• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime Contract Challenge 5

Years
  • Anime Contract Challenge 5

It's that time again! The Anime Contract Challenge is an event that runs once a month, giving people a chance to share their love for their favourite series' with others and discover cool new shows to watch.

The way this works is simple. You just comment in this thread to let me know you're participating. then after about a week you get RNG'd a partner. You and your partner exchange shows for each other to watch, then at the end of the month post a short review here letting us know what you think of it.

Don't worry though, this is a pretty casual thing. There's no pressure to make it all the way through your contracted series (or to like it). Just get through as far as you can. As a helpful tip, check out each other's MyAnimeList (or similar) to help make good choices for one another. Have fun!

Participants

gimmepie
    Uzumaki Naruto
    Twiggy
    Marth
    Doge
    donavannj
    O'aka XXIII
    SirBoglor
    Machomuu
    Lipstick Vogue

Last edited:
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Alright, let's start this off then. The pairings for this ACC are as follows

gimmepie and Twiggy
    Machomuu and SirBoglor
    donavannj and O'aka XXIII
    Marth and Lipstick Vogue
    Doge and Uzumaki Naruto

Have fun!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I got Darker than Black and gave Senkaiden Houshin Engi

Haven't started mine,yet, due to school and stuff, but I'll have a lot more time after this week, so I'll probably watch it then.

Years
  • I just finished K-On!

Honestly, I found it a little hard to get into at first. In the first few episodes it felt like aside from Yui the main characters didn't really have thought out characters and just filled whatever role was needed at the time. It wasn't bad for this, but it felt a bit jarring. I think it was from around episode three that I was able to enjoy it to its fullest.

The characters were interesting, because at first I found it a bit hard to peg their personalities but after a while the diversity to the characters became depth. A lot of moe-blob shows like this tend to pigeon hole characters with a single trait and whilst I wouldn't say the characters in K-On! were super deep there was a little nuance there. For example, Mio wasn't just the stern foil character she's also squeemish and timid with quirks of her own. I liked that.

Obviously there's not really any story to talk about since it was your typical self-contained, episodic slice-of-life but that's how the genre is meant to be. The focus is on the comedy and the interaction between characters and those aspects of the show were done really well.

The art was nice too. Not breathtaking in any way, but nice to look at and in no way jarring. The animation was smooth. As for the sound, I'm never going to listen to the soundtrack but there was nothing wrong with it either. My only complaint is that they made Yui the lead vocalist when Mio's voice actress is far better singer.

K-On! wasn't amazing, it wasn't a masterpiece and it wasn't deep. It isn't meant to be though so that's fine. It was a fun watch and it made me chuckle and that's what it's meant to do. It gets a solid 6/10 from me and I will be watching the second season.

Back