all it introduced 151+ new Pokemon, no old ones are encountered during the main game, and B1W1 Unova had the linearity akin to Gen 1 Kanto in some ways. Also if I'm remembering right 5th Gen was supposed to start a return to form for not just old players but to entice new players moreover. Honestly though I think it tried to revisit the feel of Gen 1 AMD for the most part it kinda worked better

On the other hand, I personally felt Gen 6 (specifically X&Y) really hinged on that simplistic back to basics tone that Gen 1 had. The plot was its major comparison and reason for that, as well as for some. In that regard X&Y really didn't feel like it tried to take the undertones Gen 1 had and reinvent them, but rather made the nods much more blatant, while Gen 5 felt more subtle. Dunno it's hard to explain.

GymLeaderLayke

WaterExpertLayke
    Years
  • Guys call me crazy. I did research on the Moon legend I'm convinced that Lunaala is a "Hoary"
    Bat that Is native to Hawaii and is an endangered species but tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Guys call me crazy. I did research on the Moon legend I'm convinced that Lunaala is a "Hoary"
    Bat that Is native to Hawaii and is an endangered species but tell me what you guys think.

Wow I never heard of a hoary before, but seriously seeing these new Pokemon has shown me just how many animals I have never heard of that are apparently fitting in very well with the theme. There is so much attention to detail when you consider all these Hawaiian animals that the new Pokemon are being based off.

GymLeaderLayke

WaterExpertLayke
    Years
  • Wow I never heard of a hoary before, but seriously seeing these new Pokemon has shown me just how many animals I have never heard of that are apparently fitting in very well with the theme. There is so much attention to detail when you consider all these Hawaiian animals that the new Pokemon are being based off.

This is so true!Its so many other things pokemon have and have not been. For instance imagine a Quetzalcoatl pokemon!! ^_^

shellysunfish

Hoenn and cat Pokemon fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    Game Freak/Pokemon made my dream of a cat fire stater come true.
    I have been waiting for a Pokemon like Litten for years. I hope it like
    it's evolution, and won't be let down. I'm hoping for a fire/Dark tiger.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Another end. species? Hmm, I'm noticing a theme here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but lions are also an end. species, or close to that point.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2017
    When do we typically get the last evolutions of the starters or at least info on their typing? And when do we usually get more new Pokemon revealed?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • When do we typically get the last evolutions of the starters or at least info on their typing? And when do we usually get more new Pokemon revealed?

I'd say quite close to the release date. X/Y starter evos were leaked beginning of October which was the month those games actually got released. It could be earlier this time around but I'd guess late October/early November for the final stages.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    They don't reveal the final stages because they like them to be a surprise. (They said as much.) But they get leaked lol.

Typically get leaked right before the games come out, but the designs are finalized way earlier than that. Greninja was being developed in Smash about a year earlier from XY's release, we know that much.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Yeah they've mentioned before that the 3D models mean that the cost (in lost time) of changing a design while the artists are working on the character is much greater than simply changing some pixels on a sprite, so designs are locked-in earlier.

caminferno30

Ice Master
    Years
  • I feel like this will be at least a little bit like Kanto and Johto. In Kanto and Johto, the professors give you your starter pokemon directly. In all other gens, your starter is even given to you by circumstance or by an assistant/rival who got it from the professor. In the trailer you see a man throw 3 different pokeballs which has the 3 starters in them. I can only assume that he is the professor of the region with a little Japanese thrown in, if his belt has anything to say about it. Personally, I might choose Popplio because there will be a lot of travelling by water. That might be for naught though based off of Hoenn. Either way, I'm not "fully" choosing in the fully-evolved forms come out. See what I do there.

Years
  • When do we typically get the last evolutions of the starters or at least info on their typing? And when do we usually get more new Pokemon revealed?

Like the others mentioned, we don't usually find out the final stages until around the point of the game release. Middle stages mostly get revealed a month or two before release.

Years
  • So apperantly somone did some digging into the coding of the starter pics and found six types. The four we know belong to the starters, along with Fighting and Ground. Fighting and Water were before Fire and Ground, leading some to think that Popplio will indeed be Water/Fighting (like I had suggested) in it's final stage, while Litten will be Fire/Ground. That'll be like a mix of Sinnoh and Kalos when it comes to type advantage.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    So apperantly somone did some digging into the coding of the starter pics and found six types. The four we know belong to the starters, along with Fighting and Ground. Fighting and Water were before Fire and Ground, leading some to think that Popplio will indeed be Water/Fighting (like I had suggested) in it's final stage, while Litten will be Fire/Ground. That'll be like a mix of Sinnoh and Kalos when it comes to type advantage.

This is fairly old news and was posted here. The order they were discovered in was also
    Grass as 01.png
    Flying as 02.png
    Ground as 03.png
    Fire as 04.png
    Water as 05.png
    Fighting as 06.png

Based on the ordering, Litten wouldn't be Fire/Ground since the type comes before Litten's type. The current theory due to the specific ordering is that Rowlet loses the Flying type as it evolves and gains the Ground Type. Litten stays pure Fire and Popplio becomes Water/Fighting.

Years
  • I don't mind Popplio's final evolution being Fighting but I'm curious as to how they'd incorporate that typing combo into it's design, motif, etc. Popplio just screams your typical, dual Water/Ice type to me. I just hope they don't make it bipedal and go the Blaziken route. :/

Years
  • This is fairly old news and was posted here. The order they were discovered in was also
    Grass as 01.png
    Flying as 02.png
    Ground as 03.png
    Fire as 04.png
    Water as 05.png
    Fighting as 06.png

Based on the ordering, Litten wouldn't be Fire/Ground since the type comes before Litten's type. The current theory due to the specific ordering is that Rowlet loses the Flying type as it evolves and gains the Ground Type. Litten stays pure Fire and Popplio becomes Water/Fighting.
    I saw the trend after I posted that xD. Should've mentioned when I first found out a week ago.

So people think Rowlet will pull a reverse Ninjask? I rather it stay flying as it keeps it's unique for starters type.

As for Popplio being a water/fighting, I mentioned before this rumor was known that perhaps it'll evolve into a 'strongman', a kind of circus performer due to it's pose where it puffs out it's chest and folds it's flippers. Since Popplio is a Clown it becoming another kind of circus performer makes sense.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2016
    currently i don't have a favourite i will have to wait to see their evolution chains but out of the starters poplio is definitelymy least favourite out of the 3

Years
  • I think the new starters have a great design! those little details are amazing.. like rowlett is turning his head...littens hair on the back...
    hmm what can i say about popplio?
    He is just so happy haha
    but yeah I had to watch the trailer a few times....the more I saw them...the more i liked them :D

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Interesting point made by GameXplain is how Caitlin could return. First was the silhouette with the names under them from the Japanese trailer, one of these names being Caitlin. Even though it was the Japanese trailer, there were parts from it that contained English names which wouldn't exactly debunk that theory. Not only that but in the Unova games she talks about how she has Villas all over the world, not to mention how she transitioned from head of Battle Tower in PT/HGSS to Elite Four in BWB2W2. Most importantly more of her dialogue reads "Will I be Champion somewhere next? Who knows!" I could be reading a little too much into this, but it does seem like a possibility?

Years
  • I love all three Starter Pokemon. I would normally go with Popplio, but I love Litten and Rowlet too. The Legendaries look awesome too. I pre-ordered Pokemon Moon already, but I might have to pre-order Pokemon Sun too.

Back